LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 274 users in the forums

49ers can prove that balance is better than a strong passing offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
The Niners passing offense is ranked 29th in the NFL. It's been good enough for 13-3 becuase our defense usually forces turnovers several times per game in our opponents end of the field. Today for example the Niners started drives on the Rams, 33, 34 and 13 yard line.

When you have an elite defense that keeps handing your offense a short field it tends not to matter much if your passing game isn't worth a damn. The problem comes when your playing against elite team that doesn't turn the ball over (or doesn't do so deep in their own end of the field).

Can the Niners beat the Saints if Drew Brees doesn't throw at least two picks inside the Saints own 40? If they don't turn the ball over our formula for winning doesn't work. We might need Alex to throw for 300 yards and several tds to beat a team like the aints.
[ Edited by nflguy49 on Jan 1, 2012 at 9:46 PM ]
Originally posted by nflguy49:
The Niners passing offense is ranked 29th in the NFL. It's been good enough for 13-3 becuase our defense usually forces turnovers several times per game in our opponents end of the field. Today for example the Niners started drives on the Rams, 33, 34 and 13 yard line.

When you have an elite defense that keeps handing your offense a short field it tends not to matter much if your passing game isn't worth a damn. The problem comes when your playing against elite team that doesn't turn the ball over (or doesn't do so deep in their own end of the field).

Can the Niners beat the Saints if Drew Brees doesn't throw at least two picks inside the Saints own 40? If they don't turn the ball over our formula for winning doesn't work. We might need Alex to throw for 300 yards and several tds to beat a team like the aints.

I say that if the 49ers move the ball down the field like they did against Pittsburgh and have at least that good or better redzone TD conversion, we will have enough offense to win games against anyone.

It's nice to be concerned......but I get this feeling there are way more concerns about NO/GB than you'll see on their forums about us, and that is starting to annoy me because recent history has proven that getting to the SB isn't so automatic for 1st seed teams.
These playoffs will be a function of Alex..Period.
The closest I can think of simulating what the game could be like would be the regular season game last year at the Stick. IIRC, we competed admirably against the Saints and arguably should've won the game. And that was under the Sing regime. Not saying that automatically means we will dominate this year, but that we will match-up well and it'll be, like it has been all season, a close game.
Originally posted by Dr_Bill_Walsh:
We're the Chosen One....only we can bring balance to the Force....

the evil empire is back
Gee, where are we getting the idea that we're a balanced team? If we win, I think we'd be striking a blow for lopsided teams that emphasize defense.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Jan 2, 2012 at 8:44 AM ]
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Gee, where are we getting the idea that we're a balanced team? If we win, I think we'd be striking a blow for lopsided teams that emphasize defense.

2011 Regular Season:

49ers: 993 total plays / 497 rush plays = 50% run

Opponents: 974 total plays / 353 rush plays = 36% run

The Niners are a balanced team because they rely on the run, passing, and defense to secure wins. The Saints, Packers, and Patriots all have very weak run games and very weak defenses with an exceptional pass game being the primary team strength.

Folks get mesmerized by big #'s from QB's in pass happy offenses, and lose sight of the fact that those offenses have become increasingly one-dimensional.

Joe Montana threw for 4,000+ yards exactly zero times in his career. In the 1981 championship season, he had an 88.4 QB rating with 19 TD and 12 INT's.

The 1989 49er team (arguably the best ever) ran 1,021 total plays with 493 of them being rush plays. (48% run)

The 1984 49er team (An 18-1 team that was one B.S. penalty away from being perfect) ran 1,057 total plays with 534 rush plays. (50.5% run)

Balance is much more valuable (and Important) than most half-witted sports writers are willing or able to recognize.
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
2011 Regular Season:

Balance is much more valuable (and Important) than most half-witted sports writers are willing or able to recognize.

I don't think anyone is questioning our balance within the offense, but I was under the impression that we're talking about the teams as wholes. In that respect, it seems more reasonable to think of us as being the analogue of the pass happy teams. After all, our balance on offense--like all aspects of this team--is driven by the defense's prowess.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
You can start a list of things. The balance is huge as you may remember in the lions game the tv folks were saying the lions had no idea what was coming which is a tribute to the coaches and the players for carrying out the game plan. I think a huge thing has been the lack of mistakes. The first rule in football is not to beat yourself and the niners , led by alex have done a wonderful job in that area. Its the little things that you do well that make up the big things and little things like special teams are another reason why we got the second seed and have had the type of season we have had. the niners have done a great job of doing the little things well.

Some still question alex and the offense and whatever but you really need to look at the little things, the mistakes that are not made which have been made in years past by these same players. the players have had more mental toughness installed into them by this coaching staff and sometimes the things that are not done, like mistakes, errors, mental lapses, are just as important as the things that are done.I urge niner fans who are fretting about this and that to take a step back, look at where this team has been in the last ten years and what has been done with no off season and a brand new system. another reason why this team is set up for the playoffs is because they do things and think outside of the box, intangibles and little things are things that have been lacking in the last ten years,
Originally posted by Fitness49:
These playoffs will be a function of Alex..Period.

I think the passing game will hinge on the performance of the receivers, as much as the qb.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
eastie is very smart, they all feed off each other and that includes the line play. we have seen the results of crabtree and smith being on the same page, we saw the results of edwards not being on the same page with smith and i drool at the prospects of an entire off season of the same system for these players, no matter what happens in the playoffs, it will be great experience for this team and win or lose it will be another huge learning experience and step for this team
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Next9erDynasty:
2011 Regular Season:

I don't think anyone is questioning our balance within the offense, but I was under the impression that we're talking about the teams as wholes. In that respect, it seems more reasonable to think of us as being the analogue of the pass happy teams. After all, our balance on offense--like all aspects of this team--is driven by the defense's prowess.

Isn't that the very definition of balance? No one aspect of the team needs to carry the entire load.

The team averaged 23.8 points per game in 2011 (11th in the league) ... that's certainly not legendary, but it's a far cry from being completely reliant on the Defense.

I think that balance looks like reliance on defense since every other elite team is so remarkably unbalanced.
Share 49ersWebzone