There are 218 users in the forums

Did anyone else sense the seething hatred coming from Jaworski?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Shaj:
Honestly, I didn't notice it. I agreed with just about everything they said about our team tonight, and there was a lot of heap praised on us, esp D & ST.

Jaws bashed Smith that's why you liked it. Quit trolling.

Chuckie was far more even handed. He understood that bad pass to Gore was due entirely to TP changing the throw due to he being in Smith's face. I recall you foolishly blamed Smith for that. Get over it. Move on. You have a good qb.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Niners99:
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i felt like everything jon gruden said was biased against the niners...was really pissing me off...tirico too for that matter

I dont see why he would be biased against the Niners...his roots were with the Niners.

I think its just "safer" for every NFL analyst to side with the more proven, highly regarded team in cases like this. otherwise they can go out on too much of a limb, and look dumb if things dont go well. meaning, the Niners have been crap for 8 years, and the Steelers have been one of the elite teams. If they all come out banging the 49er drum, and the Steelers whipped us, theyd lose a bunch of credibility to the east coast market, who already loves the Steelers.

Its stupid, but anyone who goes on TV and gives an opinion loves to stay as neutral as possible so they never risk credibility. If Jon Gruden sides with the Steelers, and they win, he looks smart. if he sides with the Steelers, and they lose, the rest of America will have shared that opinion to begin with, and theyll all be wrong together. If Gruden sides with the newly successful west coast Niners, who people dont know a ton about, or dont believe in yet, and the Niners lose, the majority of the country will say "what a moron, everyone knew PIT would win. the Niners are pretenders."

as annoying as Skip Bayless is, at least he takes an extreme opinion and stands firm with it. it might be only to get attention and get people all riled up, but at least hes not like most of the people on ESPN who love to basically say "the Niners could win tonight if they play well, but then again, the Steelers could win too" as their "expert opinion" segment.

Like Eric Mangini. Getting a straight answer out of him is like pulling teeth.
I don't think it is a particular 49er bias. Jaworski is an idiot. He doesn't do his homework and throws out cliches and "common knowledge." The only time he ever says something worth hearing is when he talks about technique playing the QB position. He once said that Alex locks his front leg on throws which causes inaccuracy. I have no idea if its true or not but that level of detail is really all Jaworski is good for. This broadcast team would be much better off if Jaws goes away.
Originally posted by DonnieDarko:
i felt like everything jon gruden said was biased against the niners...was really pissing me off...tirico too for that matter

Are you kidding me? Gruden had a hardon for 49er players all night. Like both Aldon/Justin Smith and Bruce Miller

Can't hate on Jaws for calling smith inaccurate when he missed throws.jaws gave smith props for some nice touch passes
Gruden loves our type of team, hard nose running team with a great defense. All around blue collar team, he eats that stuff up.
I think Jaws is ok. He was overly (and wrongly) critical of smith almost out of reflex on certain plays. that is really unfortunate because less experienced and knowledgable football minds (*ahem* sheep on this board), take what he says and run with it.

I really had a problem with his analysis of those two redzone throws. Neither of those were really on Smith at all. He made the correct read on the first play, and the second play he was heavily pressured, and couldn't throw it farther towards Gore. Jaws was just promulgating his own tired Smith analysis, which smacks of intellectual laziness to me.

However, he did give Smith props for his big throws on the late touchdown drive, and I generally enjoy the chemistry between the MNF crew.
Was Jaws the one who was criticizing Alex after seeing him throw on the sideline his rookie year saying he'll never amount to anything?

Originally posted by Negrodamus:
Originally posted by Antix:
I ain't never heard our d get slurped so hard. And they backed that s**t up. I don't remember much what they said bout smith but he balled when he had to so f**k it

gruden "if Aldon keeps playing like this tonight, he'll end up in HOF"....laughed my ass off

Uhm, apparently Gruden hasn't read MadDag's report on Smith not being a HOF.
Originally posted by Phoenix49ers:
This guy had the fangs and claws out all game when talking about Alex Smith, I was watching the game with my dad who doesn't watch a lot of football and even he picked up on it, asking if Alex had tried to steal Jaworski's woman. He was bashing on Smith all day, talking up Big Ben all the time, "I think he's going to catch fire here", and then further trying to minimize Smith by talking up the 49ers game. He made it a point to talk about "accuracy" and yeah, Alex didn't have a great game but that Kyle Williams pass was totally not his fault, Williams was supposed to sit where he was, not keep running. Steve Young, Dilfer and many others commented on that, yet Jaworski made it sound like it was all Alex's fault.

Rightfully so. Smith looked like crapola I thought. He made some decent plays in the 2nd half, but missed on some very elementary throws that most high school QB's should make.

The apologists can defend Smith all they want, but Jaws was right on with his criticism imo.

Originally posted by TheChozen:
Was Jaws the one who was criticizing Alex after seeing him throw on the sideline his rookie year saying he'll never amount to anything?

NO ,that was Niner Nation. Kidding...

I think it was actually. Or merle, the dude from espn who hates tebow as well.

Jaworski actually, was all about smith the 2nd year when he had the comeback victory vs. seattle...
Originally posted by WINiner:
Rightfully so. Smith looked like crapola I thought. He made some decent plays in the 2nd half, but missed on some very elementary throws that most high school QB's should make.

The apologists can defend Smith all they want, but Jaws was right on with his criticism imo.
missing a couple passes against the #1 pass defense in the NFL? really? lol...

i agree, that throw to crabs was f**king pathetic, but saying he missed "elementary throws," is highly suspect.
No. Just didn't.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
I especially liked when he talked about Smith's inaccuracy and the TV showed his pass to Gore while neglecting to show the first half of the play with Polumalu.

The pass to Williams was the receivers fault. The pass to Gore displayed Alex's limitations. He could have sidearmer it.

I disagree the defender was on top of him in an instant, Alex did the right thing, I dont think he had the time to go sidearm, but Alex did miss on a couple of throws which he should of made.
I would be upset at everything too if i had a nickname like "Jaws"
Share 49ersWebzone