LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 228 users in the forums

which niner offense was better, the 89 or 94 offense

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Let us compare: 89 team player is first followed by the 94 team player. The 89 team dominated all phases of the 94 team except for Tight End and that was also close. Joe Montana was FAR more efficient than Young in terms of ypa but Young had him on the TD's. 89 Rice and Taylor blew 94 Rice and Taylor out of the water. 89 Brent Jones was weaker, but not by much. Roger Craig performed better than Ricky in rushing but Ricky got the edge in receptions but not by much if you include yards per catch. Tom Rathman blew Floyd out of the water.

QB #1: Joe Montana (271 for 386, 3,521 yds, 9.1 ypa, 26 tds, 8 ints), Steve Young (324 for 461, 3969 yds, 8.6 ypa, 35 tds, 10 ints)

WR #1: Jerry Rice (82 rec, 1,483 yds, 18.1 ypc, 17 tds), Jerry Rice (112 rec, 1,499 yds, 13.3 ypc, 13tds)
WR #2: John Taylor (60 rec, 1,077 yds, 17.95 ypc, 10 tds), John Taylor (41 rec, 531 yds, 12.9 ypc, 5tds)

TE #1: Brent Jones (40 rec, 500 yds, 12.5 ypc, 4 tds), Brent Jones (49 rec, 670 yds, 13.6 ypc, 9 tds)

RB #1: Roger Craig (271 att, 1,054 yds, 3.89 ypc, 6 tds, 49 rec, 473 yds 9.6 ypc), Ricky Watters (239 att, 877 yds, 3.6 ypc, 6 tds, 66 rec, 719 yds, 10.8 ypc)

FB #1: Tom Rathman (79 att, 305 yds, 3.85 ypc, 1 td, 73 rec, 616 yds, 8.6 ypc), William Floyd (87 att, 305 yds, 3.5 ypc, 19 rec, 145 yds, 7.6 ypc)
Originally posted by 9ermex:
The 1990 team would beat both those teams, it was a damn fluke we lost that game against the Giants (worst loss ever)
Without a doubt worst loss ever for me. Late eighty teams were the best imo!
the 94 Offense was WICKED

Young
Waters
Floyd
Taylor
Rice
Jones
Mcaffrey

and that O-Line was Lights out ..Wallace, Sapulo, Oates, Deese, Barton
The 89 team was just a hair before my time, but I was balls-deep in that 94 squad and they were a gas to watch. I remember one press conference when Young was on the podium and some media-stooge asked him to comment on the fact that he'd thrown something like 28 TDs and only 2 interceptions. He thought for a second and without missing a beat said "sorry for the interceptions".

Love that guy.
Originally posted by Mankster:
89 Niners - 14-2 (with the most dominant playoff performance in NFL history, outscoring opponents 126-26 and winning their fourth Super Bowl victory)
94 Niners - 13-3 (with a loss at the hands of little known fellow who was the QB for the 89 Niners)
The 1990 team would beat both those teams, it was a damn fluke we lost that game against the Giants (worst loss ever)

Yeah that loss SUCKEDDDD........but again, as bad as that fumble was, are we guaranteed a win if he doesn't?? That game was just freaky with the Giants luck. It really felt as if they were meant to win.

I watched the NFL network Top ten gutsiest calls and #5 was the fake punt with 8 or 9 minutes left in the game. That got them another FG that got the game to 13-12. By the looks of it it really seemed as if they needed that play more than ever and 21 years later I've seen it in a new perspective.

Also, are we sure 100% we 3 peat against Buffalo? Steve Young at QB instead of Joe......it's certainly possible of course but is it guaranteed even with the hindsight of how the Bills turned up in SBs? ;)

Originally posted by Joecool:
Let us compare: 89 team player is first followed by the 94 team player. The 89 team dominated all phases of the 94 team except for Tight End and that was also close. Joe Montana was FAR more efficient than Young in terms of ypa but Young had him on the TD's. 89 Rice and Taylor blew 94 Rice and Taylor out of the water. 89 Brent Jones was weaker, but not by much. Roger Craig performed better than Ricky in rushing but Ricky got the edge in receptions but not by much if you include yards per catch. Tom Rathman blew Floyd out of the water.

QB #1: Joe Montana (271 for 386, 3,521 yds, 9.1 ypa, 26 tds, 8 ints), Steve Young (324 for 461, 3969 yds, 8.6 ypa, 35 tds, 10 ints)

WR #1: Jerry Rice (82 rec, 1,483 yds, 18.1 ypc, 17 tds), Jerry Rice (112 rec, 1,499 yds, 13.3 ypc, 13tds)
WR #2: John Taylor (60 rec, 1,077 yds, 17.95 ypc, 10 tds), John Taylor (41 rec, 531 yds, 12.9 ypc, 5tds)

TE #1: Brent Jones (40 rec, 500 yds, 12.5 ypc, 4 tds), Brent Jones (49 rec, 670 yds, 13.6 ypc, 9 tds)

RB #1: Roger Craig (271 att, 1,054 yds, 3.89 ypc, 6 tds, 49 rec, 473 yds 9.6 ypc), Ricky Watters (239 att, 877 yds, 3.6 ypc, 6 tds, 66 rec, 719 yds, 10.8 ypc)

FB #1: Tom Rathman (79 att, 305 yds, 3.85 ypc, 1 td, 73 rec, 616 yds, 8.6 ypc), William Floyd (87 att, 305 yds, 3.5 ypc, 19 rec, 145 yds, 7.6 ypc)

This was what I was thinking all along. The '89 team had basically the same receiving corps but healthier and more explosive especially regarding JT, and as his "biggest fan" I would know, hehe. It was frustrating seeing him struggle in the '94 season....only two catches over 30 yards all year, although a huge one on 3rd down to beat Dallas in regular season.

I feel the Craig/Rathman combo was more dominant overall. Maybe not as explosive in receiving but better in rushing.....more balanced.

In watching the '94 team at it's peak I think it was the most dominant offense I've seen against weak to pretty good defenses. There was a timing and cadence with Young and his players were I felt the offense really was unstoppable. I always said that Young at his best was more efficient and dominant than Joe, however...

When things get out of whack is when the real best of the best turn up. And this is where the Montana led teams in his prime will always be special to niner fans.....you could count on the impossible and usually get it. I have no doubts whatsoever that the '89 49er team could handle and smash any of the Cowboy teams to pieces.

As far as the '94 Niners vs Cowboys.....in all objective honesty, despite two wins that year against them I can't say we really were a whole lot better. In the first game for instance we struggled to get the points. We beat them in a battle of attrition and take them down.

In the champ game we slayed them with three turnovers and 21 points real fast but only win the game by 10 points. The Dallas comeback effort was heroic and I wonder how the game would have turned out if they didn't cough it up that easily. I still think we win, but a tough battle.

Anyways, '89 all time. I really need to watch these '84 games because some people claim that's the best all time Niner team. On some level I'd have to agree but hard to call a best Niner offense without Rice and Taylor.

BTW, '90 team had wonderful defense but no running game. As bad as the Craig fumble was, worse was probably the ineffectiveness of his running game that year. We were basically like the Packers this year, beating teams because of Joe Montana but once a sick D showed up, the struggles showed. 7-3 win in regular season, 13-15 loss post season against the Giants, a team that had a great defense and Bill Belichick running it.
[ Edited by JTsBiggestFan on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:58 PM ]
Originally posted by JTsBiggestFan:
Originally posted by PA49ersfan:

Yeah that loss SUCKEDDDD........but again, as bad as that fumble was, are we guaranteed a win if he doesn't?? That game was just freaky with the Giants luck. It really felt as if they were meant to win.

I watched the NFL network Top ten gutsiest calls and #5 was the fake punt with 8 or 9 minutes left in the game. That got them another FG that got the game to 13-12. By the looks of it it really seemed as if they needed that play more than ever and 21 years later I've seen it in a new perspective.

Also, are we sure 100% we 3 peat against Buffalo? Steve Young at QB instead of Joe......it's certainly possible of course but is it guaranteed even with the hindsight of how the Bills turned up in SBs? ;)

This was what I was thinking all along. The '89 team had basically the same receiving corps but healthier and more explosive especially regarding JT, and as his "biggest fan" I would know, hehe. It was frustrating seeing him struggle in the '94 season....only two catches over 30 yards all year, although a huge one on 3rd down to beat Dallas in regular season.

I feel the Craig/Rathman combo was more dominant overall. Maybe not as explosive in receiving but better in rushing.....more balanced.

In watching the '94 team at it's peak I think it was the most dominant offense I've seen against weak to pretty good defenses. There was a timing and cadence with Young and his players were I felt the offense really was unstoppable. I always said that Young at his best was more efficient and dominant than Joe, however...

When things get out of whack is when the real best of the best turn up. And this is where the Montana led teams in his prime will always be special to niner fans.....you could count on the impossible and usually get it. I have no doubts whatsoever that the '89 49er team could handle and smash any of the Cowboy teams to pieces.

As far as the '94 Niners vs Cowboys.....in all objective honesty, despite two wins that year against them I can't say we really were a whole lot better. In the first game for instance we struggled to get the points. We beat them in a battle of attrition and take them down.

In the champ game we slayed them with three turnovers and 21 points real fast but only win the game by 10 points. The Dallas comeback effort was heroic and I wonder how the game would have turned out if they didn't cough it up that easily. I still think we win, but a tough battle.

Anyways, '89 all time. I really need to watch these '84 games because some people claim that's the best all time Niner team. On some level I'd have to agree but hard to call a best Niner offense without Rice and Taylor.

BTW, '90 team had wonderful defense but no running game. As bad as the Craig fumble was, worse was probably the ineffectiveness of his running game that year. We were basically like the Packers this year, beating teams because of Joe Montana but once a sick D showed up, the struggles showed. 7-3 win in regular season, 13-15 loss post season against the Giants, a team that had a great defense and Bill Belichick running it.

Craig and rathman had 128 catches to waters and Floyds 85. Craig also avernearly more yards per carry as waters. That 89 backfield blew the 94 backfield out of the water.
[ Edited by Joecool on Dec 6, 2011 at 9:05 PM ]
89!

94 team primarily won the NFC championship. Because of a defensive player and once he left could no longer do it.

The 89 team only didn't three peat because Craig fumbled.

This
Geez, if I was in Vegas, I wouldn't bet on this fantasy NFL match-up. It's like splitting hairs, its just too close to call. However, I would root for the 1994 49ers, simply because I liked their swagger more!
Lott would have taken Watters out of the game.

Michael Walter destroyed, not just owned the middle.

Griffin gets a pick.

Montana teaches Young again.

Rathman, has at least one touchdown while beating the defense into a sorry pulp as usual.

Craig could put up twice his numbers and be 2000 yards past Gore right now, every day if not for having three hall of famers for Montana to throw to as usual.

If Craig had the ball half the carries of Gore he is off the charts.

End of story.

I am glad you are proud of your years young ones, but don't try to compare.

The best team I ever saw was the 1997 team.

I saw the 94 team but I did not understand nor appreciate what they had to offer.
Who knows? Brodie to Washington in the final minute and its over!

YA Tittle to Brent Jones, Roger Craig, John Taylor, and Jerry Rice?

Please.

We are comparing wonders to wonders.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
The best team I ever saw was the 1997 team.

I saw the 94 team but I did not understand nor appreciate what they had to offer.

Yes fun huh !

They were pretty good too!
The answer is the offense with Joe Montana.
'89 by a little bit I'd say. I may be off here, as I was only 4 in '89 so I don't remember quite as accutely as '94, but we had quite a few more defensive touchdowns inflating our scores in '94.
Share 49ersWebzone