LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 294 users in the forums

Playoff Scenarios

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We are in danger of having a formula of things to happen in order to get into the playoffs the way it's going.
can someone explain WTF happened to our coaching staff this year? The prior two years I felt niners were one of the sharpest coached teams and it showed in game outcomes. This year.... we burn timeouts .... cannot get plays in ..... struggle to make adjustments.... challenge plays that clearly violate the rules.. etc etc

I'm perplexed how this 180 degree turn happened.
this isn't a playoff team imo

way too much pressure on the defense to keep em competitive in games, offense is anemic
Originally posted by Ballistic:

way too much pressure on the defense to keep em competitive in games, offense is anemic

playoffs would be so frustrating because we cannot sustain any offense and at this point have trouble getting a play in and snapped in time!
Let's face it, were all talking about "what-if's."

If Russell gets injured, IMO, the Hawks are done. Same thing w/Saints, Panthers, Cowboys. All teams are 1-2 injuries away from being much less than they are right now. There are many other scenarios that could play out.

No way in hell Roman gets the boot - until the season ends. Same w/ Morton. As much as I think the majority of our problems are those 2 - JH is in charge and it's on him.

Right now our future is not only in our hands - many other scenarios will be played out.

For sure, we MUST start playing better on offense otherwise we won't get far.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
I know I know, we shouldn't even be talking about it with this 2 game losing streak.

but still looking at it...wow...most of the other teams that are close will be playing each other. The Bears have a tough schedule...have 4 road games, and 2 home games, which are against the Cowboys and Packers last game of the season when Rodgers should be back.

Cards might be trouble for us....they are playing the Eagles this week.

Wrong. AZ plays Andrew Luck and the Colts.

Time to show the steel in the spine ....
Cardinals had a chance to beat us. I am concerned about them. Kap and Roman better pick their s**t up.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sconniepanther:

playoffs would be so frustrating because we cannot sustain any offense and at this point have trouble getting a play in and snapped in time!
i still say if we can get into the playoffs , i think we could actually beat an nfc east team on the road in the first round. i also think the bears, if they win that division are a mirage with piss poor defense. i am upset but i am not giving up on the season,(despite the takeaway some people get from my posts!) it is just our wiggle room is pretty much gone. I think we could maybe lose one more game and still be right in the mix. but moving foward there is no way we could lose to people like the skins and bucs
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by pwillis52beasty:
Cardinals had a chance to beat us. I am concerned about them. Kap and Roman better pick their s**t up.

roman will not,, we keep saying that and i think we have to find ways to win in spite of romans presence within the team.
Originally posted by 951NINER:

thankx, fixed it...... Damn that is going to be a good game....in Arizona too.

• cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sconniepanther:

with how bad the team plays vs good teams, impotent coaching, injuries, aldons drama etc,, i think this is one of the only times where i would say it would be wonderful just to get to the playoffs and i do not care if we lose the first round.. given all that has taken place in the last weeks, just getting into post season would make me very very happy
Originally posted by ChazBoner:
suddenly, that last game of the season will be very important.

I think you're right...I think the Niners lose 2 of the next 3, then win a couple and go into the final game with both them and the Cards at 9-6, and the winner gets the #6 slot.
  • cciowa
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

I think you're right...I think the Niners lose 2 of the next 3, then win a couple and go into the final game with both them and the Cards at 9-6, and the winner gets the #6 slot.
i respectfully disagree with you,, i think we can not lose two games and still be in the mix one loss would be very very very tough,, two would be tragic in my opinion
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by 951NINER:

thankx, fixed it...... Damn that is going to be a good game....in Arizona too.

While Luck is the best young QB he has a s**tty offensive line. That's AZ advantage.

However Palmer is good for 2 picks a game.

Originally posted by cciowa:
Originally posted by DelCed2486:

i respectfully disagree with you,, i think we can not lose two games and still be in the mix one loss would be very very very tough,, two would be tragic in my opinion

You could well be right that in the NFC you could end up with a 10-6 team not making the playoffs...yet you might see a 10-6 or even 9-7 div winner in the NFC North, and a 9-7 or 8-8 in the NFC East. And because the NFC is quirky in that the arguably best 4-5 teams in the conference are in the NFC West and South, you'll end up with #3 and #4 seeds who will be flawed and very beatable, even on their home fields...point being not a terrible year to be a wildcard, especially if you're one that's hot at the end, not one of the teams that's fading and backs into the playoffs.

Anyway, as I posted in one of these threads yesterday, on this silver anniversary of the 1988 SB team, it is a somewhat interesting parallel in that that team also dropped 2 straight right about this time of the season, with the offense looking like total dogs*** in a 9-3 loss to the Raiders. They were 6-5, there were whispers of Walsh getting canned before the season ended, he was under pressure to bench Montana...but then things turned around when & where and vs whom? In a late-November MNF game vs the Redskins @ RFK...that would be pretty awesome if a similar turnaround happened the same way this season, although that '88 team didn't have the handicap of Roman as OC.
[ Edited by DelCed2486 on Nov 19, 2013 at 9:29 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone