There are 111 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Question about trying to always win the game....

wow talk about over analysis
Originally posted by Janitor:
You have the best kicker in the entire NFL....

That doesn't mean he can't have his kick blocked or some fluky play could happen on the snap or the hold or something that they don't wind up with them scoring a TD. It's not crazy rare for that to happen. I believe we did it in back to back games in '08 or '09. The bottom line, IMO, is that if a tie secures the exact same seed as a win, it's downright foolish to risk (no matter how small the risk) losing the game in order to win when the tie is in the bag.
[ Edited by andes14 on Dec 28, 2011 at 10:45 AM ]
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
What is up with these incredibly retarded threads lately?

*in Herm Edwards voice* " HELLO! You play to win the game"

The point of this thread is to challenge the legitimacy of if that theory should ALWAYS apply.
Always win, but if we still get the bye and it costs the Rams the first pick that would be funny to take a knee.
You play to win the game thats why they play the game.
Originally posted by saj4423:
Always win, but if we still get the bye and it costs the Rams the first pick that would be funny to take a knee.

Exactly. I mean, I guess I can understand never losing on purpose (even if we have our seed clinched and losing helps us from either not facing Andrew Luck twice a year for the next 15 years or the massive compensation they'd get in trading the pick), but to risk losing the game and the 2 seed when the tie clinches it would be dumb.
Why even play the game at all then? If the saints and colts lose Sunday ten lets just call the rams owner and see if they will settle for a tie. I mean, whats the point of risking the entire game when we can just make a phone call? Let's throw gamesmanship out the window. Let's send a message to our offense and defense and special teams that we don't want to risk anything. That way the rams can refund all those tickets to all those people who came to see a competitive game and say "sorry, it's not worth our time". And the Niners can call the tv execs and say "meh, it's better this way".

I'm sure guys like harbaugh and willis and gore and j smith will be completely on board with all of this. And hey we can let our pro bowl kicker, pro bowl long snapper and pro bowl punter/holder that we can't trust them to win the game. Woot let's do this everytime every game. Just hit simulate on madden
wtf, seriously??!!
Good idea... why not just run around in a circle for 60 minutes and then curl up into the fetal position at the end of the game?

Tie!
Playoffs!!!

[ Edited by FILTHpigskin on Dec 28, 2011 at 12:29 PM ]
Why even play the game at all then? If the saints and colts lose Sunday ten lets just call the rams owner and see if they will settle for a tie. I mean, whats the point of risking the entire game when we can just make a phone call? Let's throw gamesmanship out the window. Let's send a message to our offense and defense and special teams that we don't want to risk anything. That way the rams can refund all those tickets to all those people who came to see a competitive game and say "sorry, it's not worth our time". And the Niners can call the tv execs and say "meh, it's better this way".

I'm sure guys like harbaugh and willis and gore and j smith will be completely on board with all of this. And hey we can let our pro bowl kicker, pro bowl long snapper and pro bowl punter/holder that we can't trust them to win the game. Woot let's do this everytime every game. Just hit simulate on madden

Ok let me paint you a different picture. Forget the field goal scenario or whatever. Let's say there are 2 mins left in OT and we have the ball on our own 20. Win or tie=2 seed. Loss=3 seed. You would actually want us to sling the ball over the field to try and move into field goal range? In that scenario the odds of losing the game are VERY legitimate as STL would be able to ignore the run and only play pass and the odds of an interception and loss are VERY real. You'd really rather do that to try and win the game? The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl. That's bigger than a regular season game. Sometimes you throw smaller goals out the window. Like during a game that you're trying to win, you obviously want to do everything in your power to score points and everything in your power to prevent the other team from scoring points. But sometimes it's best to be unorthodox like when the Pats conceded a safety to help win that game vs. Denver in '03 or '04. Concede a smaller goal (2 points) to increase chances at accomplishing a bigger goal (the W). Same thing here. Conceding the win and settling for the tie increases our chance of making a Super Bowl run.

If I know a tie accomplishes the same things as a win but a loss is devastating, I'm kneeling on the ball at the end of OT, no questions asked.
Originally posted by andes14:

Ok let me paint you a different picture. Forget the field goal scenario or whatever. Let's say there are 2 mins left in OT and we have the ball on our own 20. Win or tie=2 seed. Loss=3 seed. You would actually want us to sling the ball over the field to try and move into field goal range? In that scenario the odds of losing the game are VERY legitimate as STL would be able to ignore the run and only play pass and the odds of an interception and loss are VERY real. You'd really rather do that to try and win the game? The ultimate goal is to win the Super Bowl. That's bigger than a regular season game. Sometimes you throw smaller goals out the window. Like during a game that you're trying to win, you obviously want to do everything in your power to score points and everything in your power to prevent the other team from scoring points. But sometimes it's best to be unorthodox like when the Pats conceded a safety to help win that game vs. Denver in '03 or '04. Concede a smaller goal (2 points) to increase chances at accomplishing a bigger goal (the W). Same thing here. Conceding the win and settling for the tie increases our chance of making a Super Bowl run.

If I know a tie accomplishes the same things as a win but a loss is devastating, I'm kneeling on the ball at the end of OT, no questions asked.

In this scenario, a draw would be the perfect call... THEN curl up into the fetal position as time expires.

webzone...
Originally posted by andes14:
Hypothetically, let's say we were playing the game vs. the Rams needing only to win or TIE to clinch the #2 seed (I guess that would mean N.O. tied vs. Carolina?)...and let's say we were in overtime on the Rams' 20 with 1 second left. Do we kick the field goal to win the game, or do we take a knee knowing a tie is just as good as the win and knowing that if STL miraculously blocked the kick and returned it for a TD, we'd lose the bye...in other words, when you know a tie is just as good as a win, do you risk losing the game (granted it's a very low chance, but still) in order to win the game (very good chance), or do you do the logical thing and settle for the tie?

i love the way you think andes. we need more deep thinkers here at the zone. i wouldn't have problem with either choice really. if we go for the tie, smart choice by coach. if we kick we are installing even more confidence in our special teams leading into the playoffs. letting them know we trust them no matter what.
There is no possible outcome or scenario to justify taking just a tie. I don't care if we win and st Louis gets 10 Andrew licks, 10 aldon smiths and 10 Justin blackmons. Can't play today's game scared of what next year might bring. If you think like that then every team in the nfl can a game to lose ir whatever EVERY year.We play 16 games for a reason. If NO loses and we get to pull some starters to rest I'm ok with that, but I still want to be competitive. But if any of your crazy scenarios pop up, i expect the 49ers to play like winners. I'm expecting lamb chops on Sunday. Mama don't disappoint
I kick the field goal... its what you would do under normal circumstances. Its like the teams that pooch kick toward the end of a half or game... WHY?! The percentages are in your favor... there is no reason to change how you play because of something that has less than a 2% chance of happening.