There are 85 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Cap room CAN be carried over to 2012

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Closing-the-books-on-2011.html

Basically teams have until saturday(31st) at 4PM EST to submit extensions to use current 2011 cap space.

I dont know if you guys remember, but we used a "incentive" in Donald Strickland's contract in I think 08 or 09, worth like 7M which carried over to the next season. It was basically a phony incentive that would never be achieved.

So, that extra 11M left right now will carry over to 2012. So add in the 35M right now(around there) for a 120M cap, plus 11M, we have 46M to use.

So, if Rogers isnt extended by tomorrow, we CAN'T use 2011 cap room, so he would have to be used for 2012 cap dollars.
we need all of the caps to spend on our players.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
we need all of the caps to spend on our players.

exactly, now we can probably keep most of our own, and then get a FA or 2. Before it I couldnt see keeping our own and adding a FA. While I dont see a big splash, we should make one small wise, maybe big if we lose a guy like Brooks, Goldson or Ginn. I pray Rogers is extended before march 1st, even though it will use of 2012 cap room.
YES! We can overspend to make sure Goldson stays here!

Afrikan AB83Rules
Originally posted by Afrikan:
YES! We can overspend to make sure Goldson stays here!

Afrikan AB83Rules

I've warmed up to Goldson, I would do like a 5yr deal, with some good incentives, pro bowl, picks, etc.... Keep him with Whitner at Safeties and we are set. Then retain Rogers on a 5yr deal(structured where we can get out of it if need be, ala Clements deal).

Have Rogers and Goldson signed thru 2016, then Whitner thru 2013. Draft a CB and S, got youth and vet leadership in the secondary.

And with this room, we can keep Brooks. If brooks gets a 4yr deal, he would be signed thru 2015. So if those 3 are retained, here is our signed thru from 2015-2017

2015:
Aldon Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Alex Boone
Vernon Davis
Ray McDonald

2016:
Patrick Willis
Carlos Rogers
Dashon Goldson

2017:
Joe Staley

Then we look into extending Bowman, others we should look at is Andy lee(2012 signed thru).
Glad to hear that AB83. I am so impressed with Whitner this year. I think we got ourselves a bargain. I know it doesn't seem like he stands out or anything, but its the little things I see that I like from the guy.
  • islam
  • Veteran
Glad to hear that AB83. I am so impressed with Whitner this year. I think we got ourselves a bargain. I know it doesn't seem like he stands out or anything, but its the little things I see that I like from the guy.

Whitner has impressed me but he is not that good in coverage.....thats the truth!
Why is AB83 not working in the FO yet? Hell, even as an intern or something, you always know what you're talking about and you know your numbers. Somebody get this guy a job securing our players for extended deals while the rest of the team worries about gameday. Good work, man, I always enjoying reading your stuff. It's greatly appreciated!
So we have to sign guys by tomorrow? Anyone think that will actually happen?
Originally posted by SportsFan:

if your a pending FA, u gonna re-sign right now, or wait till u hit the market? even if u wanna return to the niners, its smart to hit the market to play teams off of each other, almost every nfl player tests the market, very few re-sign before getting a chance to

I doubt it but I'm sure Trent knows this so he's polly pushing for some deals to get done
Originally posted by crabman82:

if your a pending FA, u gonna re-sign right now, or wait till u hit the market? even if u wanna return to the niners, its smart to hit the market to play teams off of each other, almost every nfl player tests the market, very few re-sign before getting a chance to

Exactly. So will this cap carry over come into play for us? I doubt it.
Originally posted by islam:

Whitner has impressed me but he is not that good in coverage.....thats the truth!

I just remember 2 plays this year where he messed up, if you want to call that. That 3rd down play against the Ravens, where he missed a key tackle. And was it the same game when the TE boxed him out for a TD. Besides that, imo, he has done far more good than bad. Years ago, Michael Lewis was the weak link on the defense, and opposing teams looked for him for key 3rd down conversions. I think one of the reasons our defense is playing so well this year is because Whitner is taking care of business on his end.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Exactly. So will this cap carry over come into play for us? I doubt it.

maybe with guys like boone, who was recently extended, but guys like goldson, rogers theres zero chance they sign before the league year ends
Don't know how you do it... but thank you