LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 252 users in the forums

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Are we too conservative in the RED ZONE?

Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by susweel:
Im not sure why we are so conservative in the redzone, especially considering we have an "elite" QB it is quite baffling.

NO
ONE
HAS
SAID
THAT.

I cant remember if it was oldman, dj, dtg or whoever, but I have read multiple times here that they would not want any other QB in the league other than Brady, Rodgers or Brees. Although that is not outright saying Alex is elite, the insinuation is that Alex is better than everyone who is a second tier QB...hence making him elite.

Thanks for helping to prove my point.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Im not sure why we are so conservative in the redzone, especially considering we have an "elite" QB it is quite baffling.

its not about the QB
Dont think for one second that if we had any of the mid tier QBs in this league they couldnt accomplish what alex has done in JH's system. His system protects alex from making stupid mistakes just like it would with the other QBs in the league.
If Alex would hit on 30% of his deep balls he'd be sitting at 25 to 28 tds and 4000 yards passing. He's terrible at it, doesnt even give Crabby a chance to make a play. Well he did the other day but anytime before that he hadn't. also if Veron would catch 50% of the balls he should of that number would go even higher, VD should be at 10-11 tds this season.
[ Edited by OtisDriftwood on Dec 28, 2011 at 2:22 PM ]
I call it Redzone Retardation. Our QB and WR's all have it.
it would be hard to resist the temptation with such a great defense and special teams. I do agree that we need to open it up in the playoffs, and my hope is that JH will reconize this when we get there. All in all 12-3 and playoff talk is allot more fun then where we were last year at this time. Forza Niners!
YES
WE
TAKE
PLENTY
OF
SHOTS
IN
THE
WEB ZONE
Originally posted by OtisDriftwood:
Dont think for one second that if we had any of the mid tier QBs in this league they couldnt accomplish what alex has done in JH's system. His system protects alex from making stupid mistakes just like it would with the other QBs in the league.

ya? how come colin runs into runningbacks?
Originally posted by fly15:

its not about the QB

No,it's about those webzoners who recycle their words over and over

Yes, way too conservative. Really though, Vernon is our only red zone threat so that compounds the problem. Crabs is good between the 20's but bogs down in the red zone. Other than that I think the injury's at Wr (Josh Morgan specifically) have played a part, as has the play calling to a certian extent anyway.
[ Edited by GorefullBore on Dec 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM ]

Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
ya? how come colin runs into runningbacks?

cause he doesnt practice with the first team.
After watching the steelers game i noticed that Alex Smith does not like throwing over the middle. The only throw over the middle was deep and that was an over throw. I think this is due to the re-conditioning that Alex has gone through that tells him to not do anything risky. it works well when we can run decoy routes deep to clear out dbs and Lbs then have an underneath route that is generally wide open, until we get in the red zone and the field becomes condensed, and the DBs that were 15yds off the ball are now on the line, taking away any quick outside dump off throws that Alex is comfortable with. Alex tends to have his decisions determined before the snap and does not seem patient enough to wait for deeper routes to develop. To his defense he doesnt really have much time due to our OL being easily confused by stunts and complex blitzes. Secondly, Alex cant throw deep. Hes gotta learn how to put more arch on his deep throws and stop leading WRs out of bounds (afraid of the middle).

As far as the run is concerned, Frank Gore, as good as he is, needs to stop trying to find the cutback lane on every run. He often stutters at the LOS looking to cut back which causes him to lose all momentum and he gets caught in the backfield. Yes it works sometimes and when it does he gets big yards but when you are 3rd and short, you should just power through and get your yards. Chances are that hes gonna run through safetys and cbs trying to arm tackle, instead of the OLBs and DEs that hes cutting back into.

My .02
We need to start throwing to VD and crabs in the red zone it seems like they just diss appear when we get down there. I think. Fans isn't even in most the plays in the red zone??
need to run some wr pick plays in the redzone.
Originally posted by 16to87:
YES
WE
TAKE
PLENTY
OF
SHOTS
IN
THE
WEB ZONE

Share 49ersWebzone