LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

vernon davis jumping on deep pass routes

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Shaj - I don't think they mean agility, etc - but I'd rather say hands ... I would like to get a receiver (TE or WR) with like Brent Jones-type hands.

That is on my wish list for the draft...a go to guy with glue for hands.
Originally posted by Shaj:
how is it some people here think VD doesn't have agility? Isn't agility the rate of change of speed? He has the unique ability to shift gears for someone his size, giving him a competitive advantage over both CBs and esp LBs, whichever have the dubious distinction of covering him. Not sure what these posters are seeing that I'm not.

They overanalyze him. He's one of the best TE's in the leauge. But they think he is TEH SSUUUXXOOORRSSS....

2009: 965 yards, 13 TD's.

2010: 914 yards, 7 TD's.

2011: 792 yards, 6 TD's. (double coverage in every game in 2011)

3 years total = 2,671 yards, 26 TD's.

3 year average = 890.33 yards per year, 8.67 TD's per year.

That's TEH SSUUUXXOOORRSSS... Wish we had a good TE.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
They overanalyze him. He's one of the best TE's in the leauge. But they think he is TEH SSUUUXXOOORRSSS....

Not over analyzing, as everyone (I think) believes he is a great player. Just missing the Brent Jones type of clutch hands when times are tight. I would compare VD to a fast WR in value + his blocking, making him an unusual match up nightmare. As stated before, I believe he will continue to work hard and be even better and I hope he does some of the Fitgerald type drills to help him improve adjustments.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:

Not over analyzing, as everyone (I think) believes he is a great player. Just missing the Brent Jones type of clutch hands when times are tight. I would compare VD to a fast WR in value + his blocking, making him an unusual match up nightmare. As stated before, I believe he will continue to work hard and be even better and I hope he does some of the Fitgerald type drills to help him improve adjustments.

He could use some Fitzgerald type drills to work on his hands. VD is not a natural pass catcher. So you will always have some drops. But the overwhelming amount of talent makes him easily WORTH IT despite an occasional drop.

What we need is a tall or fast WR with good hands. Braylon Edwards fizzled out to be a big nothing. Imagine if we had a tall, productive WR working the edges. Then the double teams would go away. And you would be looking at 13 TD's again and around 1,000 yards...
[ Edited by SanDiego49er on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM ]
imo he needs tow ork on his hands

but SD is right he will take advantage of the one on one any time and any day f the week

but in order for him to be one on one we gotta get a good WR in this offseason to take the coverage off of him

Perspective. TWO TE broke records this year, one was a 2nd year player. I noticed this was remarkably absent from your list of stats:

Drops: 18t Vernon Davis SF 6

I'm thinking somebody has Tom Brady throwing to him....

I would throw to VD 10 times a game and live with a few drops. His talent level is rediculous. And his #'s would be even greater if we threw to him more.

Perspective. TWO TE broke records this year, one was a 2nd year player. I noticed this was remarkably absent from your list of stats:

I would throw to VD 10 times a game and live with a few drops. His talent level is rediculous. And his #'s would be even greater if we threw to him more.

he needs to learn to stop dancing and truck fools
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
imo he needs tow ork on his hands

but SD is right he will take advantage of the one on one any time and any day f the week

but in order for him to be one on one we gotta get a good WR in this offseason to take the coverage off of him

A big productive WR on the outside and VD's #'s would go from great to outright rediculous. If you couldn't double cover him and box cover him in the zone VD would be declared illegal he would be so unfair....

also you cant doublt growk or jimmy graham

colston, meachem and moore on saints all take advantage of 1 on 1

and on patriots welker and hernandez take advantage of one on one

we just have crabtree (if that) and he was injured for a lot of the year

how is it some people here think VD doesn't have agility? Isn't agility the rate of change of speed? He has the unique ability to shift gears for someone his size, giving him a competitive advantage over both CBs and esp LBs, whichever have the dubious distinction of covering him. Not sure what these posters are seeing that I'm not.

Probably more like lateral movement
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

also you cant doublt growk or jimmy graham

colston, meachem and moore on saints all take advantage of 1 on 1

and on patriots welker and hernandez take advantage of one on one

we just have crabtree (if that) and he was injured for a lot of the year

Crabtree is the only other threat we have. If we had more we would be rediculous. They couldn't just box Davis anymore. Then you would see what he can really be.

Clutch TE statistically better than Davis are:

Jimmy Graham
Rob Gronkowski
Brandon Pettigrew
Tony Gonzalez
Aaron Hernandez
Jason Witten
Kellen Winslow

The point I'm making here is that saying he's the best TE in the league anymore and actually seeing the stats are two different things ....

lol, notice what the common factor on that list is? high level QB. Brady, Brees, Stafford, Romo, Ryan. and Kellen Winslow is NOT better than Vernon Davis.

if you put Vernon Davis on the Saints, hes the best TE in the NFL by a mile.

Dont get me wrong, i like Alex Smith, but hes not the kind of QB that elevates pass catchers numbers to the elite level. So much of being a productive TE is how much your QB looks to you. often times youll see Jason Witten become a blocker for an entire game. other times, hes a pro bowl receiving TE. you cant just point to Gronkowski and say hes better because of this season. Belichick calls a brilliant offensive gameplan, and a HOF QB throws the ball 40-50 times a game. he has to be good, but hes benefiting from the system.

you have to look at each TE and say "would they be BETTER than Davis in his place on the 49ers? or, would Davis be able to do as well as they do if he played on their team instead of SF".

VD would at least match or exceed every one of those TE if he took their place on those teams, and its hard for me to beleive any of those guys would outperform Davis in our current offense scheme.

Im usually down on VD because of his knack for penalties and drops, but in this case I think its unfair to call those TE better.

were talking about a 6'3, 250 lb. guy who benches 465 lbs. and runs a 4.38 forty. hes easily the most gifted TE in football, and in a more pass friendly offense he would be Antonio Gates in his prime.
  • SaksV
  • Veteran
He needs to call Shannon Sharpe and get some pointers on how to maneuver with all that muscle.
Originally posted by Niners99:
lol, notice what the common factor on that list is? high level QB. Brady, Brees, Stafford, Romo, Ryan. and Kellen Winslow is NOT better than Vernon Davis.

if you put Vernon Davis on the Saints, hes the best TE in the NFL by a mile.

Dont get me wrong, i like Alex Smith, but hes not the kind of QB that elevates pass catchers numbers to the elite level. So much of being a productive TE is how much your QB looks to you. often times youll see Jason Witten become a blocker for an entire game. other times, hes a pro bowl receiving TE. you cant just point to Gronkowski and say hes better because of this season. Belichick calls a brilliant offensive gameplan, and a HOF QB throws the ball 40-50 times a game. he has to be good, but hes benefiting from the system.

you have to look at each TE and say "would they be BETTER than Davis in his place on the 49ers? or, would Davis be able to do as well as they do if he played on their team instead of SF".

VD would at least match or exceed every one of those TE if he took their place on those teams, and its hard for me to beleive any of those guys would outperform Davis in our current offense scheme.

Im usually down on VD because of his knack for penalties and drops, but in this case I think its unfair to call those TE better.

were talking about a 6'3, 250 lb. guy who benches 465 lbs. and runs a 4.38 forty. hes easily the most gifted TE in football, and in a more pass friendly offense he would be Antonio Gates in his prime.

the problem isnt alex

watch the ganes every game vernn is constantly doubled and tripled (vernon and harbaygh both said he is seeing more coverage than in the past)

so the problem is we dont have another legit target to take away attention from him
Share 49ersWebzone