There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Niners vs Packers (in Lambeau for the NFC championship)

Niners vs Packers (in Lambeau for the NFC championship)

After reviewing the Green Bay game against the Giants, they got HELLA CALLS FOR THEM. I mean that touchdown by Jennings, he did not maintain the possession through out the catch and it was called a touchdown. I think the refs favor Green Bay and it will be IMPOSSIBLE to beat them in Green Bay.
I am hoping that how Green Bay has always seemed to have the 49ers number--even when we were the better team--that that turns around---and the 49ers are the team to have Green Bays #.

49ers 27 Packers 24!!
Originally posted by Chrs0049:
Originally posted by mug0mug:
Even though I've had faith in the Niners to make the playoffs all year, they have really impressed me (the D in particular), but after seeing how good the Packers were performing, I have been looking at them as our primary obstacle since a few weeks into the season. After the first few wins, I couldn't help but recall what brought me to hate the Packers; losing to them in multiple NFC championship games. (I'll throw in here that my roommate, who thinks he has visions and s**t, told me before the regular season started that he dreamt of the Niners, and Alex in particular, making it to, but losing in, the NFC championship game.) I think we win.

Sorry, you can't get something like that wrong. This might have been covered in one of the other 5 pages of this thread, but I don't care.
95: Divisional loss at home
96: Divisional loss at GB
97: NFC Championship loss at home
98: Catch II
01: NFC Wild Card loss at GB

I can practically recite the scores of each of those games. How do you not remember the round, the date, s**t, the WEATHER OUTSIDE when we lost to tards?

Well, my bad, but it felt like they were NFC championships because we were often the two best teams, but they knocked us out of the playoffs way too many times.

And to all the "jinxing it," comments and "we need to focus on the next game," comments, I don't believe in jinxes and guarantee you other people have already "jinxed" every possible outcome, including Packer fans, and it doesn't matter what "we" focus on. If the players were having this conversation, that would be a problem, but we're fans, this is the kind of crap we should be discussing and there is a very good chance we end up facing the Packers in the NFC Championship game @ Lambeau, so why not discuss it.

For all intents and purposes, we're 2 games ahead of the #3 Saints, so unless you expect us to lose half of our remaining games while NO goes undefeated, we have 1 game keeping us from the NFC championship matchup vs the Packers. I'd say it's a pretty likely scenario.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:16 AM ]
Call me crazy, I believe we can go in Lambeau and beat them. Our defense is so dominant. Mistake free football on offense and we are going to win our 6 Superbowl.
Originally posted by WINiner:
Just cause im not an endless homer doesn't mean I dont live and breath Niners football.

Poke fun at my admiration of Rodgers all yah want. Fact remains he is showing efficiency this season that is blowing the doors off the record books. You say the Packers havn't played a D like ours, well our D hasn't played an O like theirs.

We get the Packers in SF I like our chances. We have to play them in January in Lambeau and I don't. Simple as that, no reason to get disrespectful calling people Packer fans and such...friken ewww. Gimme the GD willies just thinking about it.

When an athlete is on a roll as Rodgers is they seem almost impervious to adversity! I've seen it in all sports but the reality is that confidence plays a huge part in their high degree of play and it just takes one big hit or pick to bring them down a bit. If the 9er D front 7 can get to Rodgers early in the game he will become a mere mortal. The key will be how our DBs do in ice! Their WRs will know where they are going and will have that advantage but if the 9er DBs can play loose and keep their footing it will be an interesting game.

I would not bet against Jim Harbaugh having a game plan that can work.
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
When an athlete is on a roll as Rodgers is they seem almost impervious to adversity! I've seen it in all sports but the reality is that confidence plays a huge part in their high degree of play and it just takes one big hit or pick to bring them down a bit. If the 9er D front 7 can get to Rodgers early in the game he will become a mere mortal. The key will be how our DBs do in ice! Their WRs will know where they are going and will have that advantage but if the 9er DBs can play loose and keep their footing it will be an interesting game.

I would not bet against Jim Harbaugh having a game plan that can work.

Well put. If we play our game, hit him good a few times, get a pick or two, limit passing lanes, and get constant pressure, I think their coaches begin to second guess. Based on what I've seem from Jim Harbaugh and company I have no reason to believe that the coaching staff will come up with a winning game plan. Listen, Aaron Rogers is elite and balling out of control right now. But that don't mean the Packers can't be beaten. He's good, not god. Aaron Rogers isn't part of the coaching staff and won't be calling plays. Aaron Rogers won't be playing defense, tackling Frank Gore and Kendall Hunter or covering Vernon Davis, M. Crabtree, or D. Walker. Aaron Rogers won't be trying to put a block on Aldon Smith, Patrick Willis, NaVorro Bowman, or Justin Smith. Aaron Rogers won't be on special teams trying to track down Ted Ginn, or trying to run away from Blake Costanzo, Larry Grant, and Colin Jones. I think too many people are making this into Aaron Rogers vs. the 49ers. My point is that Aaron Rogers playing lights out football, but that won't enough to beat 49ers.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Dec 7, 2011 at 8:21 AM ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by 49erfeeeever808:
I question your fanhood if you've never had to endure this full pain and your'e over 25 years old.

1/6/1996 Divisional Championship Game
Packers 27
49ers 17

10/14/1996 Regular Season
Packers 23 (OT)
49ers 20

1/4/1997 NFC Divisional Playoff Game
Packers 35
49ers 14

1/11/1998 NFC Championship Game
Packers 23
49ers 10

11/1/1998 Regular Season
Packers 36
49ers 22

1/3/1999 NFC Wild Card Game
Packers 27
49ers 30 The Catch II

11/29/1999 Regular Season
Packers 20
49ers 3

10/15/2000 Regular Season
Packers 31
49ers 28

1/13/2002 NFC Wildcard Game
Packers 25
49ers 15 (WE HAVE A NEW QB AND THEY STILL HAVE FAVRE)

12/15/2002 Regular Season
Packers 20
49ers 14

11/23/2003 Regular Season
Packers 20
49ers 10

12/10/2006 Regular Season
Packers 30
49ers 19 (why is Favre still here?)

11/22/2009 Regular Season (Rodgers)
Packers 30
49ers 24

12/5/2010 Regular Season (Rodgers again, now on his way to a Super Bowl)
Packers 34
49ers 16

So you're saying we are due for a win...

Those were the s**ts. But now we finally have a smarter and better coach than them. As good as the Packers are, they make more mistakes than we do.

we totally got jobbed on the '96 MNF game...beebe was f'n down by contact and the 02 regular season phantom PI calls all game and farve was over the line of scrimmage on one pass and they didn't call it.
This is such a strange year! Teams that looked like they were up and comers have faded, either due to injury (Rams) or overestimating (Rams). There are two teams who have consistently done well--GB and SF. Other teams have had good seasons over-all but have had horrendous losses to inferior teams--NO, Pitts, NE, Det, Jets and Baltimore.

So, this is a year where the 9ers have as good a chance as any and why not! The breaks will determine the winner of most playoff games, so GB getting calls would/does worry me!
  • Shemp
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
We all know what is likely to come. The undefeated Packers hosting the 49ers in the NFC championship game. That is the best and biggest game and matchup this season can provide at this point; better than any possible Super Bowl matchup. What do you think will happen and who do think will win?

I've had faith in the Niners to make the playoffs all year and after seeing how good the Packers were playing, have been looking at them as our obstacle since a few weeks into the season. After the first few wins, I couldn't help but recall and relate what brought me to hate the Packers; losing in multiple NFC championship games. (I'll throw in here that my roommate, who thinks he has visions and s**t, said before the regular season started that he dreamt of the Niners, and Alex in particular, making it to, but losing in, the NFC championship game.) I think we win.

How do you see the matchup? What will be the deciding factors? How does it play out? Who wins?

if they face the lions there is a good chance tehy will lose

the packers only took off and started scoring and moving the ball ater suh got ejected ( i actually expect lions to beat them)

as for your question if 49ers face the packers if we pressure rodgers we will win otherwise we dont stand a chance

our offense can put up 30 to 40 points a game when need be

we do a great job moving te ball up the field (we dont punt the ball much at all)

but we have to turn those FG into TDs

Originally posted by Rizvi49er:
we totally got jobbed on the '96 MNF game...beebe was f'n down by contact and the 02 regular season phantom PI calls all game and farve was over the line of scrimmage on one pass and they didn't call it.

the calls are what they are but let's face it, GB has OWNED us for 15 years. Our only win was the Catch II, and that play should have never happened because Rice fumbled the ball (which was a key play leading to the challenge system we now have).

Green Bay has a tremendous offense. Even if we win the time of possession battle 40:00 to 20:00 we will still need to put up 28 to win. We have scored that many points a handful of times this year but I don't like our chances. Which is to say if we lose in the NFC Championship Game, I will be very happy based upon the expectations for this team at the beginning of the season.
Originally posted by jreff22:
diddnt woodson get hurt?

Originally posted by GoldandGarnet:
This is true. I was just telling my dad this. ANY injury to GB's major players (Jennings, Mathews, Woodson, Finley, or their OL) especially Rodgers......dramatically changes our match-up. Their OL had issues last year, and look what Indy is without Manning. ONE key injury and we're going to the Superbowl.

ONE.

If anything can be proven is that the Packers are exceptional at overcoming injuries. They lost a lot of key guys last year yet won the Super Bowl. Finley and Woodson missed the Super Bowl. Right now the Packers are missing like 4-5 starters on defense and 3 starting OL. They are actually quite beat up right now. Seriously, they are missing 3 starting OL who have been replaced with very young inexperienced players. I agree about Rodgers and Matthews. An injury to either of those two would be devastating. But you can say the same thing about any team losing any of its Top 3 players.
Originally posted by 9ersLiferInChicago:
Ok, we disagree. They are good, but so are we. (Personally, I suspect you are a bigger Packer fan than 49er fan.) I have seen enough from both to firmly believe that personnel wise we match up pretty well. That isn't where a game between SF and GB would be won or lost to me. I think the team that forces good play on all phases - offence, defense, and special teams would win. (We hold a clear advantage on ST.) And the coaching staff that prepares and schemes best would win. They can play hurry-up all they want, Rogers can throw for 400 yards, but the question still remains: will they be able to score on this defense? I think not! Since the loss to the Dallas we haven't given up more than 23 points in one game, and no theam has done it since. Even in our loss we only gave up 16. In fact, as the season progresses it has become progressively harder for teams to score on us. I think this coaching staff all around is really getting better at scheming around the strengths of an all around tallented squad, and even better at making teams play mistake free football. In other words, the Packers team are going to have to beat the 49ers team on all three phases, and all their coaching staff is going to have to out coach ours. Thats why I like our chances in a would-be game against the Packers. I don't think they have a better team than we do. I will give you the Packers are better offensively (though we are more versatile). Beyond that I see nowhere in a 2011 49ers/GB matchup that would make me believe that we'd lose. No one man will beat this 49ers team, not even the god (to some) Aaron Rogers.

I don't know the 49ers haven't faced an offense that is even remotely close to Green Bay's. I think it would be a very good game to watch. One of those classic, "Something's gotta give" matchups. The thing is, contrary to popular belief, cold weather doesn't really favor defense and the running game very much. Pass blocking is much easier on a slick field because the rush doesn't get much push upfield. OL aren't as effective at drive blocking in those conditions. The route runners have the clear advantage over DBs because they know when they are going to make their breaks. Green Bay is used to playing in those conditions and from what I've seen, Rodgers isn't effected at all by cold weather. In fact his career stats are actually better in cold weather games than his career average. Again, cold weather doesn't favor the defense and run game like so many believe. I remember a blizzard game in which the Patriots demolished the Titans 59-0 a few years back. The Patriots were the soft finesse passing team and the Titans were the physical running team. Its difficult to run block and get a pass rush in those conditions. Its easy to pass block in those conditions.
Originally posted by Shaj:

There are some misconceptions about Green Bay's defense. Yes they are #31 in yards and passing yards but are #17 in PPG. Which is pretty much average. They also force a lot of turnovers. A couple of teams have put up 30+ points on them but its not like their defense is getting demolished every week. They lead the league in INTs by a mile and are stingy in the red zone. They made a very good Saints offense kick a lot of FGs in the season opener. Yes QBs are throwing for 300 yards against them but most of them are throwing multiple INTs as well. A classic example of letting the numbers fool you. That's a talented defense that forces a lot of mistakes and gets hits on QBs.
I have a question. do any of you football heads with a good memory remember the packers v niners game a couple years ago. my question is, is this the same packers team we almost beat a couple years ago but came up short. I have short term memory but I remember getting off to a slow start in the 1st half then opening it up in the second half and coming back but still coming up short. I wonder if better coaching can get us past the packers this time. The last couple years we have competed very very well with high powered offenses(colts, packers, saints & etc) & still we have absolutely no chance. If they're basically the same team with more experience but we're the same team with better coaching, then I'm very confident we can beat them. I wonder the same bout the saints too, I didn't see that game with my own eyes so I don't know bout the saint but I know we played them tough & to the end. Past meeting is where I get my boost of confidence in them. Jus wondering.
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
We all know what is likely to come. The undefeated Packers hosting the 49ers in the NFC championship game. That is the best and biggest game and matchup this season can provide at this point; better than any possible Super Bowl matchup. What do you think will happen and who do think will win?

I've had faith in the Niners to make the playoffs all year and after seeing how good the Packers were playing, have been looking at them as our obstacle since a few weeks into the season. After the first few wins, I couldn't help but recall and relate what brought me to hate the Packers; losing in multiple NFC championship games. (I'll throw in here that my roommate, who thinks he has visions and s**t, said before the regular season started that he dreamt of the Niners, and Alex in particular, making it to, but losing in, the NFC championship game.) I think we win.

How do you see the matchup? What will be the deciding factors? How does it play out? Who wins?

if they face the lions there is a good chance tehy will lose

the packers only took off and started scoring and moving the ball ater suh got ejected ( i actually expect lions to beat them)

as for your question if 49ers face the packers if we pressure rodgers we will win otherwise we dont stand a chance

our offense can put up 30 to 40 points a game when need be

we do a great job moving te ball up the field (we dont punt the ball much at all)

but we have to turn those FG into TDs

whats so funny

we are averaging 24 points a game as of now and a bulk of those RZ trips have led to FG

as roman said

when installing a new offense the last thing that clicks is the red zone offense

the no OTA and TC hurt us we are just getting to learn the end of the playbook and the RZ offense will only start to click int he new future is it so hard to believe that we can put up 30 to 40 points a game once our playbook is fully learned?

also remember the lack of offensive production we put up eraler this year we are doing much better now