There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Question about trying to always win the game....

Originally posted by andes14:
Not true. The average team attempts about 30 field goals per year. That would mean for it to have a 1% chance of happening, that it happens once every 3+ years which seems pretty fair to me. Don't forget we did it in BACK to BACK weeks in '09. Kicks being blocked and returned for 6 is not exactly tantamount to catching lightning in a bottle.

I know Akers has had at least a couple kicks blocked this year. Now, fortunately none were returned for touchdowns, but when a kick IS blocked, there is always a very real chance of that. A DB picks it up and the only people near him would be the holder and the kicker, neither of which are exactly gonna be very likely to make a tackle.


A lot of ifs, rarely does a db that blocks it also picks it and returns it, usually there are others on alert, because you will hear it blocked or the holder will yell out a word that lets the others know the kick was blocked. Plus the ball has to bounce the right way. Another thing very rarely is it a clean block where the ball goes bacwards past the kicker. If you are so scared, then why kick a field goal at all?

It seems to me you don't want to know the answer, but an afirmation of your beliefs and what others to approve of your beliefs.
Originally posted by andes14:
Not true. The average team attempts about 30 field goals per year. That would mean for it to have a 1% chance of happening, that it happens once every 3+ years which seems pretty fair to me. Don't forget we did it in BACK to BACK weeks in '09. Kicks being blocked and returned for 6 is not exactly tantamount to catching lightning in a bottle.

I know Akers has had at least a couple kicks blocked this year. Now, fortunately none were returned for touchdowns, but when a kick IS blocked, there is always a very real chance of that. A DB picks it up and the only people near him would be the holder and the kicker, neither of which are exactly gonna be very likely to make a tackle.


A lot of ifs, rarely does a db that blocks it also picks it and returns it, usually there are others on alert, because you will hear it blocked or the holder will yell out a word that lets the others know the kick was blocked. Plus the ball has to bounce the right way. Another thing very rarely is it a clean block where the ball goes bacwards past the kicker. If you are so scared, then why kick a field goal at all?

It seems to me you don't want to know the answer, but an afirmation of your beliefs and what others to approve of your beliefs.
Originally posted by AldonGood99:
I can't believe how bent some people got by a HYPOTHETICAL scenario that is a interesting thing to think about.

What an odd situation that would be. I think if it were under 2:00 in OT and STL had no TO's and the 9ers are anywhere inside their own 30, then the kneel down idea seems to be the right play to me. Yeah it's not thrilling, but to think SF's O and ST would feel dissed is a stretch. These are smart guys who i think would understand the context of that moment. Strange things happen at the end of football games and I'd rather see the strange thing be Alex Smith kneel the ball to end overtime then to have a turnover or have a GW FG blocked. Winning is nice and we did it enough during the ENTIRE SEASON that if a tie would clinch the #2 seed, then you be smart, not greedy. If that did somehow happen, we'd move on and prepare to host a playoff game at the stick divisional weekend! Who by then would be thinking about the week 17 game against the Rams? Happy New Year.



I cant believe how many people think playing to win the game>playing to win the Super Bowl.
Originally posted by WildBill:
A lot of ifs, rarely does a db that blocks it also picks it and returns it, usually there are others on alert, because you will hear it blocked or the holder will yell out a word that lets the others know the kick was blocked. Plus the ball has to bounce the right way. Another thing very rarely is it a clean block where the ball goes bacwards past the kicker. If you are so scared, then why kick a field goal at all?

It seems to me you don't want to know the answer, but an afirmation of your beliefs and what others to approve of your beliefs.

Where did I say the db had to block it? I believe in both of our blocked kicks returned for TD's in '09, it was a fattie that blocked it and a corner who scooped and scored.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
By the numbers the odds (based on stats from this year) are 2% that it will be blocked, but as of now I don't know of any touchdowns scored off of blocked field goals this season, which would put that at a (statistically) 0% chance of a score based on statistics. Now basing it off of the explosiveness of our special teams i.e. blocked punt last weekend deep in our own territory which we recovered, Im pretty sure we would recover and tie even if it was blocked. Hypothetically what do you think the odds are someone with answer your question with an answer your agree with?

So if I flipped a coin and it came up heads 3 times in a row, does that mean that statistically there is a 0% chance that the 4th flip comes up tails since it hasn't happened yet?
The funny thing is, I really, REALLY believe that all the people disagreeing with me are only doing so because they're being stubborn in their beliefs that you ALWAYS gotta do whatever it takes to win the game, or because they practice a religion in which Herm Edwards is their deity. The bottom line is if you ACTUALLY sit back and really envision the scenario in which a tie is just as good as a win but a loss is devastating, and you got the ball on your own 20, 2 mins left in OT, and you see Alex Smith and the offense trotting onto the field, I REALLY believe that NO ONE would be saying to themselves "let's go out there and sling the hell outta the ball." No one who is truly invested in the best interest of the Niners would say that. NO chance.
No, I would be saying to my self lets get out there and control the clock, and get into field goal range, its not stubborness its an opinion. Stubborness is when people decide that other people are wrong because they have a different opinion on a metaphorical situation.
Originally posted by LoneWolf:
No, I would be saying to my self lets get out there and control the clock, and get into field goal range, its not stubborness its an opinion. Stubborness is when people decide that other people are wrong because they have a different opinion on a metaphorical situation.

The only way you get into field goal range from your own 20 with 2 mins left is by going out there and slinging the ball not by playing ball control...I'm confused by what you're trying to say...
Originally posted by andes14:
So if I flipped a coin and it came up heads 3 times in a row, does that mean that statistically there is a 0% chance that the 4th flip comes up tails since it hasn't happened yet?

You have numbers to compare in the situation of flipping a coin, 1 out of 2, or 50% off its will be heads.
Just like with the field goals blocks, 962 Attempted Field Goals, 27 Blocked Field Goals = 2%
There are no numbers on blocks returned for points, but I can't find any td's returned from blocked field goals so that would be 0 out of 962 attempts
Originally posted by andes14:
The only way you get into field goal range from your own 20 with 2 mins left is by going out there and slinging the ball not by playing ball control...I'm confused by what you're trying to say...

If my epilepsy didn't disrupt my memory I could remember the game, but there has been more then a couple games this season where we have driven the whole field in less then 2 minutes, and im sure you know the style of football we play.
Another hypothetical question: let's say Brees got hurt and we beat the Saints, then Rodgers got hurt and we beat the Packers, and then Brady got hurt and we beat the Pats to win it all - would you be happy?