There are 219 users in the forums

Would You Trade CK

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would You Trade CK

Originally posted by Eeks:
Harbaugh targeted CK. According to Peter King of SI, who was in the war room, Harbaugh had CK as his #1 QB in the draft. I think that i will trust in Jim's skills of evaluating QBs. Dont forget he developed Josh Johnson (49er next year), Andrew Luck and recruited heisman winner RG3 who only went to Baylor cause he was scared to sit behind Luck at Stanford.

and he recently called alex the qb of the future of the niners and said wants to sign him toa long term contract

so what makes you think ck will start over him enxt year

and btw we tried tog et dalton before ck7
  • dj43
With no more playing time than he has had, no one has any idea whether or not he is even worth the picks invested in him.

No one is going to trade for him, and the 49ers would be silly to trade him. He was certainly a reach and not the 49ers first choice but until we know more about what he can do, it would not be wise to trade him.
  • Eeks
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Harbaugh targeted CK. According to Peter King of SI, who was in the war room, Harbaugh had CK as his #1 QB in the draft. I think that i will trust in Jim's skills of evaluating QBs. Dont forget he developed Josh Johnson (49er next year), Andrew Luck and recruited heisman winner RG3 who only went to Baylor cause he was scared to sit behind Luck at Stanford.

and he recently called alex the qb of the future of the niners and said wants to sign him toa long term contract

What do u expect him to say? "uhh yeah we are 12-3 but our QB is not gonna be back" of course he gonna say that. And i dont believe they were going up for Dalton, they we going up even higher for CK that is the only fact i have heard from Peter King, where did u hear they wanted Dalton?
How much u wanna bet Josh Johnson shows up in niner gear next year? He aint going nowhere that he dont think he will start at.

Either way Harbaugh took Smith from a D- QB up to a C+, if he can improve to a B next year THEN i will be happy, but as of right now, Smith is not good enough
Originally posted by dj43:
With no more playing time than he has had, no one has any idea whether or not he is even worth the picks invested in him.

No one is going to trade for him, and the 49ers would be silly to trade him. He was certainly a reach and not the 49ers first choice but until we know more about what he can do, it would not be wise to trade him.

I agree with this. Even if Alex gets signed to a 2 or 3 year contract I guarantee that at some time over that period Colin will start because of injury. Harbaugh probably has a pretty good idea what he's got at this point since he sees him every day in practice. My guess is they hold on to him. He has no real trade value right now anyway.

What do u expect him to say? "uhh yeah we are 12-3 but our QB is not gonna be back" of course he gonna say that. And i dont believe they were going up for Dalton, they we going up even higher for CK that is the only fact i have heard from Peter King, where did u hear they wanted Dalton?
How much u wanna bet Josh Johnson shows up in niner gear next year? He aint going nowhere that he dont think he will start at.

Either way Harbaugh took Smith from a D- QB up to a C+, if he can improve to a B next year THEN i will be happy, but as of right now, Smith is not good enough

josh f**king johnson????????
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
Harbaugh targeted CK. According to Peter King of SI, who was in the warthi room, Harbaugh had CK as his #1 QB in the draft. I think that i will trust in Jim's skills of evaluating QBs. Dont forget he developed Josh Johnson (49er next year), Andrew Luck and recruited heisman winner RG3 who only went to Baylor cause he was scared to sit behind Luck at Stanford.

josh f**king johnson????????
this have you seen him play?

you think he will start over smith? seriously?

but then again you did say ck has better accuracy than alex
Originally posted by English:
This just isnt going to happen. Unless we offered him round the league in which case they would all know he was a flop. 2nd round draft pick, played like 30 seconds in the NFL so far. Not the brightest thread.

Smith still needs a backup. Answer is no.
Originally posted by kodiak9er:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Yes. He bangs into the RB for handoffs, he has zero pocket presense, no accuracy and doesn't read the field well. He mostly takes off and runs. Looks like a tall RB to me. The only guy I really question in this draft. A completely wasted pick. I don't think you can get much for him so he will stay with us. But I don't think he will amount to much with us. Alex will be the starter after 12 - 3 and likely 13 - 3 after the last game and the #2 seed and a bye in the playoffs. No reason not to stick with that.

+1, im from reno, im a huge nevada fan, and loved what he did for this team here on that awesome 13-1 run last year.....however, i have never been so angry at a draft pick in my life. traded up to get him are you kidding me. everything you said was exactly what i saw from him coming in. people talk about how you have to have accuracy to play well in the WCO. well ck is not an accurate passer. furthermore, i have to here about how awesome it is that he got drafted by the niners and is going to be a great QB in the future from everyone that lives here. straight up bs and getting on my nerves from the less educated football fan.

Case in point, during the preseason my grandma posted on facebook: "watching colin kaepernick play for the niners is more exciting than watching joe montana!" absolute blasphemy. i told her she was going to hell and banned her. we talked for the first time on christmas.......any one who believes that he will turn into a "decent" falls into the same category

Agree.
Y trade the future???

CK is the answer he just had to groom into it first while riding some pine. I think in 3 years when he is starting everything that we worry about will b forgotten and hell b a top 10 qb n the league like Rodgers did. I have faith n Jim and Jim loved CK n college and hoped on the chance to have him and teach him. Just wait

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by Kolohe:

wtf ban because he considers trading a 2nd round pick?

It's stupid to even ask at this point

Same could've been said when we traded Taylor Mays.

Not even the same scenario

similar

How so? Please explain.

Taylor mays was an obvious bust, other than JH and staff, no one knows how the 2 youngsters are doing.
Originally posted by stepnez:
With Harbaugh saying Alex is the long term answer in a recent press conference if Alex is resigned would it make sense to package Colin for a wide receiver

With what JH has said about Chilo and Edwards who was abruptly cut, two things I have learned about the man, he doesn't throw people under the bus and burn them, and is always a positive rah rah guy. Who knows what happens, Alex's agent may foolishly play hardball and ask to much and if Alex follows his agent's lead, then JH will be courteous and say I understand its a business, but we gotta work with the players that are here and signed. If one of the two youngsters proves to be as good and JH believes in them, Alex would have just slit his throat.

This is a two edged sword, the packers went away from Farve and banked on Rodgers, the Patriots went away from Bledsoe and went with Brady. So even if Alex is signed, doesn't mean he keeps his job if JH sees Kaep or even Tolzien surpass him in camp. Or as someone said if Alex gets injured and Kaep takes advantage of his chances. What happens if Kaep ends being better than Alex in the future, then everyone will be pissed. Plus as this NFL season has shown, if you don't have someone capable in the wings, your team falters, be it QB or RB etc. It amazes me how people want to have a knee jerk reaction and just trade for picks without looking looking at the whole picture.
Next pre-season, all being well, we will have the chance to see if he has the makings of an NFL qb.
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by stepnez:
With Harbaugh saying Alex is the long term answer in a recent press conference if Alex is resigned would it make sense to package Colin for a wide receiver

With what JH has said about Chilo and Edwards who was abruptly cut, two things I have learned about the man, he doesn't throw people under the bus and burn them, and is always a positive rah rah guy. Who knows what happens, Alex's agent may foolishly play hardball and ask to much and if Alex follows his agent's lead, then JH will be courteous and say I understand its a business, but we gotta work with the players that are here and signed. If one of the two youngsters proves to be as good and JH believes in them, Alex would have just slit his throat.

This is a two edged sword, the packers went away from Farve and banked on Rodgers, the Patriots went away from Bledsoe and went with Brady. So even if Alex is signed, doesn't mean he keeps his job if JH sees Kaep or even Tolzien surpass him in camp. Or as someone said if Alex gets injured and Kaep takes advantage of his chances. What happens if Kaep ends being better than Alex in the future, then everyone will be pissed. Plus as this NFL season has shown, if you don't have someone capable in the wings, your team falters, be it QB or RB etc. It amazes me how people want to have a knee jerk reaction and just trade for picks without looking looking at the whole picture.

I like the Patriots Bledsoe/Brady comparison.

If the Patriots had stayed with Bledsoe and never gave Brady an opportunity, they never would have sniffed a Super Bowl trophy.
The Patriots had NO reason to believe that Tom Brady would be elite, NONE WHATSOEVER. Not only this, but Bledsoe had already taken that team to the Super Bowl, so they would have been insane to even debate the idea of benching Bledsoe for a no-name 6th round draft pick.
Fortunately for them, Bledsoe got hurt, and Brady had his opportunity.

I don't wish injury to Smith, but the point is, if CK was truly JH's number one rated quarterback in the entire draft, "stupidity" wouldn't even begin to describe the thought of trading him. "Insanity" would be a more accurate description.
[ Edited by BrianGO on Dec 31, 2011 at 6:34 AM ]
no value, plus we don't know what our future is at QB. i like alex but he in no brees, manning ect. we need a quality backup.
Share 49ersWebzone