LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 406 users in the forums

Bowman

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by 9ermex:
Originally posted by andes14:
I don't understand what's so funny...Asante Samuel was a great player for the Pats and they let him go to the Eagles, but I guess the Pats are a poorly run team.

they do have the worst passing D. in the league...

lol, nice.
He's in the second year of a 4 year contract. Let's let him finish out this year and half of next and then extend him. I dont see him breaking the bank. He started out really strong, but has since slowed down. He definitly seems more human without Willis next to him. With that said, he and Willis can be the most dominant pair of LBs for the next 5 years.
Who cares. He is playing out of his mind this year but no one can tell the future. I think they wait until his contract year then worry about it. You don't start giving big money after one good year.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I don't understand what's so funny...Asante Samuel was a great player for the Pats and they let him go to the Eagles, but I guess the Pats are a poorly run team.

lol, nice.

Ya you totally got me, because Samuel is the ONLY good player in NFL history to not be re-signed by his original team.

The Packers are really struggling this year after deciding not to give Cullen Jenkins (arguably a top-5 player on the SB champs after Rodgers, Jennings, Woodson, and Matthews) a big contract huh?
[ Edited by andes14 on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:02 PM ]
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I agree! when you have young players playing at an elite level, it totally makes sense to not pay them fair value and let them leave while you gamble on replacing them in the draft. Makes SO MUCH SENSE.

Um, should we just disregard the confines of the salary cap? We could use that money to get someone great at a different position that is less likely to be developed very well thru the draft...all the great teams have to make tough decisions sometimes and not give huge contracts to all their great players, that's why there's a draft...

You always try and lock up the elite players on your team. It will be easier to replace another average six-seven expiring conracts through the draft than a pro bowler that has the potential to become of the best in the league.
Originally posted by YungAce:
You always try and lock up the elite players on your team. It will be easier to replace another average six-seven expiring conracts through the draft than a pro bowler that has the potential to become of the best in the league.

Fair point. I just think we're more equipped to develop any ILB than any other team in the league...therefore we should take that into account during contract negotiations.
should we not re-sign Brooks (who is actually a free agent this year) because we have Aldon?

we very well might have to make a tough decision about Bowman--in two years. but intentionally weakening one position to focus on others doesn't make a ton of sense. I would rather have (for arguments sake) the greatest LB unit in NFL history and an ok secondary than a good LB unit and a good secondary.
[ Edited by HessianDud on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:12 PM ]
this thread is so dumb, dont ppl realize thats how u win in this league, draft good and young players at a cheap rate for a few years, obvioulsy u cant sign them all and you'll have to make few choices along the way but to even think about now is crazy he hasnt even finished his second season in the league
[ Edited by crabman82 on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:18 PM ]

Fair point. I just think we're more equipped to develop any ILB than any other team in the league...therefore we should take that into account during contract negotiations.

You.. my friend, have too much Christmas spirit !!!

I also see where you're getting at. MLB/ILB is probably the easiest position to replace in football. The Steelers and Ravens never skip a beat after losing some of their key contributers at LB over the years
[ Edited by YungAce on Dec 23, 2011 at 7:27 PM ]

Give him some chicken and watermelon
Of course he deserves to get paid, the question is whether or not WE should pay him.

Yes we should pay that man. Getting as good a tandem as we have now is a rare luxury. You pay your superstars and gamble on the depth, not the other way around.
Originally posted by blizzuntz:
Give him some chicken and watermelon

Really?

They are not poorly run, but it eventually catches up to you. As mentioned they have a terrible secondary right now.

I say we pay Bowman and keep the tandem together. Having them in the middle can cover deficiencies in other areas. We don't have to bring an extra man into the box, etc. He is worth the price because he and Willis can make average players around him look better.

Plus, last time I checked we are in pretty decent shape as far as the salary cap. Resign our own stars, plug holes through the draft, and look for deals in free agency.
if he continues to play well he will get extended at the end of next year. like already mentioned, he's in the 2nd year of a 4 yr contract...
Share 49ersWebzone