LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 283 users in the forums

Tarrel Brown (Quick Question)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Simple question I want to know why Tarrel Brown arguably our worst corner on the roster is always covering the opposing team's best WR. It seems like for every one good play Brown does (once in a blue), he does (3) to (4) bad ones. Like why the hell would Fangio match up Brown against Calvin Johnson or yesterday against Larry Fitz???? I'm striving to make sense out of this mockery, I just don't understand why Rogers isn't going toe to toe consecutively against team's best WR.
possibly to asses his value, CB could be a high priority in the draft
maybe they think he covers that type of receiver better than carlos and the other guys, or they were playing a zone and he was the db in the area
Do you fellas ever notice how lost Culliver is out there? Culliver in zone coverage is quite comical, always out of position, either whiffing on a press or just letting the WR run behind him. Notice after he gives up yards for a first down or big play his body language clearly has "CONFUSED" written all over it. Makes me wish Spencer was playing. We never let Larry Fitz break a game open like he did today in previous seasons, the answer has clearly been SPENCER
Originally posted by CripplinYaStyle:
Do you fellas ever notice how lost Culliver is out there? Culliver in zone coverage is quite comical, always out of position, either whiffing on a press or just letting the WR run behind him. Notice after he gives up yards for a first down or big play his body language clearly has "CONFUSED" written all over it. Makes me wish Spencer was playing. We never let Larry Fitz break a game open like he did today in previous seasons, the answer has clearly been SPENCER

Spencer played toady

and Culliver is a rookie who was converted to CB...it takes time
^^^Spencer played today? Really? I know he was active but didn't think he checked in. He must of been on a serious snap count. Roughly how many snaps did he get. Any significant production in that you observed? Probably not because I didn't even notice him
^^^Spencer played today? Really? I know he was active but didn't think he checked in. He must of been on a serious snap count. Roughly how many snaps did he get. Any significant production in that you observed? Probably not because I didn't even notice him

was tweeted by one of the matts, didnt notice him
The way our CB's play, I sometimes forget that Manusky isn't the one implementing the defenses any more. I mean 3rd and 4 and the cb's are playing 5 yards from the WR. Rather stupid and strange
The way our CB's play, I sometimes forget that Manusky isn't the one implementing the defenses any more. I mean 3rd and 4 and the cb's are playing 5 yards from the WR. Rather stupid and strange

both were on the injury report all week, may of been a reason why they were playing safe
  • Ether
  • Veteran
Maybe he looks like our worst CB because he is always guarding the opponent's best receiver.

First of all, as some have noted we were in zone coverage the large majority of the time yesterday. You don't switch corners around to different sides in a zone - it's hard enough to get guys to remember their assignments in zone as it is.

Why didn't we play more man? Fair question, although in general Skelton seemed really tentative against zone. He might have come out with good looking numbers, but that shouldn't obscure the fact that several of his big plays were very fortunate. I actually think our secondary played quite well. When evaluating players, you grade each play for the performance not the result.

Tarell Brown is also seriously underrated by some posters on this board. 90% of the teams in this league would like their second corner to be playing as well as he has.
90% of the teams in this league would like their second corner to give up 3 to 4 big gains a game to opposing WR's solely on bad positioning or not playing the ball? Tarrel Brown hasn't had a clean game all season, mistake prone corner with as much field awareness ass Vernon Davis
90% of the teams in this league would like their second corner to give up 3 to 4 big gains a game to opposing WR's solely on bad positioning or not playing the ball? Tarrel Brown hasn't had a clean game all season, mistake prone corner with as much field awareness ass Vernon Davis

1 - It's often hard to tell who's at fault in a zone (sometimes it's no one), but it's clear that some of the Cardinals big plays were not solely on Brown
2 - Admittedly, this was not Brown's best game but it's hardly fair to judge his whole season on it.
3 - Other teams 2nd/3rd corners routinely get torched far more than Brown does. Watch some other teams and evaluate their CB play. Or go to one of the many player grading sites, which have Brown graded out as an above-average player.
  • jcs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by johnnyredneat:

1 - It's often hard to tell who's at fault in a zone (sometimes it's no one), but it's clear that some of the Cardinals big plays were not solely on Brown
2 - Admittedly, this was not Brown's best game but it's hardly fair to judge his whole season on it.
3 - Other teams 2nd/3rd corners routinely get torched far more than Brown does. Watch some other teams and evaluate their CB play. Or go to one of the many player grading sites, which have Brown graded out as an above-average player.

I'm going to have to agree with this, Brown is a good CB. It's the Safety play that sucks and I don't know why Culliver is out there he is constantly getting beat by other teams #3-4 WR.
The team actually believes Brown is the 2nd best corner. And I'm not kidding. Brown is not going anywhere. And that is downright scary.
Share 49ersWebzone