There are 127 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

vernon davis jumping on deep pass routes

• sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
Vernon from 06-08 was just terrible to watch, young and unpolished, but NOWHERE near his potential... 09 was his best season, he was Shaun Hills go to guy, then when Smith came in, Vernon starting getting those big plays down the field and his hands look damn near perfect.. in 2010 he had a minor drop in production as far as catches and td's but still looked solid, this year he had alot more drops than in 09-10, but looks like he needs to work on his hands and routes to get back to that 09-10 form!!! I think both Crabs and Davis need to hit up Jerry and Clark and spend some time with them on and off the field... Crabs this second half of the season has been amazing, 43 rec 566yds 3td and next year will be a true threat and a pro bowl contender, lets not forget he's only 24?? and has battled a foot injury and missed all 3 camps and preseason

lmao wasn't against Houston in '09 when Alex came in at half and hit VD for 3 TDs to nearly bring us back from a big deficit? I thought VD had a beautiful over the shoulder catch that he took to the house but I just found a video of 1 of the other TDs and he jumped for the ball on a seam route and ended up bouncing off a couple Texan DBs and jogged into the endzone.

I personally think he wants to minimize the chance of an interception and go get the ball before someone else does, but it does look like plain old bad technique most of the time.
Originally posted by Joecool:
ever try catching a ball running at full speed as supposed to half speed? it is much harder to carch it running at full speed due to your body and leg movement. jumping stops all that extra movement and it is similar to catching on a standstill. but it limits what you can do after the catch.

Jumping also take away your body control and ability to adjust. Ever try jumping in the air and then turning? Doesn't work very well. Vernon has also been known to stop after a catch and slowly take off. That''s why he doesn't seem to be a natural receiver. That said, he is a work a holic who has made himself a probowl threat year in and year out. Just as I would like Smith to improve, I hope VD does as well. They have a great chemistry together and should continue improving for years to come.
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
ever try catching a ball running at full speed as supposed to half speed? it is much harder to carch it running at full speed due to your body and leg movement. jumping stops all that extra movement and it is similar to catching on a standstill. but it limits what you can do after the catch.

Jumping also take away your body control and ability to adjust. Ever try jumping in the air and then turning? Doesn't work very well. Vernon has also been known to stop after a catch and slowly take off. That''s why he doesn't seem to be a natural receiver. That said, he is a work a holic who has made himself a probowl threat year in and year out. Just as I would like Smith to improve, I hope VD does as well. They have a great chemistry together and should continue improving for years to come.
Its a bad habit and it need needs to be fixed. The only catches he can make are over the shoulder with the jump or on a curl or crossing route. He never catches with his hands and arms extended. Yes he is fast but that will only carry you so far in the league if you cant catch properly.
Davis was drafted by McCloughan who believes more in size/speed/potential than actual football/player production potential. You see this will ALL of McCloughans picks - they're all projects. Some have paid off, some have not. The difference in Baalke's choices, these are players who may not have the measurables but aren't the typical 4 year McCoulghan projects.

We need receiving talent on this team. Davis is fast and big, but not necessarily a natural pass catcher. This is nothing new. It was the same for him at Maryland. The only WRs with reliable hands are Morgan (who isn't all that fast or good at creating separation) and Kyle Williams (who isn't that big but good in the slot). This team needs a Calvin Johson/ AJ Green type receiver - someone with size, speed and HANDS. Hell, I'd even settle for a Victor Cruz.
[ Edited by NinerGM on Jan 2, 2012 at 9:36 PM ]
He jumps whenever he catches any pass. He doesn't catch with his hands he catches with his body.
the 40 yard pass was kinda under thrown, the one a few weeks back he jumped for no reason, and didnt catch it. Might of been the Arizona loss.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
the 40 yard pass was kinda under thrown, the one a few weeks back he jumped for no reason, and didnt catch it. Might of been the Arizona loss.

im watching every play now- (to count the amount of TD drops - i had no plans tonite and without schoolwork kinda bored - lol)

he always jumps on streaks and seams where as on flats and curl rotues he doesnt
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
i think jumping makes it easier to catch because when you leave the ground, your body isnt moving up and and down as it does while you are running. its like catching while standing still.
its a bad habit because your adjustment to the ball and what you can do after to catch it is limited.

I disagree! When your feet are on the ground you have a stable base and don't have to think about landing, body control, etc. The only player I can think of who might catch better by jumping was Walter Payton, because he was a tumbler in gymnastics. Of course, players are all different so perhaps he is using this to force concentration. It could be that, when you are in the air, there is less of a tendency to turn away early to make a move? Interesting...I wonder if he has been asked about this?

The best pass catchers are usually the ones that can run fast but run steady. Legs are pumping but their head is steady as a tank turret.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
The best pass catchers are usually the ones that can run fast but run steady. Legs are pumping but their head is steady as a tank turret.

im a WR/CB its not that much harder as long as its a throw in front of you

jumping is easier to catch it however (less to worry about) but your YAC will definitally decrease as you have to start running again when you come dow
Anyone who has played any form of receiver (WR, TE, RB) knows that the reason a player jumps to catch a football primarily are due to 2 things:

1. The receiver does not trust their own hands
  2. The receiver is scared to be hit and/or injured

I know the second point has been made on this thread, but if you watch Vernon throughout the years, you can tell the issue is primarily that he does not trust his hands. Why? Because when there is no deep DB to hit Vernon and he still jumps up to catch the football, it has nothing to do with the possibility of being hit. There's no one to hit Vernon. He does not have good hands. I don't know if Vernon has small hands, so it's hard to criticize him for doing this.

But from a very basic, fundamental point of view, he needs to understand when you jump and when you don't. The perfect example of how ridiculous this can get is the picture posted by @cwilson830 vs the Rams. Hopefully VD and Crabtree are able to spend some time at training camp for once and they can exchange notes. He IS a hard worker and hopefully this is something he gets better at.

At the end of the day, catch the ball. There is no YAC if there is no catch, so if he's going to drop the ball with his hands, then so be it for now. We're in the playoffs; not something to criticize until March.
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
im a WR/CB its not that much harder as long as its a throw in front of you

jumping is easier to catch it however (less to worry about) but your YAC will definitally decrease as you have to start running again when you come dow

I was a lineman...drop me from a helicopter on top of the ball and it still wouldn't matter! LOL! I'll bow to your receiverization.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
how is it some people here think VD doesn't have agility? Isn't agility the rate of change of speed? He has the unique ability to shift gears for someone his size, giving him a competitive advantage over both CBs and esp LBs, whichever have the dubious distinction of covering him. Not sure what these posters are seeing that I'm not.
Originally posted by Shaj:
how is it some people here think VD doesn't have agility? Isn't agility the rate of change of speed? He has the unique ability to shift gears for someone his size, giving him a competitive advantage over both CBs and esp LBs, whichever have the dubious distinction of covering him. Not sure what these posters are seeing that I'm not.

he has straight line speed, he is not shifty or elusive
[ Edited by jreff22 on Jan 2, 2012 at 10:04 PM ]
Originally posted by Shaj:

Shaj - I don't think they mean agility, etc - but I'd rather say hands ... I would like to get a receiver (TE or WR) with like Brent Jones-type hands.