LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 202 users in the forums

NFL.com: 49ers have best personnel to use blueprint to beat GB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Been saying the same thing since early on this year.
Originally posted by Jakemall:
Originally posted by 49ersnum1:
I miss Taylor mays, with this coaching staff, he could have been solid

He is 3rd string on cincy, isn't he?

And it was this coaching staff that shipped him out. Good coaching can't save everybody. Next up Chilo.
Originally posted by 1251alex:

what exactly did Taylor Mays do during his time here that makes you miss him? lol. waste one of our draft picks? yah, I totally miss taylor mays.

Is Taylor Mays still in the league, I haven't heard one thing about his this year
I think Tarell Brown is a solid player. I look at it this way; the 49ers have 2 bonafied #2 corners (Rogers and Brown) and 2 bonafied #3 corners (Brown and Culliver). They don't have a #1, which is what I have been saying for a month or so is our one and only missing link. If they were to simply add a #1 corner to cover the other team's #1 receiver (most notably Larry Fitzgerald) that would still allow for our playmakers (Rogers, Brown and Goldson) to make those plays; especially if the QB threw to Rogers' side more giving him even more opportunities to make plays.
[ Edited by enker1700 on Dec 22, 2011 at 8:33 AM ]
Originally posted by enker1700:
I think Tarell Brown is a solid player. I look at it this way; the 49ers have 2 bonafied #2 corners (Rogers and Brown) and 2 bonafied #3 corners (Brown and Culliver). They don't have a #1, which is what I have been saying for a month or so is our one and only missing link. If they were to simply add a #1 corner to cover the other team's #1 receiver (most notably Larry Fitzgerald) that would still allow for our playmakers (Rogers, Brown and Goldson) to make those plays; especially if the QB threw to Rogers' side more giving him even more opportunities to make plays.

Rogers isn't a #1 CB? Who in the NFL makes your list then?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:
I'm with everyone else out here defending Brown. But to be fair: on that play Brown started with at least a 15 yard cushion on Wallace, and opened the play in outside backpedal technique. Basically total prevent mode. Wallace tried to run a deep post anyways and Ben just heaved up a "don't give a sh*t" type of pass. My point: if Brown had somehow been beat on that particular play, given the coverage and technique being called, it frankly would have been pathetic.

Yeah, I know... it's more the play on the ball that showed promise. Just forcing an incomplete or getting a hand on the ball for a pass defensed would not have been impressive, just something he has to be able to do.

Even though he was playing deep off man coverage, once he flipped and was running with him he didn't give any ground and maintained his inside position (proper place with safety over top) against a larger receiver, then made an aggressive play on the ball and fought to keep possession after the catch.

Just shows good technique and ball skills. He played the ball far better than Wallace did.

This has been my major complaint about our secondary for awhile now. Especially Spencer... no ball skills.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

The argument can be made because Rogers plays the slot in our nickel package.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
I'm with everyone else out here defending Brown. But to be fair: on that play Brown started with at least a 15 yard cushion on Wallace, and opened the play in outside backpedal technique. Basically total prevent mode. Wallace tried to run a deep post anyways and Ben just heaved up a "don't give a sh*t" type of pass. My point: if Brown had somehow been beat on that particular play, given the coverage and technique being called, it frankly would have been pathetic.

Yeah, I know... it's more the play on the ball that showed promise. Just forcing an incomplete or getting a hand on the ball for a pass defensed would not have been impressive, just something he has to be able to do.

Even though he was playing deep off man coverage, once he flipped and was running with him he didn't give any ground and maintained his inside position (proper place with safety over top) against a larger receiver, then made an aggressive play on the ball and fought to keep possession after the catch.

Just shows good technique and ball skills. He played the ball far better than Wallace did.

This has been my major complaint about our secondary for awhile now. Especially Spencer... no ball skills.

Yeah well said. I liked how quick he got his head off Wallace and looking for the ball too. Shows good technique and good coaching - Steelers biggest chance of miracle there is pass interference, not a catch.

There are nits to pick about Brown, no doubt, but a good majority of NFL teams would take him as a #2 CB in a heartbeat.

Charles Woodson, Nhamdi Asoumough, Revis, Dunte Robinson, Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, Ike Taylor, Patrick Peterson (he's that good as a rookie), Terrance Newman, guys that "lock down" the other team's best receiver...."pop corn" coverage as Daryl Johnston likes to call it......

I am by NO MEANS knocking Carlos Rogers, he is a well above average corner in this league.....I'm just saying he is NOT a lock down corner

Lock down corners don't usually have a lot of interceptions or PDs because QBs won't even throw their way. If SF had someone like that, they would throw Rogers' way MORE than they already do and we already know how explosive he is with his playmaking ability.....

EVERY TEAM needs a bonafied shut down corner, but of you put an Ike Taylor or a Derrell Revis on a team like the Rams, it's not going to make a difference, but you put a player like that on SF, it would a WORLD of difference.....teams MIGHT NOT be able to score on us (slight exageration, of course)
Originally posted by Wodwo:
The argument can be made because Rogers plays the slot in our nickel package.

Generally your #1 plays the slot in the Nickel package because there is more responsibility invovled.....

I got the formula to make my brownies but just because i got the formula doesnt mean they are gonna bake themselves...
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

Charles Woodson, Nhamdi Asoumough, Revis, Dunte Robinson, Champ Bailey, DeAngelo Hall, Ike Taylor, Patrick Peterson (he's that good as a rookie), Terrance Newman, guys that "lock down" the other team's best receiver...."pop corn" coverage as Daryl Johnston likes to call it......

I am by NO MEANS knocking Carlos Rogers, he is a well above average corner in this league.....I'm just saying he is NOT a lock down corner

Lock down corners don't usually have a lot of interceptions or PDs because QBs won't even throw their way. If SF had someone like that, they would throw Rogers' way MORE than they already do and we already know how explosive he is with his playmaking ability.....

EVERY TEAM needs a bonafied shut down corner, but of you put an Ike Taylor or a Derrell Revis on a team like the Rams, it's not going to make a difference, but you put a player like that on SF, it would a WORLD of difference.....teams MIGHT NOT be able to score on us (slight exageration, of course)

What? Patrick Peterson is among the league's worst CB's this season. The QB rating against him is among the highest of all rookie CB. He is an absolute liability for the Cardinals in coverage. Teams throw his way on nearly every 3rd down. And they complete it more often than not.

Maybe he will one day be a good CB. But this year he is one of the worst.

carlos would start for every team in the NFL.

THAT is a #1 corner.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by 1251alex:

what exactly did Taylor Mays do during his time here that makes you miss him? lol. waste one of our draft picks? yah, I totally miss taylor mays.

Is Taylor Mays still in the league, I haven't heard one thing about his this year

failed to make a play last week vs the Rams on the Alexander TD, still can't figure out Mays was trying to do on that play
Just like many other posters....I've been freakin' saying this all year.
Share 49ersWebzone