LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 226 users in the forums

Tarrel Brown (Quick Question)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Did you guys forget Goldson going for the pick and nearly hurting himself as Fitz walked into the end zone yesterday?? That one wasn't on Brown...
Originally posted by CripplinYaStyle:
Simple question I want to know why Tarrel Brown arguably our worst corner on the roster is always covering the opposing team's best WR. It seems like for every one good play Brown does (once in a blue), he does (3) to (4) bad ones. Like why the hell would Fangio match up Brown against Calvin Johnson or yesterday against Larry Fitz???? I'm striving to make sense out of this mockery, I just don't understand why Rogers isn't going toe to toe consecutively against team's best WR.

Yeah, I believe Fangio and Donatell would argue with you.
Brown is fine. No one seems to notice when Rogers gets smoked, which happens just as often as Brown.
  • okdkid
  • Veteran
I'm glad Brown is on our roster. Hopefully he will be a 49er for years to come.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Brown is fine. No one seems to notice when Rogers gets smoked, which happens just as often as Brown.

This is true! I pointed this out in the past but you are dead on.
Originally posted by NCommand:

also, in terms of yesterdays game, our downfall was our safeties. The NFL has made it fairly impossible to have consistently great secondary play, IMO; the rules greatly favor the receivers. DB's practically have to play perfect games. When they don't, they look like trash. the entire secondary made mistakes yesterday and paid dearly for it.

overall though they have been pretty good, including Brown, but they've all had their WTF moments. We need to look at upgrading the secondary for sure, but I no longer think Brown is much of a liability.
also, in terms of yesterdays game, our downfall was our safeties. The NFL has made it fairly impossible to have consistently great secondary play, IMO; the rules greatly favor the receivers. DB's practically have to play perfect games. When they don't, they look like trash. the entire secondary made mistakes yesterday and paid dearly for it.

overall though they have been pretty good, including Brown, but they've all had their WTF moments. We need to look at upgrading the secondary for sure, but I no longer think Brown is much of a liability.

Brown is underrated, alright. Carlos Rodgers made a half-hearted attempt at the ball, like his feet were planted, but his body was in no position to stop the receiver after he caught the ball. Goldson (even Whitner admitted this) went after the ball, mistakenly. Like I've been saying, the DBs gambled a little too much.

This, very much.

Plus it didn't help that Fitzgerald went nuts yesterday, that catch he made vs Goldson when he fought and just plucked the ball in the air was spectacular. He just wasn't going to be denied.
Originally posted by verb1der:

This, very much.

Plus it didn't help that Fitzgerald went nuts yesterday, that catch he made vs Goldson when he fought and just plucked the ball in the air was spectacular. He just wasn't going to be denied.

Fitz is on another level...I mean, you know how the game slows down for Great QBs....well for him I'm sure it slows down too, because he purposely kneed Goldson on the kidneys to be able out catch him. I'm sure he has practiced that for years. It was masterful. That evil f***.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Fitz is on another level...I mean, you know how the game slows down for Great QBs....well for him I'm sure it slows down too, because he purposely kneed Goldson on the kidneys to be able out catch him. I'm sure he has practiced that for years. It was masterful. That evil f***.

Do you think Goldson should have tackled, instead of going for the pick?

Originally posted by lssanjose:

Do you think Goldson should have tackled, instead of going for the pick?

actually no....he felt he had good position and went for it.... Fitz just made a great play. I mean Goldson was there...and he is just as tall as Fitz. Maybe he should have went for the swat, but that is after the fact. We can't have Goldson second guessing himself in those situations....that is what makes him good, usuaully he makes the right play.

the other TD, Skeleton just found the perfect spot in the zone and beat the defense, and there was no way Goldson was able to get him.

I know there are some that don't like Dashon....but I LOVE having Goldson and Whitner as our safeties. A couple of years back, Michael Lewis was the weak link that gave up a play on 3rd downs..... I don't know who some want to replace Goldson with, if we did not resign him.....I do NOT want Reggie Smith out there. On the first play Goldson was out, AZ ran the ball and Smith missed a tackle in the box...and the runner got some good yardage...and lets not talk about his coverage issues.
actually no....he felt he had good position and went for it.... Fitz just made a great play. I mean Goldson was there...and he is just as tall as Fitz. Maybe he should have went for the swat, but that is after the fact. We can't have Goldson second guessing himself in those situations....that is what makes him good, usuaully he makes the right play.

the other TD, Skeleton just found the perfect spot in the zone and beat the defense, and there was no way Goldson was able to get him.

I know there are some that don't like Dashon....but I LOVE having Goldson and Whitner as our safeties. A couple of years back, Michael Lewis was the weak link that gave up a play on 3rd downs..... I don't know who some want to replace Goldson with, if we did not resign him.....I do NOT want Reggie Smith out there. On the first play Goldson was out, AZ ran the ball and Smith missed a tackle in the box...and the runner got some good yardage...and lets not talk about his coverage issues.

Agreed on Reggie Smith. Right, in the heat of hte moment, can't second guess decisions on the part of Goldson
  • MarkD
  • Veteran
Brown is fast and a short strider which works better in man to man which Fangio likes. Spencer on the other hand is a long strider type. This is also Browns first year as a full time starter. He is good position most of the time and has good technique. If you look at the second half of yesterdays game the 49ers were not getting much pressure on the QB. There isnt a corner in the league that can cover for more than 4-5 seconds. Any longer than that and the corners coverage percentage goes down. So basically he fits if the 9ers are getting pressure.
Share 49ersWebzone