There are 225 users in the forums

Braylon Edwards released

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I want to see the 49ers sign Owens just to see the Webzone Explode !

• THEB
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AZ9er:
Originally posted by 12b6demurrer:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Can someone summarize just what was the rational for releasing Braylon. He seemed to be a good guy put in the extra work with Alex. So what is the rational behind the move?

No one knows for sure, but odds are that the lack of performance (regardless of the reason) and Walker's injury makes it important to bring someone who can help with the pass catching game. Since Edwards wasn't contributing, they need the roster spot for someone who can...likely Konrad. All conjecture though until Harbaugh makes a move.

The way I see it: frees up a roster spot for us immediately. An extra week of preparation/practice is priceless in this league. Secondly, he was hurt and not fully healthy, but not hurt enough to go on IR. Management probably wanted to give him a chance of signing with another team - maybe someone would take a flyer on him if they had injuries at the WR position.

Thanks guys this makes the most sense, I just wonder if and when Harbaugh will comment on this.

harbaugh doesnt comment on anything unless the league forces the information (like mandatory injury reports, etc...)
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
I want to see the 49ers sign Owens just to see the Webzone Explode !

Doing a good job so far !
  • titan
  • Veteran
Lets sign TO and Moss! They should be good for a couple big plays just to spread the defense and stretch the field to get our running game going.
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Originally posted by BuZzB28:
i am so suprising that shock this.. Why does Braylon Edwards got an injured again over again? Maybe, he don't want plays for us because he want the moneys that mean he can't playing? that is fine.. ask him for released that cut bonus moneys then toobad for him.. I think, good move because let 49ers players learn the less that mean.. not play games or fool for us! Go 49ers Go, Baby!

You've been posting here for years now. Your English haven't improved one damn bit. But some how I'm up to understanding half of what you're saying. As opposed to before where every word is migraine inducing.

I think BuzzB is Sydney Mayhew.

Walk, talk, speak and write perfect English except when he gets to the Zone.

Lol.. .. I like you man..

I'd like you more if I know what the hell you are talking about for more than half of the time. All kidding aside, we are all talking about football and the Niners so it's easy to understand.

Lol.. You're cool man. Yeah hell what i was talking about football cuz i know how wins game. it's easy for me. Thank you for trust me bro.... I feel good the 49ers seem a good games and ready strongest for plays about serious! Whoooo!
  • dj43
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Shaj:
We missed out on a compensatory pick by releasing him instead of waiting for his contract to expire. Baalke can do a lot with late round picks.

Compensatory picks are based off a complex format that accounts for contract size, playing time and production.

Edwards might be out of football in 2012.

The extra productive body on Sunday is worth the risk.

Edwards cleared waivers. Not one other team put in a claim for him. So while that doesn't mean a whole lot with only one game to go (for most of the league), it does show what the best teams in the league think of him.

He will likely have a chance to make a team in TC next season but it won't come with a big pay check.
  • Lifer
  • Veteran
I think you need to look at his overall impact on the field. Edwards wasn't just unproductive; he was a liability. Two costly penalties in the last game, plus the interception in Baltimore that was, I believe, his fault. Alex Smith had a QB rating of 1.7 when targeting #17. Weigh that against 15 receptions for 181 yards and I think it was clear to the coaching staff that they'd be better off without him. You can't have guys on the field that are hurting the team. Especially when you play the style of football we're playing.

Personally, I wish him well. Edwards has talent and he still has the potential to be a good WR in the NFL, but at this point in time, for whatever reason, he was doing more harm than good.
Don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ninerzz:

Its...Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.
  • mike
  • Veteran
Originally posted by obx49:

His vagina?

• obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mike:
Originally posted by obx49:

His vagina?
Well he is a p***y.
Originally posted by mjboot:
Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by bleedTHEredngold:
dumb move.... if he gets picked up by any playoff team he'll be able to let them in on all plays and audibles.. should have waited

This!

For real! The teams in the NFC tournament will be lining up for Braylon Edwards' help so they can stop our offense. I expect a bidding situation to develop.

If you guys actually expect a team to dump a player for an injured guy to gain "insight" the wow......

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough.

No they wouldn't sign him just for that . They can just pay him under the table for some insider information. This way the Niners will never know and be unprepared.

Dont worry...it was obvious out on the field, Braylon didnt know what was going on here.
Originally posted by TheCatch:
Originally posted by mjboot:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Originally posted by sdaddy101269:
Originally posted by bleedTHEredngold:
dumb move.... if he gets picked up by any playoff team he'll be able to let them in on all plays and audibles.. should have waited

This!

For real! The teams in the NFC tournament will be lining up for Braylon Edwards' help so they can stop our offense. I expect a bidding situation to develop.

If you guys actually expect a team to dump a player for an injured guy to gain "insight" the wow......

I guess I wasn't sarcastic enough.

No they wouldn't sign him just for that . They can just pay him under the table for some insider information. This way the Niners will never know and be unprepared.

Dont worry...it was obvious out on the field, Braylon didnt know what was going on here.

True that.
  • dj43
Somewhat on a tangent, but, the fact Harbaugh kept Edwards around as long as he did indicates Harbaugh fully recognizes the team's need for a guy with the size and skill set that Edwards has when healthy and motivated. This should give us a strong hint as to what the FO will be looking for at the top of the draft next spring. Specifically, a big, strong guy who can shield off a defender and go up and get the ball above a smaller DB.

We have seen what AJ Green has provided Andy Dalton in Cincy and how a healthy Julio Jones has taken the heat off Roddy White in Atlanta....and we can be certain Harbaugh/Baalke has seen that as well. I will be rather surprised if the 49ers do not make a move to grab one of the top WRs in the draft...perhaps even moving up a ways in the first round.

Sorry for the Draft Room comment but the choice to even bring in such a troubled player this past summer gives significant insight into Harbaugh's thinking about what this team needs to get the passing game going.
Originally posted by dj43:
Somewhat on a tangent, but, the fact Harbaugh kept Edwards around as long as he did indicates Harbaugh fully recognizes the team's need for a guy with the size and skill set that Edwards has when healthy and motivated. This should give us a strong hint as to what the FO will be looking for at the top of the draft next spring. Specifically, a big, strong guy who can shield off a defender and go up and get the ball above a smaller DB.

We have seen what AJ Green has provided Andy Dalton in Cincy and how a healthy Julio Jones has taken the heat off Roddy White in Atlanta....and we can be certain Harbaugh/Baalke has seen that as well. I will be rather surprised if the 49ers do not make a move to grab one of the top WRs in the draft...perhaps even moving up a ways in the first round.

Sorry for the Draft Room comment but the choice to even bring in such a troubled player this past summer gives significant insight into Harbaugh's thinking about what this team needs to get the passing game going.

The RZ woes have been apparent most of the year. If we can find "that" guy, it should push the O to take another giant step next year.
Share 49ersWebzone