There are 164 users in the forums

Assessing Receivers and the OL: We NEED Upgrades

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Snyder is a valuable player as he can play all OL positions. Not as a starter but when one guy can play at five different positions thats good. Receivers we need some. Would like one that can find seperation and can catch the damn ball. I also think we need some help at RB as Gore seems to have lost his explosiveness he was never fast but he use to explode thru the line. Hunter is fine for change up and Dixon he been around and he isnt really producing.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I too would like to discussed these issues of need without throwing Smith into this. There's a Smith thread that is talk aplenty about Smith. Really like to talk about the other 2/3 part of the passing game. And I really don't want to include VD or D. Walker into this since they aren't full time WR, though they may run some routes downfield.

Amen!
Originally posted by Southeast:
Staley is not a franchise left- tackle. He needs to be on the right side that is his natural position. Sign Jared Geither put him on the left side much more talented, put staley on right side. Cut chilo, synder ok for back up, move Davis to guard. Look to get Nicks from New Orleans. Now the line is a dominate line. Draft a play maker or two at receiver position.

You should see other Left-Tackles in the NFL if you dont think Joe-Staley is a franchise Left tackle.. for goodness sake no LT can block a DE,LB,and a CB like the ravens were throwing on him while our Center and Left guard sat around shuffling there feet to air.. Not to mention hes a starter for the NFC pro bowl i believe?
OL and WR solutions from my point of view :

- sign Robert Meachem in FA
+
- draft a 2nd/3rd rounder like Fuller-Streeter-Hill-McNutt-Randle

- move Anthony D to RG.. no shame in that, and he'll be great there
- insert Alex Boone at RT... he won't disappoint
- draft an OT in the first 4 rounds for swing-duty
- focus Kilgore at C to push Goodwin

FTW !!!
anyont davis has made great strides at T no holdin penalties minimal false starts

he has been extremelly solid for us this yearand at 21 or 22 he will get much better
HOPEFULLY Alshon Jeffery falls on the 49ers lap, not fast but have the strength and size 6'4.
Originally posted by oldman9er:

+

FTW !!!

That's a lot of moves for getting rid of Chilo

+

FTW !!!

I really like this! Makes good use of the players the 9ers already have and doesn't rush anything (or screw up any continuity they have already built). Only question would be can Kilgore play center next year if Goodwin goes down? Keeping Snyder might be good insurance. He and Person would be backups at OT. Bye bye Rachal?

Meachem seems to be third receiver in NO? Are the two other guys that good? Or has he lost something?
Staley- Can we please stop talking about him. He is our LT for the future and does his job so well that he is starting in the pro bowl.
Iupati- Needs to improve pass protection but is already one of the best run blocking guards in the league in year 2 and will be going to Hawaii if NO goes to the SB
Goodwin- Center could have been a disaster for us this year, IMO Goodwin did a good enough job to earn him another year and he too will go to Hawaii if GB is in SB
Snyder- Stepped up to the plate when Chilo's suckness was too much to ignore. I would prefer to have him as injury insurance next season off the bench as he may be the best 6th lineman in the league and may be too valuable as a backup to stay at RG permanently. Don't know enough about Kilgore to know if he is the answer.
Davis- This guys could be a monster for us for years to come. I attribute any of his problems to age and rawness. To put it in perspective, we will likely draft somebody out of college who is older than Davis this coming draft. He could be our future LT in like 7 years when he is 29 and Staley is 34.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

+

FTW !!!

I really like this! Makes good use of the players the 9ers already have and doesn't rush anything (or screw up any continuity they have already built). Only question would be can Kilgore play center next year if Goodwin goes down? Keeping Snyder might be good insurance. He and Person would be backups at OT. Bye bye Rachal?

Meachem seems to be third receiver in NO? Are the two other guys that good? Or has he lost something?

Kilgore and Chase Beeler can get long looks to see where they are in their development. Either should be able to push for a real shot at C, if not 2012, then 2013. Just depend on what they have been showing... which we as fans, really haven't a clue.

I also like keeping Snyder as a versatile OL. I'd pay him roughly 2 mil per year to hang on to that quality depth. Rachal, I would kick in the arse on the way out the door... just terrible player and a waste.

The Saints spread the ball around so much, and people underestimate just how excellent Colston and Lance Moore are. Between those two and Graham / Sproles getting so many passes their way? Meachem is being horribly underutilized. He's the exact type of WR we need. Awesome character...talent to be a #1, but no so obvious that this #1 status would take away from Crabtree also being a #1. So we would in essence have two #1s yet neither being elite... yet.... if that makes sense.

I thought Meachem is an emerging talent but could be wrong.

So we would in essence have two #1s yet neither being elite... yet.... if that makes sense.

Yes, and I like this approach of having good solid players spreading the field. Along with the TEs and RBs the 9ers already have, this would be awesome. Morgan and Williams, along with Crabtree and Meachem, would be a very solid group. Wondered about Meachem because he was so good and not seeing many balls--glad to hear it is due to quality depth and not an injury. If he is a character guy as well then the 9ers wouldn't have to worry about meltdowns as in NYJ!
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
I think Dwight Jones or Peter Konz would do nicely for what we need. Shoot, if things roll our way we could have Jones and Konz, but that is probably unlikely.

i dont get the need for konz or any C we have goodwon hes been solid for us and is riding a 3 year contract

just get one down the road or one later in the draft to develop
also if im not mistaken dont we have a C in PS that played for stanford?

he's one of the better C prospects that has come out the past few years

Goodwin is not a long term answer

Agreed.

Konz also plays RG. Versatility is always a bonus.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
An upgrade at QB would make the O-line and Wr's look better, Alex is fine for now, but anyone who thinks we have found our franchise is fooling themselves, Alex is better than average but we need hold to a higher standard.

higher than average after 1 year with no offseason

what arguement is there he wont get better with a full offseason?

especially when everyone who previously taught him said in order for him to be an elite qb he needs to learn the system thouroughlt before he goes out an plays

(also lets not forget what montana said earlier that WCO usually takes 2 years to learn anyway)

The only problem I see, is this Alex has a very average arm. Now having an average arm is not a deal breaker, Joe Montana did very well with an average NFL arm. Joe made up for it with accuracy, anticipation, and confidence. Confidence and anticipation is where I see the problem. JH and Alex are a great combo, but JH does not encourage risk taking. Alex does not and never will have cannon of an arm, he is what he is. Alex is coached to only make the safe throws, with out a big arm and lacking in anticipation, Alex will never be a great QB. If JH can teach Alex to have better anticipation, perhaps he will develop more confidence. I for one am okay with Alex at the helm, but it would be foolish not to keep looking for the next great QB.

Please, folks, let's not derail this into an Alex Smith thread!
This is what I'm trying to avoid. We all know a better QB would make the other units looks at least marginally "less bad" or however you want to phrase it, but the fact of the matter is, we are looking at these units irrespective of QB play.

When you do that, and view them separately, and see my analysis given, it's clear we need upgrades to support our offense, no matter who is behind center. We need to protect every QB, elite or not. (Regardless, elite QB's neither grow on trees nor do they just fall in your lap with ease either.) And we need to bolster our receiving talent if we want to become an even more dominant and dynamic offense like Green Bay, New England, and New Orleans. We need guys that can catch short passes and take them to the house on any given play. We need guys that are nearly unstoppable and almost indefensible in the redzone.

Again, what better way to support your QB on offense, whether it's a guy like Brady, Alex Smith, or a young gun like Kaepernick waiting in the wings, than to build up the offense around him so that you build yourself a collectively DOMINANT unit as a whole.

OOPs../my bad.

We are one NFL caliber Wr and a right guard short of total dominance! Morgan and Crabs are our two best, and they are simply average, our O-line is actually very good, our Qb has to hold the ball a little too long, some of that his fault, but most of that, is our WR fail to get separation....and Chilo Rachel sucks HUGE donkey balls, that is all.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

So we would in essence have two #1s yet neither being elite... yet.... if that makes sense.

Yes, and I like this approach of having good solid players spreading the field. Along with the TEs and RBs the 9ers already have, this would be awesome. Morgan and Williams, along with Crabtree and Meachem, would be a very solid group. Wondered about Meachem because he was so good and not seeing many balls--glad to hear it is due to quality depth and not an injury. If he is a character guy as well then the 9ers wouldn't have to worry about meltdowns as in NYJ!

Yeah, Meachem has continued to impress me. Neither he nor Crabtree have the lofty status of overshadowing the other. Both are showing roughly the same talent level right now, yet Meachem offers more in size and speed, and would be better than anyone we could get in the draft.

When Meachem was a draft prospect, there was this great article about him. Talked about how he grew up on a farm... everything was, "yes, sir... no, sir"... All kinds of great quality instilled in him. We have cap room that will go quickly once we start turning to re-signing our own FAs... but the only play I am wanting us to make as far as outside targets... is this guy. Then, if for whatever reason we can not? Then, I'll look around some more.
Share 49ersWebzone