LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 293 users in the forums

What a difference a season makes: The QB Position suddenly looks bright.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by GhostofJimmyDean:
Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing. I don't agree with pulling Smith and installing Kaepernick, by the way. That kid is raw and nowhere near ready. I do think however that Smith is just as much at fault for this loss as Roman, the O-line, Ginn, etc. All it takes is a few hard hits and his pocket awareness goes to sh*t and he starts hopping around like he's the Easter Bunny which only makes things worse. Unfortunately there is nothing about him that suggests he's ever going to be above average. That door closed shut long before Harbaugh came aboard.

If I were Trent Balke, I think I'd do three years maximum for an extension. with the third being an option. If Smith was to re-sign, do you think there's a possibility of him being traded, or just straight up waived (which I think is contingent upon his return, and continued progress).
Originally posted by lssanjose:
If I were Trent Balke, I think I'd do three years maximum for an extension. with the third being an option. If Smith was to re-sign, do you think there's a possibility of him being traded, or just straight up waived (which I think is contingent upon his return, and continued progress).

Unless a team is desperate for a starting QB with experience, I don't see Alex being traded. He has value as a backup. I think by the time Kap or Tolzien are ready Smith will willingly take a back seat. He has a good relationship with Harbaugh and to his credit is a consummate professional and team player.
Originally posted by WillistheWall:
305s post about VY not having the talent Alex has around him is such a joke. VY played with Lendale when he was good, a pro bowl OLine, Chris Johnson, Kenny Britt(during his rookie year), etc. Plus on a team with elite defenses every year.

And I love how the last 2 pages include a bunch of posts from people who have shut the hell up during the majority of the season, then come out after one bad game and start acting like this is how it's been all season and they've been here all season. Don't even like the 9ers, they are just a bunch of trolls who hate on the team and come out when the team loses or our QB plays badly.

Lendale was never really that good #1. He had one good season I believe that was it. Also I love how you talk about Kenny Brit and can't name his WR's when he won Rookie of the Year. 90% of the people couldn't name them because the Titans never had star WR's. Kenny Brit is good, but I would take Crabtree over him anyday. Smith has way more weapons at his disposal more than VY ever did.

If everything is perfect for Alex Smith he will win. This is the NFL everything is not going to be perfect all the time.

10-3 and locking up the division with five weeks left is just not enough. He should win every game and by at least 40 points just like Rodgers. Of course, unless the 9ers loose the rest of their games their record will be better than GBs last year...but that's not good enough! "A rookie would do better...because, even though we are smart enough not to say it anymore: We hate Alex Smith!"

At least you guys are consistent. Where have you been lately...you know, during the winning weeks?
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:25 AM ]
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Next year of course.

Alex Smith is a solid, above average quarterback. His style is to take what the defense gives him, minimize mistakes, and keep the chains moving. That is his STYLE of play. Nothing at all wrong with it. Some people think this is the best type of quarterback to win with.
IMO, I prefer a quarterback that makes more plays, yet throws more interceptions and makes more mistakes. I think the mistake free quarterback will win you a lot of regular season games, but when you play very good playoff types of teams, the play maker will always give you a chance.

The "elite" quarterback both minimizes mistakes AND makes a ton of plays. That is ideal, of course. Rogers, Brady, P Manning, Brees.

We have no idea how good Kaepernick will be at minimizing mistakes, but one thing is for sure, he WILL make plays. I think with a top defense like we have, I'd rather see, 4TD's 2Ints 300yrds, rather than 1TD 0Ints 200yrds. Interceptions change games, but so do passing TD's. Just my opinion. Some people prefer the mistake free player.

Very good post. Smith is just a game manager. You really can't expect much out of him on a consistent basis if you depend on him to make plays. You are right Game Manager QB's usually win regular season games, but they do win in the playoffs also. It typically works for one season and thats it though. Next season with film the opposing defenses typically key on them.
[ Edited by 305Niner on Dec 12, 2011 at 7:26 AM ]
Unless a team is desperate for a starting QB with experience, I don't see Alex being traded. He has value as a backup. I think by the time Kap or Tolzien are ready Smith will willingly take a back seat. He has a good relationship with Harbaugh and to his credit is a consummate professional and team player.

Yeah Smith definitely wont get traded. Harbaugh loves him too much. He is will be resigned. I just hope not for a long term deal. Harbaugh may like Smith but they didn't draft a QB that high for nothing. I like how Kaep is sitting and learning. He is really raw. He probably needs another season to sit, but I would like to see him get some action in the games so he can get a feel for the speed of the game. If we blew out teams like we should, I think he would have gotten some playing time by now.
Next year of course.

Alex Smith is a solid, above average quarterback. His style is to take what the defense gives him, minimize mistakes, and keep the chains moving. That is his STYLE of play. Nothing at all wrong with it. Some people think this is the best type of quarterback to win with.
IMO, I prefer a quarterback that makes more plays, yet throws more interceptions and makes more mistakes. I think the mistake free quarterback will win you a lot of regular season games, but when you play very good playoff types of teams, the play maker will always give you a chance.

The "elite" quarterback both minimizes mistakes AND makes a ton of plays. That is ideal, of course. Rogers, Brady, P Manning, Brees.

We have no idea how good Kaepernick will be at minimizing mistakes, but one thing is for sure, he WILL make plays. I think with a top defense like we have, I'd rather see, 4TD's 2Ints 300yrds, rather than 1TD 0Ints 200yrds. Interceptions change games, but so do passing TD's. Just my opinion. Some people prefer the mistake free player.

No interceptions, no fumbles, escaping under great pressure to throw catchable passes, at least two potential TD passes lost due to the receiver not finding the ball. Smith must be elite by your standards?
Originally posted by 305Niner:
Next year of course.

Very good post. Smith is just a game manager. You really can't expect much out of him on a consistent basis if you depend on him to make plays. You are right Game Manager QB's usually win regular season games, but they do win in the playoffs also. It typically works for one season and thats it though. Next season with film the opposing defenses typically key on them.

Good job other teams dont have any game tape on Smith, then. Um, wait a minute........
Originally posted by English:
Good job other teams dont have any game tape on Smith, then. Um, wait a minute........

Tommy Maddox and Kerry Collins= Alex Smith enough said. Next topic.

Tommy Maddox and Kerry Collins= Alex Smith enough said. Next topic.

Just pointing out the error in your previous post.

Yeah, that was pretty embarrassing. I don't agree with pulling Smith and installing Kaepernick, by the way. That kid is raw and nowhere near ready. I do think however that Smith is just as much at fault for this loss as Roman, the O-line, Ginn, etc. All it takes is a few hard hits and his pocket awareness goes to sh*t and he starts hopping around like he's the Easter Bunny which only makes things worse. Unfortunately there is nothing about him that suggests he's ever going to be above average. That door closed shut long before Harbaugh came aboard.

I definitely don't agree with putting Kaep in at all. He definitely is not ready. Our Defenses typically plays great and the running game is usually good. So I dont think we will tank alot of games. I still think we can beat Pittsburgh mainly because we are at home. If everything does not go perfect for Smith you know that you can't expect much. The team will be kind of pissed about this loss, so I expect everybody on all cyclinders for this game.

There is no error you just do not comprehend well. The defenses are seeing something new with Smith this year. Its not like the previous seasons. The schemes are WAY more sophisticated. The formations we run its hard to tell if we are going to run or pass. After a full season they will be able to break down. Same thing happened with Maddox and Collins. Also Kyle Orton who is another game manager.

There is no error you just do not comprehend well. The defenses are seeing something new with Smith this year. Its not like the previous seasons. The schemes are WAY more sophisticated. The formations we run its hard to tell if we are going to run or pass. After a full season they will be able to break down. Same thing happened with Maddox and Collins. Also Kyle Orton who is another game manager.

So Smith is better this year but can't get better next year? Uh huh...don't think you are thinking correctly here.

Check your In Box
Don't know why the love affair between the media, 49er webzoners and Smith. Fact is Smith has been a serviceable qb when coached up but he has never been able to convert 3rd downs consistently since he has been here. He is playing better this year only because Harbaugh and Company are using him differently. However, the defenses are catching up to the 49ers offense and its limitations. The holes aren't there for the running game anymore and opposing teams are on to those gimmick plays. Did you see Eli and Romo last night? No way Smith could move the ball down the field in the final minutes like those two quarterbacks. When defenses blitz, Eli and Romo got the ball out fast, even if it is on their back foot. Instead, Smith holds the ball too long and takes the sack.
Share 49ersWebzone