There are 136 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Levitt and Roman ASU head coach candidates?

Why is it always the 49ers who get raided? A common occurence even when we sucked, except now the stakes are much higher for us. We need to keep some continuity (beyond just JH), let us win a couple more rings before our staff gets gutted, please.
If that happens, maybe we'll get Norv back so at least Alex won't technically have another new OC
Its Harbaughs offense. We would be fine with out Roman. That said I would still like him to stay
Here we go again What is it about the 49ers that everytime we have a good season our coaching staff gets raided. But I doubt Greg Roman goes to ASU. I can see Levitt. But I don't want any of our coaches leave. Its about time we had some coaching consistency for a change.
I doubt either will leave to ASU...

ASU won't hite Levitt because its athletics dept is already on probation due to the baseball program, meaning any hire has to have a very clean background otherwise NCAA will tear down the entire athletics department. Levitt got in trouble for hitting a player the led to him being fired.

Greg Roman has not been mentioned in any ASU article on their search other than Maiocco's article, so I doubt there is any truth to it.
[ Edited by SunDevilNiner79 on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:14 PM ]
Originally posted by SportsFan:
Seriously, if we lose Roman I am going to f**king lose my mind. How many times would Alex have to go through this. It would be like Turner all over again.

Even if Roman goes, Its Harbaugh offense, unlike with previous departures he could be replaced. Nolan and Sing had no clue about offensive football.
Roman is not head coach material I'm not sure about Levitt.
I doubt we lose Roman or Fangio anytime soon.

This is a team set up to win for the next ten years, they'll be here for a few of those years i'm sure
Got to keep Roman. Make sure we pay all our coaches in the upper percent of the league. This is not money wasted, it's money invested. It's a cornerstone of Dynasty II (that is what I'm going to call it!)

Look at Roman's bio, he is a football maven. Played DL in small school, NFL coach on both sides of the ball. Obviously a lot of genius in there. Now I'm going to have to speculate a bit, because I'm not a beat writer or in the org or know really these guys at all. Just another fan, like all us here.

But Roman, he is in his early 40s I think. Sure somebody could try to headhunt him too early, but if he's smart -- assuming he even has the personality to be a head coach, and not everybody does, not everybody wants that limelight and pressure and the distractions -- he would be wiser to stick with the 49ers in Dynasty II and get some playoff wins and championships under his belt, keep doing what he is doing with Harbaugh. Then if he gets tired of the NFL grind, some family commitments, well then with some credentials you get into a nice stable college program as HC. Maybe Stanford, or back in Ohio. THEN 10 years from now, decide if you want to HC in the NFL.

I think owners make horrible decisions when they give hotshot coordinators HC jobs, for every John Gruden there are 10 Josh McDaniels. Look at how poorly Spagnuolo and Whisenhunt are doing, neither of them had head coach experience on any level (that I know of), and now they are floundering. Singletary another obvious example of someone with no head coaching experience.

Being a head coach is not just X's and O's, it's being a leader. Harbaugh and Singletary are leaders, inspiring guys who connect with their players. But another big part of being a leader is surrounding yourself with excellent, loyal coordinators and coaches. Singletary failed in that, in a massive way, on offense. The Raye-Gun? St. Louis also seems to have horrible coordinators - Josh McDaniels? He lined up Steven Jackson as a wideout? I don't know much about AZ coordinators, but I doubt they are the cohesive team like Harbaugh has.

Harbaugh excels at this. Could Roman or any of our other guys at this early, pre-Dynastic stage, really expect to go to some horrible team and surround themselves with leaders? No. So the smart move should be think long-term, think dynasty, think championships.

THEN think about a change.
  • Sman
If Levitt does leave we should hire Singleterry as Linbackers coach
Originally posted by Sman:

Never this.
  • Sman
Originally posted by verb1der:
Originally posted by Sman:

Never this.

Jim Harbaugh is renowned for putting together great staffs.. I'm not worried about anyone leaving... I'm only dreading the day Harbaugh retires...
If Roman goes, we will promote from within, probably the QB coach with JH there to assist and modify the game plan as necessary.
Who cares. We got Harbaugh!!!!!!!