Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by susweel:
LMFAO at haters blaming Smith for the receivers dropping passes

Not blaming him at all.

Seems to be getting plenty of blame. He put the ball where it needed to be while under duress pretty much the entire game and yet once again his s**t receivers can't make a damn play. Need an example? The DWalker drop, Walker was WIDE OPEN and could have easily made the first down and he drops it.

Drops are drops there is no way around it.

No way around it? How about catching it? Why is it every year our receivers seem to lead the league in dropped passes? It's not like Alex Smith is throwing uncatchable passes, these are legitimately catchable passes that are just flat out being dropped. Our receivers SUCK!

some guys are hand catchers and some guys arent, simple as that, its very tough to learn how to catch
JoeCool- in the same game... Romo completely missed a WIDE open Miles Austin to win the game. If Alex did that and cost us the game, everyone here would be killing him lol.
Originally posted by crabman82:

Not blaming him at all.

Seems to be getting plenty of blame. He put the ball where it needed to be while under duress pretty much the entire game and yet once again his s**t receivers can't make a damn play. Need an example? The DWalker drop, Walker was WIDE OPEN and could have easily made the first down and he drops it.

No way around it? How about catching it? Why is it every year our receivers seem to lead the league in dropped passes? It's not like Alex Smith is throwing uncatchable passes, these are legitimately catchable passes that are just flat out being dropped. Our receivers SUCK!

some guys are hand catchers and some guys arent, simple as that, its very tough to learn how to catch

These guys are professional's, catching should be second nature by now...if they cant do it they shouldn't be on the field
It's too much of a coincidence for all these receivers to drop balls like this. There is no doubt that there may seem to be many catchable balls but a big issue is the rhythm and timing. Crabtree has improved. I'm sorry but that receivers coach needs to go. There is just too many things wrong with our offense it'll take me all day. but make no mistake about it, Alex made a lot of poor throws and still frustrates me because he was not playing a good leadership role today. And don't get me started on that Oline. All I know is that Greg Roman needs to go. How sad is it that we can only say ONE person did good today on offense (Williams).

Sorry if Im rambling and not making sense cuz ranting on my iPhone lol
Originally posted by jreff22:

Not blaming him at all.

These guys are professional's, catching should be second nature by now...if they cant do it they shouldn't be on the field

lots of guys have poor hands throughout the league, very few sure handed wr's these days, ya they're pro's, but if your not a natural pass catcher (with the hands), its tough to become one, i'm sure these guys work on it, but i'm a firm believer that if u have a case of the yips (for a lack of a better phrase) u will always have the yips and its just a matter of how often it will rear its ugly head
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sadly, Skelton threw some nice balls to Fitz where he could get it and make a play.

Our guy looked rattled, threw inaccurate passes and didn't make the play when it counted. Sounds about right. His true colors come out under duress.

That thought crossed my mind as well, but I don't think it's entirely fair. There have been several games were Smith easily could have reverted to previous form, but he's managed to keep it together--even throughout all four quarters of the Baltimore Turkey Shoot. I'll give him that.

But there's no denying that he had a 2010 type game today. I'm still nervously waiting for the clock to strike midnight, but I don't think that happened today. Time will tell, I guess.

he did keep it together, even under a strong cards rush....on the 4th down conversion oin 1st quarter her moved in the pocket and found an open receiver...he got the ball to walker throwing accross field, though walker dropped what would have at least been a 1st down....on the last play he kept the play alive under a heavy rush and almost puleed a rabbit out of his hat on the pass to hunter

i cant think of one pass that smith made that cost the niners the game i.e. no picks or missed big plays (the ginn deep pass not applicable here as ginn did not make a play on the ball)...dont get me wtrong, smith was not great but he wasnt the big problem from what i saw

i think the play calling could have been better pppp roman seems to have been listening to the press/ fans to much, imo as I think they are throwing downfield too much....get back to the emphasis on the run game that got the niners there.....they should have run on 3rd and 1 on last drive and picked up the 1st down....they would be near midefield with 2 minutes left

but dont despair fellow niners fans--this problems can be fixed....the niners still lead by 1 game over saints...and they get the steelers at home, and maybe this loss motivates to play harder/better vs steelers

Not blaming him at all.

lots of guys have poor hands throughout the league, very few sure handed wr's these days, ya they're pro's, but if your not a natural pass catcher (with the hands), its tough to become one, i'm sure these guys work on it, but i'm a firm believer that if u have a case of the yips (for a lack of a better phrase) u will always have the yips and its just a matter of how often it will rear its ugly head

I'm not a GM but I wouldn't draft/sign one WR who has poor hands. If you suck at the focal point of your job you shouldn't be doing it.
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still think its funny that no one notices that our receivers only get the ball when they are wide open. After the corner route to Ginn in the red zone, Alex stare right at Ginn running an out and didn't let it rip. Ginn was open.

The more we pass the worse we get but I still wonder why Alex has mainly thrown to only receivers open by a yard or more. People who watch the coaches film point out throws Alex does not attempt that would be completions by better QBs.

what you say is the key to the whole offense.
Originally posted by Method:
JoeCool- in the same game... Romo completely missed a WIDE open Miles Austin to win the game. If Alex did that and cost us the game, everyone here would be killing him lol.

Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still think its funny that no one notices that our receivers only get the ball when they are wide open. After the corner route to Ginn in the red zone, Alex stare right at Ginn running an out and didn't let it rip. Ginn was open.

The more we pass the worse we get but I still wonder why Alex has mainly thrown to only receivers open by a yard or more. People who watch the coaches film point out throws Alex does not attempt that would be completions by better QBs.

what you say is the key to the whole offense.

niners lead league in turnover differential, a big reason why they are 10-3....i wouldnt mess with the formula

Not blaming him at all.

These guys get paid to catch passes, they shouldn't have bad hands..or bad hands.

Not blaming him at all.

I'm not a GM but I wouldn't draft/sign one WR who has poor hands. If you suck at the focal point of your job you shouldn't be doing it.

guys with poor hands and lots of skill can often have long careers, see TO

Tony Romo threw 4 touchdown passes.
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
serioulsy... smith is hit or miss. but think about this. football is a game of momentum. any one else notice that smith drops dimes on our wr's and they drop sure td.s? this changes the momentum and our whole team takes a dump. starting with the oline. if not for the momentum breaking drops and td s called back smith would be a top 5 qb right now.

agreed totally! great post!
  • hps49
  • Veteran

THIS!
Originally posted by 80sbaby24:
Tony Romo threw 4 touchdown passes.

So what? Alex threw a touchdown or two too but they were dropped. This league is about how you finish.

Tebow mania isn't about his stats. We lost the game because Alex didn't win it, but at least he threw a ball that was catchable. Romo completely overthrew his man, lol
Share 49ersWebzone