LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 155 users in the forums

A Season In Review and What The Future Holds

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Sorry you guy's didn't make it. I watched the game and saw a totally different team then when ya'll played us. What gave you guy's the win against us is the reason you lost this game. 1-13 on 3rd downs??? Alex Smith was TOTALLY ineffective. He was really off. Special teams is an obvious one here. I know weather conditions played a part but those turnovers is what cost you the game.

Again my condolences, you guy's have a really good team and with a few pieces (receivers) you should be right back in the hunt next year.
Originally posted by CharityMike:
Sorry you guy's didn't make it. I watched the game and saw a totally different team then when ya'll played us. What gave you guy's the win against us is the reason you lost this game. 1-13 on 3rd downs??? Alex Smith was TOTALLY ineffective. He was really off. Special teams is an obvious one here. I know weather conditions played a part but those turnovers is what cost you the game.

Again my condolences, you guy's have a really good team and with a few pieces (receivers) you should be right back in the hunt next year.
i thought alex played well

he just couldnt do anything because he had no where to go with the ball im assuming ur a saints fan? really wish we had at least one of your WR for this game
Was a good team we just lost to, usually we're the ones who are +2 on the day not the other way around. There's always next year.
Originally posted by foreign49er:
Was a good team we just lost to, usually we're the ones who are +2 on the day not the other way around. There's always next year.

Ding, Ding, Ding, Ding. The niners lost the turnover battle. Three turn overs, 2 Kyle williams, 1 call for Bradshaw. Not crying in spilled milk, it is football. But the niners offense was never built to overcome deficienies on special teams and to score on command.

I will say Alex missed a few long balls. He has an tendency to overthrow on long throws. You get no interceptions that way but you also get very few circus catches.
Feels good to get respect!!
I'm not convinced Snyder's a weak link...I thought he played pretty well at RG and once in the starting lineup, Anthony Davis improved his play. I don't think that's just a coincidence. Even if he's not starting, Snyder's a key OL to re-sign, if for no other reason that his versatility. Harbaugh's already said he wants Morgan back...he obviously saw things in him you didn't. Agree, it's clear the receiving corps needs an upgrade...yesterday, Alex really only had Vernon and Gore as reliable targets. I think Harbaugh will grab one of the Stanford TE's, hopefully Fleener, and a receiver. Wouldn't surprise me to see them sign a FA, either...someone to do what they thought Edwards would. Coach will be at the Pro Bowl, a good opportunity to scout a potential FA or two. Among their FA's I'd like to see them re-sign:

- Snyder (see above)
- Morgan (Harbaugh likes him)
- Rogers (resurrected his career this season)
- Goldson (finally became the playmaker we all hoped for)
- Brooks (very solid OLB who can get after the QB)
- Grant (backed up Willis well)
- Costanzo (ST wizard)
- Spillman (see above)
Like your thought on the season and the team going forward.

I'm with you 100% on our wr's. But I think we may push for a big time FA cause they don't have the learning curve like a rookie. I also don't think Crab's is a Jim type of guy and would not be suprised if we try and trade him. Morgan, Ginn and williams are all solid #3 wr's so we get rid of at least one of these guys also. That means even if we get our #1 in FA we have to draft a #2 also. Gonna be hard to do but I have confidence in Jim and Trent to figure it out.

Our oline is a hard one for me to figure out. I knew they would struggle this year with a whole new scheme but thought they would be much better by now. Still too much pressure to quick and not enough push on a consistant basis on running plays. Center and RG a our weak links. Now does our coaching staff think that with Boone, Kilgore and Pearson having a whole season of learning will be enough to push for starting jobs? They all showed flashes in the preseason, so I can't answer that but I have a suspicion that they like those guys and think we can move players around to get the job done.

Fun to think about though! We are in a very nice position to make another step up next year.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
in one season he changed the culture around here from fighting tooth and nail for a winning record to now superbowl or bust, pretty remarkable.

DD nailed it. I love the simplicity and resonating profoundness of this statement.

THIS.
Originally posted by Montana:
You jumped in a pool with no water but..
You gained 500 lbs but..
Your cholesterol is 490 but..
Your dog just got ran over but..
You lost an eye while drunk and shish kebabing but..
You got in a car crash but..
Your parachute didn't open when you sky dived but...
Your girlfriend dumped you, won the lottery and moved to the Bahamas but..
You got bit by a shark but..
You just lost the first question on 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' but..
You accidentally spilled boiling water on your manhood but..

Dude wtf? I mean say something relevant. Slapass
I would like to make a few points out here just to get it off my chest:

1. "Fans" sending death threats to Kyle Williams.

a. I get that we lost. Yes, we lost the most important game of the year and the game that would ultimately send us to the show. But that doesn't mean that the entire loss was on Kyle Williams. We had so many chances to win that game, but we just couldn't execute. This is a team game; you win as a team or lose as a team. But it is just that, a GAME. These unclassy, moronic, bandwagon fans don't know the first thing about football. They just hop on as soon as we were winning and when we lose, they go berserk. Who made the fantastic crack block on Alex's 28 yard touchdown last game against the Saints? Who was the most reliable return man during the season when Ginn was unavailable? Kyle Williams is a good, YOUNG player that is still coming into his own in this league. For all the "fans" sending him death threats, go cheer for the team across the bay. The Faithful don't need you.

2. The weakest link on the team is the WR corp.

a. At the beginning of the season our receiving corps started with Braylon Edwards, Michael Crabtree, Ted Ginn Jr., and Kyle Williams. Pretty decent lineup, right? The game we played yesterday had Michael Crabtree as our 1, Kyle Williams as our 2, and Brett Swain as our 3. I'm not saying that we couldn't have won the game with those players (kudos to the coaching staff) because we could have. Again, fans blame Harbaugh and Roman for not calling the right plays. If you don't have decent receivers that can't get separation and still try to throw the ball, the outcome will look like the game yesterday. Then fans will say, you didn't run the ball enough on first down! Well, if you stack the box on first down, you're going to want to throw the football numbnuts! Can't wait to see what Baalke does in the draft and Free Agency.

3. Not enough can be said about our defense.

a. Our defense the entire year has been lights out. Literally. (See: Pierre Thomas) The front seven is unbelievably dominant. The safety play has gotten better throughout the year and our corners held it down for most of the year. The weakest point of our defense is the secondary and they really stepped it up at the end of the year. The old mantra of "defense wins championships" is still relevant in a league where rules are so slanted towards the offense that is almost becoming ridiculous. This defense is particularly young with the exception of Justin Smith (the Cowboy has plenty left in the tank) and is still learning to work together and I believe can become one of the greatest defenses of all time. We need to add depth on the DLine and secondary; again I can't wait to see what Baalke does in the draft and Free Agency.

4. This season was a great ride.

a. I've been a season ticket holder ever since I could afford them at the age of 18. I am now 22. 49er Faithful, what does that mean to you? For me, it means that you stick by your team through everything. I was a young 18 year old boy straight out of high school working part time jobs to pay for my own schooling and yet I still scrounged enough money to buy season tickets for my team. I sit in LR32 row 17. Those are expensive seats, for me at least. And every year, I renew them just to see my team play with just enough money to buy tickets. Yes, even through the losing seasons. This year was such an amazing surprise to all of us. NO ONE thought that we would get this far especially with no off season to speak of and a brand new coaching staff. This year has given me so much hope for the future of this franchise. With the young core of this team, I truly believe that we have the ability to be a top tier team and be in the playoffs for the next 6-10 years. Give Harbaugh and his staff your unwavering support and your unstopping compliments. With a full off season, a true Free Agency market and the upcoming Draft.. who knows where Jed York, Trent Baalke, and Jim Harbaugh will take this team.

Cheers to the all of you true Faithful. Thank you for a great season, and rocking the Stick like I've never seen. Keep the Faith strong, and we WILL be back for many years to come.

1. fans sending death threats to kyle williams

2. Biggest problem on our team, the WR"s

Death threats are headed in the right direction
Alex missed some chances for sure - but I'll defend the guy here & say if they had a few healthy recievers besides Vernon Davis he would have looked better out there.
  • boast
  • Hella Fame
Alex did what he could with a slow track and s**tty WRs.

Kyle Williams is the Giants MVP.
Thanks Mike, we will be back.

Speaking of which, don't be a stranger.
Originally posted by CharityMike:

There were two throwaways that landed in the vicinity of Crabtree's feet. I keep wondering why Alex didn't throw them a little higher to at least give Crabs a chance to catch them?
Share 49ersWebzone