LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 279 users in the forums

catchable balls

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by LasVegasWally:
It's a lot of everything. The Oline can't handle the blitz packagaes. Dropped passes. Alex needs to play better. The coaches need to figure out plays that work in the red zone.

alex did miss that tackle on fitzgerald at midfield, didnt he?
Originally posted by hofer36:
It's a lot of everything. The Oline can't handle the blitz packagaes. Dropped passes. Alex needs to play better. The coaches need to figure out plays that work in the red zone.

Naw, he didnt.

He was too busy missing receivers, blitzers, and redzone opportunities to worry about missing tackles.
Originally posted by rk1642:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
What? He didn't looked rattled to you, TODAY? And he didn't looked rattled to you against the Ravens? He looked rattled against Dallas and the Lions. Do you see the trend? Teams with ferocious front 7 effect his and the passing game.

Each of those games he made a stupid interception and didn't have a great game. He was able to pull it together in the Lions game with the assistance of his teammate, and as usual, ST and Defense. Today, he wasn't able to make the play when we needed it all game long.

He wasn't able to make the plays like:

1.) under pressure, he throws a perfect deep ball to Ginn at the goal line, who never finds the ball, (Result: should have been a what 40 yard td for Smith)

2.) Hits Edwards on the hip on a quick read over the middle (Result: Edwards never looks for the ball so incomplete pass)

3.) Throws a back shoulder pass to Edwards in the red zone (Result: Edwards never makes a play on the ball: WTF) easily could have been a td for Alex and the team. Was not a perfect back shoulder but easliy catchable and have seen tons of other wr's make that play every Sunday.

4.) Perfect pass to Walker on a critical 3rd down play under pressure again. (Result: another critical drop by a wr on this team, should have been a completion and 1st down.

5.) Under pressure, Alex throw a deep ball to Crabs on the sideline (Result: Crabs never locates the ball so incomplete. Was perfectly thrown over the db where only our guy could get it. Would have been a great catch but gotta have those. Some on this board always say Alex can't or won't throw the deep ball but when he does, crap like this happens way too often.

6.) Alex running for his life on the last play, eluding 2 rushers and points to the spot where he's going with the throw (Result: Hunter gets two hands on the ball but drops it. Tough catch, yeah but gotta be made. No other wr on our team could get open after all that time Alex was running around was the defining moment that most on this board should have come to realize, which is our wr's are very average.

So as you can plainly see, Alex did make the throws in this game that would have resulted in a different outcome.

What happened is that his wr's didn't make even the simple easy catchs let alone a tough one.

Can't see or want to except any of the above? Then can't help a fella out!

I can dig it. It still doesn't change the fact that he looked innacurrate and jittery.

Did you see him step up into the pocket much? On that last play, which was foolish by any QB standards, he was flushed out and ran direclty into the rush...then had to get himself out of the mess he put himself in, and made a poor throw to Hunter.

The other passes are short little throws.

You can pick and choose plays that WR and Oline messed up on. And you can also point out plays where the QB messed up as well. I'm trying to think of a spectacular play/throw he made in that game?

The one to Ginn he was hit and it wobbled downfield like a punt. The Edwards passses the tming was off. Timing patterns that don't work out are both QB and WR's fault.

That pass to Walk was again a result of some poor pocket work where A.Smith was running around like a college QB and threw it back across the field to Walker on a busted play. Yeah Walker missed but the QBs poor pocket mechanics led to that.

WRs and OL are going to mess up on every team. The QB needs to fit throws into tight windowns consistantly and constantly. Smith does is rarely, mixed in with overthrows, happy feet, and plain WTF moments.
Now you know i actually like this thread. Because i just stated yesterday, give us a true PROVEN NO#1 receiver and I promise you we'd be the team with the least drops. I mean Skelton had Fitz. Some that think a true no 1 isnt a big deal, then take out his performance and see if Skelton's numbers are all that great.

Those plays that He made for Skelton, especially where he bounced through 3 or 4 of our defenders and had the long drive, or when he jumped almost blindly with Goldson, (one of the hardest hitters on the team), and he snatched it at it's highest point, in which i thought would of been an INT.

We belittle how much this position holds value, because the vast majority are so enamored with all things being Smith (Alex of course, lol), that they cant see any other aspect of the field, players, or game.

When we have no TD catches dropped, then lets talk about how bad the Qb is playing.
What? He didn't looked rattled to you, TODAY? And he didn't looked rattled to you against the Ravens? He looked rattled against Dallas and the Lions. Do you see the trend? Teams with ferocious front 7 effect his and the passing game.

Each of those games he made a stupid interception and didn't have a great game. He was able to pull it together in the Lions game with the assistance of his teammate, and as usual, ST and Defense. Today, he wasn't able to make the play when we needed it all game long.

1.) under pressure, he throws a perfect deep ball to Ginn at the goal line, who never finds the ball, (Result: should have been a what 40 yard td for Smith)

2.) Hits Edwards on the hip on a quick read over the middle (Result: Edwards never looks for the ball so incomplete pass)

3.) Throws a back shoulder pass to Edwards in the red zone (Result: Edwards never makes a play on the ball: WTF) easily could have been a td for Alex and the team. Was not a perfect back shoulder but easliy catchable and have seen tons of other wr's make that play every Sunday.

4.) Perfect pass to Walker on a critical 3rd down play under pressure again. (Result: another critical drop by a wr on this team, should have been a completion and 1st down.

5.) Under pressure, Alex throw a deep ball to Crabs on the sideline (Result: Crabs never locates the ball so incomplete. Was perfectly thrown over the db where only our guy could get it. Would have been a great catch but gotta have those. Some on this board always say Alex can't or won't throw the deep ball but when he does, crap like this happens way too often.

6.) Alex running for his life on the last play, eluding 2 rushers and points to the spot where he's going with the throw (Result: Hunter gets two hands on the ball but drops it. Tough catch, yeah but gotta be made. No other wr on our team could get open after all that time Alex was running around was the defining moment that most on this board should have come to realize, which is our wr's are very average.

So as you can plainly see, Alex did make the throws in this game that would have resulted in a different outcome.

What happened is that his wr's didn't make even the simple easy catchs let alone a tough one.

I can dig it. It still doesn't change the fact that he looked innacurrate and jittery.

Did you see him step up into the pocket much? On that last play, which was foolish by any QB standards, he was flushed out and ran direclty into the rush...then had to get himself out of the mess he put himself in, and made a poor throw to Hunter.

You can pick and choose plays that WR and Oline messed up on. And you can also point out plays where the QB messed up as well. I'm trying to think of a spectacular play/throw he made in that game?

The one to Ginn he was hit and it wobbled downfield like a punt. The Edwards passses the tming was off. Timing patterns that don't work out are both QB and WR's fault.

That pass to Walk was again a result of some poor pocket work where A.Smith was running around like a college QB and threw it back across the field to Walker on a busted play. Yeah Walker missed but the QBs poor pocket mechanics led to that.

WRs and OL are going to mess up on every team. The QB needs to fit throws into tight windowns consistantly and constantly. Smith does is rarely, mixed in with overthrows, happy feet, and plain WTF moments.

Listen, I agree Alex needs to get better and could have had a better game but you said it that the qb and wr need to be on the same page.

I'll agree Alex could have been more accurate but lets be clear here, if the wr's catch all of the easy balls, including the td to Ginn that he never saw, Alex has a very nice game and we win. Period, end of story.

Now they didn't, they dropped or didn't see alot of balls yesterday and it cost not only Alex but the O and the team. Alex is not gonna be accurate 100% of the time (Not even Rodgers is) but even including drops his comp % for the year has been above average.

Thing is, when he is accurate, the wr have to make the play. Each one of those drops or not seeing the ball turns into a missed td, 1st down or staying ahead of the chain.

I gotta ask, can u tell me about the Happy Feet syndrome. And im being straight up, because I've heard a few, not too many, but more than a handful say this about his feet. I mean maybe i'm missing something, but i'll say his feet were ready to roll at least 75% of the time, because of the oline breaking down, and him having to try and scramble.

Now let me at first point out. Yes he did not play great. Horrible, not at all. Not making excuses for any player on the team in that loss, including Smith. As i said he had his share in the loss, but not the main reason.

I just say as you say it's true, WR's and Olines do have miscommunications and breadowns, but then lets say that so do QB's and yes, some of the Elite QB's do as well.

I'll just give you a quick example of 5 QB's and their Wr's in comparison to ours. And this happens regularly.

In watching Rodgers, Romo, Manning, Rivers, Brees, and Even Skelton (figured some are waiting for this one).

In each game they all had one play where the line broke down, and they had to scramble to make something happen. And each time, you saw EVERY wr on the field watching the QB to make a play for their QB. And each one did, except for us. And with Skelton, remember that horrible throw once he got out the pocket rolled to his left, and his WR was basically on his knees and converted for the first down. Or when Skelton threw some horrible passes and his WR just beat his man and went up and caught the ball.

Just as we say about consistency with our QB, we really have none with our WR's. Even when Morgan was in, each week there was a new go to guy, and the one that showed up the previous week, didnt the next.

I mean lets be real, we talked about when we lost Morgan, we talk almost the last couple weeks about Ginn dropping the ball, or the last few weeks Delanie dropped a few, or Edwards looks lost, and why isnt Kyle playing more, etc. We talk about these things each week, but for some reason after the game, say Smith did this or that, all the while forgetting the issues that we've had all year with our receiving corps.

I mean lets be honest, on any other team, if they have the drops that we have, the Wr would either be way down on the depth chart, or off the team. I mean who's our legit no 1 or 2. Who's been constantly healthy enough to build that rapport with Smith? Edwards spoke of how much him and Smith put time in, then he's hurt and nothing. We just need to hold onto the damn ball in those key drives, period.
[ Edited by Jersey9er on Dec 12, 2011 at 1:34 PM ]
Is Jerry Sullivan still our WR coach? I dont remember if he was canned or kept around this year- I'm guessing he is still around? So sick of bad WR play from this team. I'll cut Hunter some slack being a rookie and a RB, but nobody else on this team should be dropping passes at this stage of their career. Total bs

Williams, Crabs and Morgan start next year and bring in top legit FA, draft hands not speed
Originally posted by Mrpelonsj:
i give up...it was nice while it lasted...

as we rape big been. show some faith...
Originally posted by YoungWifey:
It's too much of a coincidence for all these receivers to drop balls like this. There is no doubt that there may seem to be many catchable balls but a big issue is the rhythm and timing. Crabtree has improved. I'm sorry but that receivers coach needs to go. There is just too many things wrong with our offense it'll take me all day. but make no mistake about it, Alex made a lot of poor throws and still frustrates me because he was not playing a good leadership role today. And don't get me started on that Oline. All I know is that Greg Roman needs to go. How sad is it that we can only say ONE person did good today on offense (Williams).

Sorry if Im rambling and not making sense cuz ranting on my iPhone lol

who are we to say smith made a bad throw? we all know he isnt the kind of guy to point fingers. for all we know the throws have all been right on the moiney....the crap receivers may have been on the wrong side of the field lol. i do agree. we need timing. i see us becomeing an eleite offence right around week two of the playoffs.
Originally posted by bleeds9ersredandgold:
agreed totally! great post!

holly sheeeit! i got my first complament! you the man!

Originally posted by Afrikan:
every pass alex throws is catchable. no excuse for any drops.

ok
Sign Reggie Wayne
Originally posted by hofer36:

He also let Skelton have all that time to throw to find open targets, Alex is the suxorz!
FUUUUUUUUG!
perfect pass to VD and another to Crabs that were both long passes near the goaline and opps 2 more drops?

As much as Alex has an accuracy probelm at times, the drops are at least as big a problem.

We have a td already if either one of those guys make the stinking catch.

Maybe Alex should have put reverse spin on the ball to make it easier to catch, eh?
Share 49ersWebzone