LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 200 users in the forums

Why can't we do something about the refs?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Refs actually do a good job. Of course they are going to miss calls. The speed of the game alone makes their job almost impossible. If they continually make bad calls they will lose their job. Overall I think we have been the recipients of some unlucky calls this year, but most of them could of gone either way. The worst call was the chop block against Gore vs the Ravens. That call by itself may have cost us the game.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
by Patrick Willis, naked....

wheres the rest of the picture
Originally posted by gold49digger:

raping the refs....
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Every week I watch games in which the refs make bad calls (it seems more often than not against the 49ers), frequently resulting in putting points on or taking points off the board. These are potentially game-affecting decisions, and it seems to me that something should be done about it.

For too long, officials have been untouched. Neither HCs nor players can speak out against officials or they could be fined or even suspended. This is also true in baseball (and I assume basketball).

Meanwhile, IMHO, refs are being paid off in some cases; bribed to tilt a game in one direction or another. I have no evidence of this, but doesn't it make sense? Consider the amount of money waged on football games every year. There are certainly those out there who would engage in unscrupulous behavior to win a bet; what would stop them from offering bribes to NFL officials? In such an event, do any of you really believe that there are no officials who would be tempted by such an offer?

I'm not saying this is happening; I am only saying it certainly could be happening. So why are NFL refs above reproach? Who oversees the refs (and I don't mean the officials' own organization)?

Your thoughts, please.

Which call in particular are you referring to?
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
they should all be raped then shot after a bad call. That should fix the situation.

I am wearing a TuTu and nobody knows
  • THEB
  • Veteran
i think there needs to be a challenge system for penalties. Something like you get your 2 regular red flag for normal challenges, but you also get 2 green (or whatever color) flags for penalty challenges. You cannot challenge a non penalty in any situation. Example being you think it was pass interference but it wasnt called. You can only challenge penalties that were called. Each penalty would cost a timeout just like normal, but you still only get your 3 timeouts for all 4 challenge flags.

I dont understand why something like this couldnt be implemented. Penalties ruin games way more than normal bad calls do
They could call holding on every play if they wanted to. Some penalties I don't know how they could miss. I'm not only talking about 49er games. You see some receivers push off and don't get called. Michael Irvin was famous for doing that. Late hits on the QB are not always called. Maybe they have a star system like in the NBA. The good players get the calls and the scrubs don't. Sometimes they'll call a penalty on a ticky-tack play and then let an obvious penalty go uncalled. I'm 48 and I still think there are some shady dealings in all sports. A lot of it is subjective, I guess.
We need to activate it for make benefit better officiating....

I Don't think the Refs are fixing the games, I think they are making sure one side or the other covers the spread, or fails to cover the spread. So not to be dumb but if the 49ers are favored by 6 the could still fail to cover the spread but still win the game. make sense?
Originally posted by longtime49erfan:
Every week I watch games in which the refs make bad calls (it seems more often than not against the 49ers),

LOL.

Never blame on malice what can be explained by incompetence.
Originally posted by gold49digger:

raping the refs....

lol
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Like the quote goes, never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity. Or mere human fallibility. By human standards, the refs overall do an amazing job, but they are still bound by limitations of our species. That's why, ever since I was a kid, I've dreamed of machines taking their place.

While I chalk 99% of bad calls to the above, I do find it hard to believe that refs never try to fix a game. There have probably been a few bad apples who've done it over the years to make ends meet or pay for a tropical vacation.
Louieville slugger? Seriously tho, it happens to everyteam there are missed calls! But the so blatent in your face f**k ups are rediculous.
Anyone remember the refs f**kup on the overtime coin flip! Bettis got screwed! They literally said he called the oposite of what he called! Yr we last beat greenbay, holmgrens last game as packer coach
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Just watched this great whiteboard series by ex-lineman Brian Holloway explaining what goes on in halftime locker rooms, and in the last part he explains how the "fringe players" are potential threats to steal from their teammates: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYPzQH98PUk&feature=player_embedded

He goes into all sorts of reasons why. They're very believable and I'm sure refs, in rare isolated incidents, have fixed games for similar reasons.
[ Edited by vaden on Jan 3, 2012 at 1:06 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone