There are 213 users in the forums

keeping our offensive playbook a secret

Shop Find 49ers gear online
He's waiting until we get a better O Line and QB. Yes, I went there.
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

what about receivers? it would help if our receivers would catch the ball. I think we once again are pretty close to leading the league in dropped passes.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by LeftBankeNiner:

what about receivers? it would help if our receivers would catch the ball. I think we once again are pretty close to leading the league in dropped passes.

These guys will give you a lecture about "ball placement." It's why WR's / TE's drop the ball. It's the QB. Like throwing directly between the 1 and the 9 on Ted Ginn. A bad place to put it for him. Or the 50 yard bomb to VD that hit him in full stride on the hands in the endzone. He should put that in a better place...
Originally posted by Joecool:
I don't think he's hiding the Playbook but I do think they are testing some personnel groupings.

That's the impression that I get. I don't really buy into the notion that the staff is sitting on a trove of "secret plays." I'm sure they have a few more stunt plays up their sleeve, but the notion that we're withholding large sections of the playbook at a time when we're struggling with meat and potatoes aspects of the game seems a bit far fetched.

I think Joecool is right: far from trying to protect the playbook, it seems much more likely that we're trying to grow the playbook...and there appears to be no shortage of fertilizer at the moment.
[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Dec 13, 2011 at 2:00 AM ]
He is not hiding anything. Quit kidding yourself.
He has plays he'd like to implement, but they're not in the usable playbook. There's no secret chapter they've been working on and keeping for the playoffs, but there are new wrinkles we'll continue to see on a weekly basis over the next year or two.
  • Ether
  • Veteran
We've been keeping our offense a secret for the past 6 or so seasons
It's not all about some special play. There is no play that is so good that it's guaranteed to work. It's about execution. If you execute it well enough, just about any play can be successful, almost regardless of the defense it's facing. Some are better than others, but I guarantee you they've implemented, and used, what they consider the 'best' plays by now.
do we actually have a play book?..
Originally posted by mug0mug:
It's not all about some special play. There is no play that is so good that it's guaranteed to work. It's about execution. If you execute it well enough, just about any play can be successful, almost regardless of the defense it's facing. Some are better than others, but I guarantee you they've implemented, and used, what they consider the 'best' plays by now.

Well said.

Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by mug0mug:

Well said.

I believe it was Vince Lombardi who claimed that if his team properly executed his famous sweep play, there was no defense that could stop it. So, yeah, it is about execution mostly. Our guys have to out-play their guys, and we are not doing that right now, especially on offense, and particularly the offensive line. We seem to move the ball really well up until we reach the Red Zone, and then the wheels fall off. Personally, I see that the offense is becoming too predictable once we get there, and if we're inside the 5-yard line, we become utterly predictable. I'd like to see Harbaugh utilize the naked bootleg on the goal line. I think Alex Smith can run it, and we have the threat of Frank Gore to sell it. Too many times the opposing defense knows we're gonna try to pound it in, and too many times they're right. Maybe try a little option with the fly sweep since teams have seen us run several times.

I'm personally frustrated at our lack of touchdowns in the Red Zone. I'm tired of settling for field goals. That's how we lose games like we did Sunday to Arizona. We're a much better team than they are, but we let them take it to us. However, the cup is still half-full. We are 10-3.

Dan
49ers Fan in NC
Good point about the bootleg, Dan. I'm sure my neighbors from 3 doors down can attest to my interest in seeing us use it again. Through all of the coordinators we've had, that play has consistently worked well for Smith.
i think they are hiding certain plays especially our red zone plays
This is just dumb...Do you mean to say that Harbaugh wants to keep certain plays secret at the risk of losing more games? and losing the opportunity for a bye week.
10-3 and u think we have a Bag of Tricks waiting to be set loose? The Fake Field Goal a trick used?? the onside Kick a trick used? everyone has these and if you played football your supposed to be covered for them every play unless ur on a all out punt block.. I doubt we really have any big tricks up our sleeves.. harbaughs system is run first and have a good QB to win u games while using the WCO.. And thats what ive beeen seeing week in and week out..
Share 49ersWebzone