LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 329 users in the forums

Joe Montana vs Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let's wait until Smith plays in the postseason before we have any Montana comparisons
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex is way better than Joe.

Ummm, please tell me you are joking.

Lol, you must be new here.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by susweel:
Alex is way better than Joe.

Ummm, please tell me you are joking.

You don't know Sus
Originally posted by Joecool:
I think Alex Smith is vary comparable to Joe Montana. Joe had his limitations in throwing ability but he had three things combined that were better than any other QB if you look at those three as a package: accuracy, athletic ability, and knowing the outcome of a play (studying) and delivering that outcome before it happened (executing).

Make that four things.

Alex is missing the execution part as he passes up potential plays and goes a safer or different route.

In my criticisms of Alex, I never said we need or should get another QB. It has always been when someone wants to make things up about his ability.

Physically they are a little similar. Both not the biggest guys and not the strongest arms. Alex has gotten a lot better at reading the field and making the right decision of where to go with the ball.
Originally posted by tjd808185:
You're comparing stats in the 80's to stats in 2011. Let me end this debate for you.

We finished 7th in passing in 1981.

We finished 29th in passing in 2011.

Do you understand the difference between the eras? It's like comparing someone's stats in the roid era compared to someone in the 70's. 35 home runs not a big deal in 1999. 1979 that's a d*mn good year.

A lot of that is based on attempts too. We don't pass much because we have a good defense and play a conservative brand of football.
Share 49ersWebzone