LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 398 users in the forums

Defending Jimmy Graham

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:
Take out his knees and hope he tears a ligament

O look it's Goldson!
Cully is a big fast dude do you think he would be able to shadow him all game?? That's all I got. I think he would eat Willis lunch
To defend Graham properly, a number of things must happen. First, be physical with him at the LOS; and I'm not talking about playing that patty cake sh*t, I'm talking about what Singletary referred to as "physical with an F." Second, hit Brees HARD and hit him often, just don't draw a personal foul lol. Third, gotta have a safety over the top. Even if we have the almighty PW covering Graham, it is still a mismatch in favor of the saints and Drew Brees would exploit that as much as he possibly can. It should be very interesting to see how Fangio schemes this one up.
Willis and Bowman have the speed to run with him , plus a nice shot from Whitner or Goldson will take the wind out of his sails
The one thing that Manny Lawson was good at was being 6'5" with long arms and real fast in coverage. Too bad we got rid of him. Oh well. We don't have anybody more suited to defend that guy than what we used to have.
make sure LB or DE press him and put culliver or goldson on him.
Brees has to go down early, and go down hard.....from the very one and only AL...RIP
Originally posted by niners9:

Problem with this is that NO has seven receivers with more than 30 catches. You double Graham they have plenty of talent elsewhere. Not sure how they will play them but it will be a challenge. Hitting Brees seems like a logical way to slow the air game down. Also agree with those who want to hit him at the LOS (Graham, not Brees) and keep him off his route.

Note: I hated when Singletary kept saying physical with an F! He also said they weren't going to try and fool anyone...great strategy--be obvious and dumb!
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Jan 6, 2012 at 8:42 AM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Problem with this is that NO has seven receivers with more than 30 catches. You double Graham they have plenty of talent elsewhere. Not sure how they will play them but it will be a challenge. Hitting Brees seems like a logical way to slow the air game down. Also agree with those who want to hit him at the LOS (Graham, not Brees) and keep him off his route.

Note: I hated when Singletary kept saying physical with an F! He also said they weren't going to try and fool anyone...great strategy--be obvious and dumb!

i just want someone to hit him then have culliver or goldson cover him. no double cover, because like u said they have several good recievers
Goldson Low, Willis high, he's done.

Originally posted by ninertico:
Um...our defense lines up against this type of TE every practice. Maybe you've heard of him....Vernon Davis. Ring a bell? Vernon's leaping ability rivals or maybe surpasses Graham's.

We will be prepared for him as well as the entire Saints O. I welcome the challenge, but we do match up well as long as both Willis and Bowman are 100% healthy as most likely Willis will cover him like he did against Pettigrew from Detroit. Yes, he scored once, but many attempts were thrown his way. Willis did a great job in that game.

We shall see just how healthy Willis is as they will test him.

Yes Willis did do a decent job but that was also due to the inaccuracy of Stafford. There were 2 plays that SHOULD HAVE BEEN touchdowns. The first seem route that Stafford threw too low to a 6'6 target that Willis was able to make a great play on and I believe a corner route that Pettigrew beat Willis on but Stafford threw it out of the endzone.

Graham will be a tough cover no doubt about it.
  • Jacka
  • Veteran
The Niners D is actually better equipped than almost any other defense to handle Graham. No other team has two ILB who can play on all 3 downs and cover either backs or TE's like Willis and Bowman. I imagine we will high low Graham with Willis and Goldson. Our CB's match up better with the Saints Wr's than they would with a team like Green Bay (Jennings and Nelson) where it would be more difficult to get away with this scheme.

Another poster mentioned Willis covering Pettigrew in the Det game. Pettigrew isn't at the level that Graham is which is why Willis was able to match up 1 on 1 and we used the High Low technique on Calvin Johnson. Bowman will most likely be responsible for keeping on an eye on Sproles out of the backfield. I think he is more equipped to handle the shiftier backs that Willis (he is a little more fluid in coverage).

Either way with are ability to not have to consistently bring more than 4 pass rushers will allow us to do this. I like this matchup for SF's defense.
i just want someone to hit him then have culliver or goldson cover him. no double cover, because like u said they have several good recievers

Ahh, yes! They need to be able to pass him off down the field so Willis won't have to cover deep. Some zone might be necessary disquised so Brees doesn't pick it apart!
If he catches the call, gang bang him and rape the ball from him, over and over again.
do NOT let Donte Whitner cover him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Share 49ersWebzone