LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 269 users in the forums

Playoff Scenarios

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jdt84_2:
yes, but i think it is bogus that the cardinals are out just because they are in the division with 2 of the best teams in the nfl.
but, it would be bogus if next year the nfc westbeat up on each other all year and all finished the year at 8-8 or 9-7 while going undefeated outside of the division and they all miss out because a team with 2 weak division opponents gives them 4 free wins.

i guess what i am saying is, i do not like it, but there is not a viable 2nd choice. unless they add 2 new teams.

That beating each other up scenario ... that was the NFCE last decade. This is why I like it the way it is
Originally posted by okdkid:
Here you go:

- If SF wins any one game, they're in.
- If SF wins twice, CAR and SEA lose, SF is the #1 seed
- If AZ loses to SF, AZ is out
- If AZ beats SF after SF already clinched, then AZ will need NO to lose.

To put it another way:
- AZ will need either SF to lose to ATL OR a NO loss next week to get in. They need help.
This is why I love the WZ. Thank You!
There's a playoff generator on espn.com. As others have alluded to, Arizona is out unless New Orleans loses, period. They have to get in due to superior record. Because they play in the NFC West, the toughest division in the league by far, they have more conference losses and have an inferior division record than the Niners and therefore lose a bunch of three way tiebreakers.

It's mind boggling to me that an 11-5 team can miss the playoffs. Combine that with the fact there might be an 8-7-1 team and a 9-7 team from the other two divisions.
[ Edited by ColorMeBaddFan on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:54 PM ]
Originally posted by ColorMeBaddFan:
There's a playoff generator on espn.com. As others have alluded to, Arizona is out unless New Orleans loses, period. They have to get in due to superior record. Because they play in the NFC West, the toughest division in the league by far, they have more conference losses and have an inferior division record than the Niners and therefore lose a bunch of three way tiebreakers.

It's mind boggling to me that an 11-5 team can miss the playoffs. Combine that with the fact there might be an 8-7-1 team and a 9-7 team from the other two divisions.

Same thing happened to the 2008 Patriots. they went 11-5 after Brady got hurt in the 1st game and they missed out because of tiebreakers while an 8-8 Chargers team won the AFC West that season. Every now and then that happens. And then also sometimes 8-8 is good enough to get you a wildcard slot like the 2006 GIANTS the year before they won it in 07'.
Originally posted by ColorMeBaddFan:

I feel like fappin for some reason
There is one more caveat to the Arizona is out unless New Orleans loses -- that assumes the Niners win tomorrow night. I simply can't imagine that happening. Atlanta could be the second worst team in football next to the Redskins and they're playing on the road on Monday Night when the Niners have dominated the last few seasons.
I'm predicting the Packers win the north, which means we'll be going to GB or Phi. I don't think Dallas will make it.

This is a little scary b/c Rodgers will be back. He scares me.
Yikes... right now 5th or 6th seed could be dangerous since both have to go on the road and right now at Philly isnt looking that great and neither is at Packers with Rodgers back. I think the best options would be at Lions (well they are out now), at Cowboys, at Bears, at Packers, at Philly. Either way sucks if we do get the 5th or 6th seed that we would have to go on the road despite being 3-4 games better than some of these teams. Well, last few years we got the bye and home field... that didn't work. Maybe we are better off earning it and doing it the hard way.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Dec 22, 2013 at 7:44 PM ]
Good to see the 12th man getting punched in the face today.

Hoping Dallas wins next week, that Philly offens will be a pain in the ass
Originally posted by FredFlintstone:
Hoping Dallas wins next week, that Philly offens will be a pain in the ass

Philadelphia gonna get the QB hurt with some of those protections.
thats better!!
Damn I really hope chicago wins division. I don't want to play the packers with rodgers back.
Share 49ersWebzone