Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Seahawks defense>>>>>>>Packers defense

Niners Offense <<<<<<<<Packers Offense
Originally posted by TheGoldDiggerrrr:
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
Seahawks defense>>>>>>>Packers defense

Niners Offense <<<<<<<<Packers Offense

thats what I mean.......more even matchup than alot of people would believe.
I have been saying this for a long time. In a SF/GB match-up the 49ers would fare quit well. Scheme and personnel wise we match well with them. The way they play offense plays right into the scheme of our D - make you one dimensional and predictable. They come in pre-packaged one dimensional as they don't run at all. Plus, our front 7 as a unit is the best in the league and won't need to blitz a lot to get A. Rodgers off the spot. The Packers offense thrives on blitz's and when teams' front base 4 rushers can't generate pressure (as we seen tonight with the Bears). This is right up our ally because we don't need to send a bunch of exotic blitz's to get to the QB. We also don't give up the big play, something else their offense thrives on. While we are not flashy on offense we do play ball control very well. We move progressively down the field with balance that tends to take chunks of time off the clock. The GB defense has holes that teams rarely get to exploit because their offense is good. Against a ball-control offense that GB D will be exposed like it was against KC. All of th above can be said for the Saints as well.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 25, 2011 at 9:20 PM ]
We can beat them for sure. Not sure we will. But we can is my point. Our personnel matches them better than perhaps anybody. But I just don't know if we can score enough. We can hold them down a bit but you can't go down and get 4 FG's and fizzle out in the redzone all the time. You have to score sometimes. I think we are capable but we have to put the ball in there once in a while. The RZ needs to get better to beat them. We can definitely slow them down. They wouldn't have 35 on us I think. Chicagos defense is not as good as ours.

The Saints IMO are very dangerous too. The can score a lot. I think we can give them a game too if we get them at Candlestick. We can win against anybody. Obviously those are the 2 hardest matchups.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
I have been saying this for a long time. In a SF/GB match-up the 49ers would fare quit well. Scheme and personnel wise we match well with them. The way they play offense plays right into the scheme of our D - make you one dimensional and predictable. They come in pre-packaged one dimensional as they don't run at all. Plus, our front 7 as a unit is the best in the league and won't need to blitz a lot to get A. Rodgers off the spot. The Packers offense thrives on blitz's and when teams' front base 4 rushers can't generate pressure (as we seen tonight with the Bears). This is right up our ally because we don't need to send a bunch of exotic blitz's to get to the QB. We also don't give up the big play, something else their offense thrives on. While we are not flashy on offense we do play ball control very well. We move progressively down the field with balance that tends to take chunks of time off the clock. The GB defense has holes that teams rarely get to exploit because their offense is good. Against a ball-control offense that GB D will be exposed like it was against KC. All of th above can be said for the Saints as well.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. Our team reminds me a lot of the Giants in 1990. A very tough defensive squad with an offense that's capable of ball control, keep away style. They forced the juggarnaut of an offense in the Bill to score quickly because they ate up all the time with every drive. The best defense against an awesome offense is having them waiting on the side line for the next possession. With the Packers weakness against the run, it's equally devastating for them if we can out physical them in the running attack coupled with a few passing plays to take advantage of the run defense. By the 4th quarter to limit them to 1-2 possessions would be a success for us.
^^^^
this.

also, no time for rhythm or feel for a game when the packer offense is on the sidelines.
Aaron Rogers would shred apart out secondary.

Even if we rush 4, which we'll need to, they'll move to the short passing game and just dink and dime their way down the field.

Rogers simply doesn't miss passes.
Originally posted by OregonDuckNiner:

Even if we rush 4, which we'll need to, they'll move to the short passing game and just dink and dime their way down the field.

dink and dunk is far from shredding. and if that's what they do, fine. keep the ball carrier in front of our secondary and hope they come up and make the play/tackle. Willis/Bowman/Willis will force a fumble sooner of later. I only worry about aldon in coverage. bowman and Willis on the dink and dunks will make motherf**kers pay.
Originally posted by 76Razor:

dink and dunk is far from shredding. and if that's what they do, fine. keep the ball carrier in front of our secondary and hope they come up and make the play/tackle. Willis/Bowman/Willis will force a fumble sooner of later. I only worry about aldon in coverage. bowman and Willis on the dink and dunks will make motherf**kers pay.

OK. We'll then they'll spread out the passing game to the outside and force our over-agressive safeties to bite, which will inevtiably happen with Goldson. Plus, they're always going for the big hit. I'm sure Jordy Nelson is going to make Goldson miss at least once and take it to the house on a post pattern.

I mean, I understand what everyone is talking about with us matching up well. But our secondary is the WEAKNESS of this defense and it isn't even funny. Rogers and the passing attack is the strength of the most potent offense in the NFL.

I just don't see how people are spinning the matchup advantage in our favor.

You have to understand that how our defense is schemed and built; dink-&-dunk is what we want teams to do. We been giving teams that all season. Trust me, GB aren't a dink-&-dunk offense, so against us they will be swimming against the tide, sort of speak. And trust me, Rodgers (or the Saints) has not faced a pass rush and a nickle D like ours. An untold story of the Niners D is how we get a lot of pressure by being able to collapse the pocket with our base packages. Thats not an easy thing for teams to do, hense the reason of the need for some teams to employ exotic blitz packages. We do it as a matter of course and thats why teams have hard times against us.

Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:

You have to understand that how our defense is schemed and built; dink-&-dunk is what we want teams to do. We been giving teams that all season. Trust me, GB aren't a dink-&-dunk offense, so against us they will be swimming against the tide, sort of speak. And trust me, Rodgers (or the Saints) has not faced a pass rush and a nickle D like ours. An untold story of the Niners D is how we get a lot of pressure by being able to collapse the pocket with our base packages. Thats not an easy thing for teams to do, hense the reason of the need for some teams to employ exotic blitz packages. We do it as a matter of course and thats why teams have hard times against us.

I understand our defense isn't anything that Rogers has seen before. We are able to collapse the pocket with only a 4-man rush, which is essential. You're correct and It's one of the main reasons our defense has been successful this season.

But we haven't faced an offense like the Packers yet either. We haven't really faced an elite QB like Rogers yet this season either.

I mean we did play Big Ben, but that doesn't even count for me. He wasn't able to play on the top of his game and do what makes him a successful QB. He had to stay in the pocket and hobble around on one leg. He makes his money outside of the pocket and extending plays.

We stopped Romo for a while, but that's because he was playing with a busted rib. Once he came back somewhat able to play, he tore our secondary apart.

s**t, Vick was even hurt when we played him. We have been EXTREMELY lucky when playing QB's this year.

However, let me say this.

We will NEED to pressure Rogers and pressure him quickly if we stand a chance against the Packers. Their offensive line is banged up and that will play to our advantage. We need to make Rogers uncomfortable and not let him hang in the pocket untouched and throw all over the field on us. If that happens, I'll be a little worried.
OK. We'll then they'll spread out the passing game to the outside and force our over-agressive safeties to bite, which will inevtiably happen with Goldson. Plus, they're always going for the big hit. I'm sure Jordy Nelson is going to make Goldson miss at least once and take it to the house on a post pattern.

I mean, I understand what everyone is talking about with us matching up well. But our secondary is the WEAKNESS of this defense and it isn't even funny. Rogers and the passing attack is the strength of the most potent offense in the NFL.

I just don't see how people are spinning the matchup advantage in our favor.

OK, if our secondary is so bad please tell me how is it that we dont give up the big play much? How is it that teams don't put up a lot of points on us? Teams not being able to run on us a reflection of our front 7, but if teams can't get big plays on us they will have a hard time scoring, and thats a reflection of our secondary. The style and scheme of our defense allows for a lot of yards, but not points. I wish people would stop being so fixated on stats and pay more attention on the 49ers overall results and how they reach those results. You don't get 12-3 or win the division in the NFL by accident or happenstance.
Ball control and turnovers will be the key in my opinion because immediate pressure and coverage are a little weak for our teams d. Gb will use the pass to set up the run much like the great niner offenses of the past so controlling the ball will be huge. Hit them in the mouth from the start and I think they fold. I hope we get to see it.
I understand our defense isn't anything that Rogers has seen before. We are able to collapse the pocket with only a 4-man rush, which is essential. You're correct and It's one of the main reasons our defense has been successful this season.

But we haven't faced an offense like the Packers yet either. We haven't really faced an elite QB like Rogers yet this season either.

I mean we did play Big Ben, but that doesn't even count for me. He wasn't able to play on the top of his game and do what makes him a successful QB. He had to stay in the pocket and hobble around on one leg. He makes his money outside of the pocket and extending plays.

We stopped Romo for a while, but that's because he was playing with a busted rib. Once he came back somewhat able to play, he tore our secondary apart.

s**t, Vick was even hurt when we played him. We have been EXTREMELY lucky when playing QB's this year.

However, let me say this.

We will NEED to pressure Rogers and pressure him quickly if we stand a chance against the Packers. Their offensive line is banged up and that will play to our advantage. We need to make Rogers uncomfortable and not let him hang in the pocket untouched and throw all over the field on us. If that happens, I'll be a little worried.

See my last post. It relates to this too. BTW, scheme wise we are better prepared to face them than they are to face us. Take a panoramic view. Everything you said above is what we do very good.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 25, 2011 at 11:48 PM ]
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We can beat them for sure. Not sure we will. But we can is my point. Our personnel matches them better than perhaps anybody. But I just don't know if we can score enough. We can hold them down a bit but you can't go down and get 4 FG's and fizzle out in the redzone all the time. You have to score sometimes. I think we are capable but we have to put the ball in there once in a while. The RZ needs to get better to beat them. We can definitely slow them down. They wouldn't have 35 on us I think. Chicagos defense is not as good as ours.

The Saints IMO are very dangerous too. The can score a lot. I think we can give them a game too if we get them at Candlestick. We can win against anybody. Obviously those are the 2 hardest matchups.

Let's say we do it, let's say we knock them both off... can we beat the Ravens in the Superbowl?
Share 49ersWebzone