LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 163 users in the forums

Do we have the makings of an all-time great LB group?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by okdkid:
Originally posted by Ninerjohn:
I'd take our LBs against any in NFL history.

LOL. Brooks and Haralson are decent but thats about it. Bowman and Smith are in their first years as dominant LBs. I doubt anyone is seriously going to rank them with the greatest of all time at this point ( well other than you obviously} If Smith and Bowman continue to improve and they get another dominant OLB then they could be right up there. Just not yet.

Best LB groups ever in my opinion:

86 NYG Lawrence Taylor Harry Carson Carl Banks
85 Bears Wilbur Marshall Mike Singletary Otis Wilson

That's like saying Babe Ruth would be a good player in the present era. Those guys are too small and unathletic compared to today's players. They were great... by 1980s standards.

. . . which is the only fair way to judge any athlete playing a team sport, within the landscape in which they played.
Yes yes we do

LOL. Brooks and Haralson are decent but thats about it. Bowman and Smith are in their first years as dominant LBs. I doubt anyone is seriously going to rank them with the greatest of all time at this point ( well other than you obviously} If Smith and Bowman continue to improve and they get another dominant OLB then they could be right up there. Just not yet.

That's like saying Babe Ruth would be a good player in the present era. Those guys are too small and unathletic compared to today's players. They were great... by 1980s standards. Singletary and Taylor are the only one's who could compete at this level.

Did you even watch them play ? I doubt it based on this comment. By the way, just because someone played in a past time does NOT mean they were not great and could not be now. Willie Mays would be incredible now. Ronnie Lott would still be amazing. Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan. How many examples do you need. Joe Montana? If you are special it doesnt matter if you played in the 80s or played now.

Putting the Niners LB group over any other in NFL history is just laughable.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran

That's like saying Babe Ruth would be a good player in the present era. Those guys are too small and unathletic compared to today's players. They were great... by 1980s standards. Singletary and Taylor are the only one's who could compete at this level.

Did you even watch them play ? I doubt it based on this comment. By the way, just because someone played in a past time does NOT mean they were not great and could not be now. Willie Mays would be incredible now. Ronnie Lott would still be amazing. Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan. How many examples do you need. Joe Montana? If you are special it doesnt matter if you played in the 80s or played now.

This season, that LB group has undoubtedly performed at the same or higher level than the ones you mentioned.

Their rush defense is the best single season in NFL history. Not open for debate.

And their overall points allowed is on pace to be among the fewest in the last 15 years. That's a fact, Jack.

Statistics and logic are not on your side. Have a nice day.
Dome Patrol is still #1 IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dome_Patrol
willis bowman and smith are beasts. we still need another OLB. is grant any good on the outside? i like how he plays
This LB core has nothing but upside. Brooks is in his first full season as a 3-4 OLB so theoretically with a full TC he should be better next year. Willis is already better than any of the Dome Patrol LB's (who I do agree sets the standard). Bowman has been a tackling machine this season and should only get better. Then there is Aldon who is going to possibly break the rookie nfl sack record in spot situations. In 3 years we may be looking at this core as the best ever but they are amazingly still a work in progress with a lot of room to grow. Haralson and Grant as backups next seasons is pretty damn strong depth also.

This season, that LB group has undoubtedly performed at the same or higher level than the ones you mentioned.

Their rush defense is the best single season in NFL history. Not open for debate.

And their overall points allowed is on pace to be among the fewest in the last 15 years. That's a fact, Jack.

Gotta put a Ring behind that or it wont matter.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Gotta put a Ring behind that or it wont matter.

Even comparing this linebacker corps to the 2 greatest LB groups ever that dominated and won SB's in 85 and 86 is ridiculous. Ya right.. the 2011 49er defense is better than the 85 Bears. LOL. The group is very good but calling them the best ever after 14 games is a joke. Willis is awesome, Smith is a damn good rookie, Bowman has really come on as a 2nd year player, and the others are average. Really good for 2011 but WAY WAY WAY premature to say anyone would EVER consider them the G.O.A.T.
Willis, Bowman, and Aldon are 3/4 to the best LB corps in the NFL.

Brooks shows flashes of being in that group, but he also disappears at times.

If Brooks can be more consistent or if they can get another guy (maybe in the draft the way Dallas drafter Spencer to bookend Ware) then this would hands down be the best corps in the NFL. Anyone know who will be available with pick #32?

I think some are going a bit overboard with Grant tho. He has played well in relief of WIllis, but I don't see as much of an upgrade over Brooks.

Originally posted by SonocoNinerFan:

That's like saying Babe Ruth would be a good player in the present era. Those guys are too small and unathletic compared to today's players. They were great... by 1980s standards.

. . . which is the only fair way to judge any athlete playing a team sport, within the landscape in which they played.

I'm pretty sure LT is the greatest LB hands down of all time.... regardless of era. And he also remains the most athletic of all the LBs to ever play the game. BTW, do you use the same logic with Jerry Rice and Joe Montana? Ronnie Lott?
Share 49ersWebzone