LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 272 users in the forums

catchable balls

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Joecool:
I still think its funny that no one notices that our receivers only get the ball when they are wide open. After the corner route to Ginn in the red zone, Alex stare right at Ginn running an out and didn't let it rip. Ginn was open.

The more we pass the worse we get but I still wonder why Alex has mainly thrown to only receivers open by a yard or more. People who watch the coaches film point out throws Alex does not attempt that would be completions by better QBs.

he had numerous passes today in tight (was to tight for my liking) coverage and double coverage as well
Originally posted by crabman82:
we have guys who arent natural pass catchers, VD isnt, ginn isnt, braylon isnt walker drops balls, crabtree could be sure handed but has dropped some too, combine that with a qb who is hit or miss on accuracy and it leads to my coffee table taking a beating each sunday

serioulsy... smith is hit or miss. but think about this. football is a game of momentum. any one else notice that smith drops dimes on our wr's and they drop sure td.s? this changes the momentum and our whole team takes a dump. starting with the oline. if not for the momentum breaking drops and td s called back smith would be a top 5 qb right now.
Originally posted by aMikeNolanGuy:
Want to catch my balls?

only if your lined up in the big nickel
Originally posted by aMikeNolanGuy:
Want to catch my balls?

only if your lined up in the big nickel

You're just going to have to fix my tight end baby.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by eastie:
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Sadly, Skelton threw some nice balls to Fitz where he could get it and make a play.

Our guy looked rattled, threw inaccurate passes and didn't make the play when it counted. Sounds about right. His true colors come out under duress.

Just stop, please. He's been making the plays all season long. He's missed many opportunities, and readily admits it too. True colors, my ass!

What? He didn't looked rattled to you, TODAY? And he didn't looked rattled to you against the Ravens? He looked rattled against Dallas and the Lions. Do you see the trend? Teams with ferocious front 7 effect his and the passing game.

Each of those games he made a stupid interception and didn't have a great game. He was able to pull it together in the Lions game with the assistance of his teammate, and as usual, ST and Defense. Today, he wasn't able to make the play when we needed it all game long.

your an idiot. he made THE play serveral times. the ball was dropped. go back to the raider forums.
Originally posted by jreff22:
I still think its funny that no one notices that our receivers only get the ball when they are wide open. After the corner route to Ginn in the red zone, Alex stare right at Ginn running an out and didn't let it rip. Ginn was open.

The more we pass the worse we get but I still wonder why Alex has mainly thrown to only receivers open by a yard or more. People who watch the coaches film point out throws Alex does not attempt that would be completions by better QBs.

he had numerous passes today in tight (was to tight for my liking) coverage and double coverage as well

I have yet to see him make some tight throws game in game out. We were very good when he threw 24 times a game because we would effectively set up the pass with our run and catch defenses with open throws. He more we pass, the less the play design will get open routes because we don't play off the run. Those are the times when Smith will need to do more.

There were key drops but Eli today delt with a HUGE drop by Manningham and then drilled a perfect tight 20+ strike to their TE for the TD the very next play.
Originally posted by Humboldt9er:
we have guys who arent natural pass catchers, VD isnt, ginn isnt, braylon isnt walker drops balls, crabtree could be sure handed but has dropped some too, combine that with a qb who is hit or miss on accuracy and it leads to my coffee table taking a beating each sunday

serioulsy... smith is hit or miss. but think about this. football is a game of momentum. any one else notice that smith drops dimes on our wr's and they drop sure td.s? this changes the momentum and our whole team takes a dump. starting with the oline. if not for the momentum breaking drops and td s called back smith would be a top 5 qb right now.

smith isnt awesome with his accuracy so when he does drop a dime, these guys gotta catch it, but they usually dont, or they do and dont get 2 feet in etc. team has a hard time finishing plays sometimes
LMFAO at haters blaming Smith for the receivers dropping passes
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by backontop:

Not blaming him at all.
Originally posted by susweel:

Not blaming him at all.

Seems to be getting plenty of blame. He put the ball where it needed to be while under duress pretty much the entire game and yet once again his s**t receivers can't make a damn play. Need an example? The DWalker drop, Walker was WIDE OPEN and could have easily made the first down and he drops it.

• susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Not blaming him at all.

Seems to be getting plenty of blame. He put the ball where it needed to be while under duress pretty much the entire game and yet once again his s**t receivers can't make a damn play. Need an example? The DWalker drop, Walker was WIDE OPEN and could have easily made the first down and he drops it.

Drops are drops there is no way around it.

I have yet to see him make some tight throws game in game out. We were very good when he threw 24 times a game because we would effectively set up the pass with our run and catch defenses with open throws. He more we pass, the less the play design will get open routes because we don't play off the run. Those are the times when Smith will need to do more.

There were key drops but Eli today delt with a HUGE drop by Manningham and then drilled a perfect tight 20+ strike to their TE for the TD the very next play.

I didn't watch the NY game so I cant comment on it.

Joe I agree with everything you said, I don't claim Alex to be perfect nor do I expect him to be. He made some off target throws today that were ugly, it happens but I would like to see it happen less every week. I blame the play calling today more then I blame the players, it was bad...probably the worst this year. But you have to admit that we are sorely lacking in WR skill. Dropped balls will happen, but we keep dropping balls that are game changing every damn week. You cant expect perfect consistency from Alex when he isn't getting it from the WR's. Edwards and Ginn are good for 4-6 dropped passes every week that are catchable. And every time Edwards goes in we are taking away from Williams who has (IMO) pushed himself to be the #2 WR. When healthy and on the same page Edwards can be good, right now I don't think he is healthy and we know he is not on the same page with Alex.

We are not dangerous enough on all fronts of the O to not out scheme the D.
I wanted a CB in the first and have been screaming for one for 2 years, I have changed my tune...I want a 6'3+ sure handed WR.

Well we got Braylon Edw......... wait a minute.

Not blaming him at all.

Drops are drops there is no way around it.

No way around it? How about catching it? Why is it every year our receivers seem to lead the league in dropped passes? It's not like Alex Smith is throwing uncatchable passes, these are legitimately catchable passes that are just flat out being dropped. Our receivers SUCK!
Originally posted by gavindirishmen:
I wanted a CB in the first and have been screaming for one for 2 years, I have changed my tune...I want a 6'3+ sure handed WR.

Well we got Braylon Edw......... wait a minute.

exactly brother
Share 49ersWebzone