There are 152 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Why can't we do something about the refs?

Every week I watch games in which the refs make bad calls (it seems more often than not against the 49ers), frequently resulting in putting points on or taking points off the board. These are potentially game-affecting decisions, and it seems to me that something should be done about it.

For too long, officials have been untouched. Neither HCs nor players can speak out against officials or they could be fined or even suspended. This is also true in baseball (and I assume basketball).

Meanwhile, IMHO, refs are being paid off in some cases; bribed to tilt a game in one direction or another. I have no evidence of this, but doesn't it make sense? Consider the amount of money waged on football games every year. There are certainly those out there who would engage in unscrupulous behavior to win a bet; what would stop them from offering bribes to NFL officials? In such an event, do any of you really believe that there are no officials who would be tempted by such an offer?

I'm not saying this is happening; I am only saying it certainly could be happening. So why are NFL refs above reproach? Who oversees the refs (and I don't mean the officials' own organization)?

Your thoughts, please.
every fan thinks this
make them full time employees
I used to be certain of this when i was like 16 man. Now i just say whatever, everyone here will call you crazy and although i dont think they're taking bribes anymore, i understand the sentiment. There has been at least ONE HORRIBLE GAME CHANGING CALL every other game day against the 49ers this year. Huge calls, like the one against dallas and the next play they score a TD on the slant to miles austin. Ginns called back TD, and several others. Seems like a lot to me.
If you find a way to bribe them I got 5 on it.
Originally posted by cwilson830:

It's not just us. It happens in most games in the NFL. There are always inexplicable calls. I'm starting to come around to the idea of a professional referee who can be fined, sanctioned, and sacked by the NFL as well as publishing a transparent to the fans rating/evaluation system which rewards and punishes the zebras.
Kidnap their kids and hold them as ransom so we get all the calls.
Originally posted by horsecore:

Put me down for $100 while you are at it
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Originally posted by horsecore:

Put me down for $100 while you are at it

High roller in the house.
Refs need to be held accountable, the same as players and coaches. There is no reason that penalties can't be reviewed, at least certain penalties. The head to head collision (defenseless receiver) one is huge.

They should also be fined for bad calls. I have no idea why the NFL gives them so much unchecked power.
they should all be raped then shot after a bad call. That should fix the situation.
Originally posted by Furlow:
Refs need to be held accountable, the same as players and coaches. There is no reason that penalties can't be reviewed, at least certain penalties. The head to head collision (defenseless receiver) one is huge.

They should also be fined for bad calls. I have no idea why the NFL gives them so much unchecked power.

How do we know that they aren't already being fined, behind closed doors?
As true in all major sports, big market teams will always get the calls. They generate more money. Just look at the tuck rule or either of the Steelers last two Superbowl victories. Its just the way it is. Its all about the money.
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
they should all be raped then shot after a bad call. That should fix the situation.

by Patrick Willis, naked....