LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 216 users in the forums

How many more years is Gore our starter?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

How many more years is Gore our starter?

I think he still has something left in the tank, but no doubt he was not his usual self this year. I'd like to see Hunter get more carries, maybe go 60/40 with Frank.
One of the turning points of the game came when Dixon got tripped up on that drive in the middle of the field. Gore was starting to slice and dice them, then he took himself out. I can't believe how gassed this guy looks when he barley jogs to the sideline. Dixon got tripped and then stayed in on a short yardage situation. We never ran the ball with that much rhythm after Gore came out.

I hope he only has 1 year left and then he needs to be a back up who has really good vision.
I think the 5 game 100 yard rushing streak was more a product of Harbaughs system. Once teams caught on, his production dropped. If you look at yards per carry, Hunter had similar if not better numbers during that stretched. He's still productive, but I think the long runs are a thing of the past.

With the personel packages Harbaught likes to throw out there, I would love for us to find a big bruising back in the mold of Bettis or Means.
We need to find his replacement soon. I think he has 1-2 good years with a slight decline in each.
Originally posted by pakalolo415:
i know he fumbled at least once this year against the bucs in the redzone. but then carlos rogers took it back for a pick 6

He also fumbled @Cincy
Originally posted by 49erfrick:
I was impressed with him not fumbling the ball this year. He used to fumble at least once in every other game in previous years.

That's exaggerating. He's fumbled 24 times in 100 games.
Originally posted by LifelongNiner:
Yes, the guy who average about 5 yards per carry in the playoffs is really running on empty. Let's replace him NOW.

This....

I love Harbs, and give him all the credit in the world for this team, but i will never understand why we didnt run the s**t out of the ball against the giants. The middle was open for gore all day and the edges were there for kendal on the outside.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by bigwads:
I don't understand why Dixon doesn't play more. Good things happen when he touches the ball.

not sure if serious?
which reminds me. 3rd and 1. why the hell is Dixon on the field??? That's Gore territory! Or Hunter even, he finishes runs moving forward.
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
not sure if serious?
which reminds me. 3rd and 1. why the hell is Dixon on the field??? That's Gore territory! Or Hunter even, he finishes runs moving forward.

dixon is a waste of a roster spot
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
not sure if serious?

I agree

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by PRIMETIME21:
not sure if serious?

I agree

The guy plays special teams all year then gets carries in the NFC Championship game when we could score to put the game away
  • BobS
  • Veteran
He will be 29 before next season starts, that is the beginning of old age for an NFL running back. I give him one more year as a starter and that is it.
2 years. We draft WR's and skill positions this year. 2013 we go after DL, LB's, and more WR's. 2014 we get a new RB.
I love the guy, warrior. But Frankly (pun intended), his burst if gone and he spends half the season nicked up. They need to add a young back to the roster ASAP that they can groom to become the "bell cow." I expect a RB in round 3 or 4 of the draft.

Hunter is looking good, but he seems to be more of a relief back because he didn't seem very effective between the tackles -- THEN AGAIN, who did this season! That falls on the OL problems.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Gore will stay the starter next year, but I look for more and more reps for Hunter.
Share 49ersWebzone