LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 217 users in the forums

Kaps, Harbaugh, and the Kolb effect

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hi all! Long-time reader, first time poster. :)

Was just thinking about the inherent value that having a QB oriented coach could have. Reminds me of what Andy Reid has done in Philly in terms of grooming back-ups and marketing them so there is a genuine interest, and maybe an inflated value of what the young back-up's potential could be. Philly parlayed this into a nice trade. Granted, Vick's signing and development in Philly definitely help speed things up.

Wondering if Alex Smith works out long-term, we could potentially dangle someone like Kaps (maybe even Tolzien) after a few years of development and score with a nice player of need or high pick. Because a QB can potentially turn franchises around (or save head coaching jobs), we can get some inflated value there. Certainly hope Harbaugh continues his success grooming QBs. Hope to have some blow-outs in the future so we can start showcasing these QBs over time...
Get in the Delorean and then let me know...
I wonder which team would bite if they dangled Alex Smith in the off-season.
  • Jiks
Originally posted by verb1der:
I wonder which team would bite if they dangled Alex Smith in the off-season.

Hes a FA.
I sure hope we don't bite on A. Smith, I like the upside of Colin and if Alex can win the division anyone can under Harbaugh.
Originally posted by JiksJuicy:
Hes a FA.

Oh yeahhh
Originally posted by filthydogma:
I sure hope we don't bite on A. Smith, I like the upside of Colin and if Alex can win the division anyone can under Harbaugh.

Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah, cos what you really want to do after a decade of crud when you are finally getting it right is let your starting qb walk.
Originally posted by English:
Originally posted by jreff22:

Yeah, cos what you really want to do after a decade of crud when you are finally getting it right is let your starting qb walk.

Yeah I know that makes a ton of sense and everything right?
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Good, post Saint and welcome from a fellow poster. I agree with everything you said. If Alex is signed to a 3-5 year contract, look for Kap to move on when he is a restricted free agent. I think if Smith get's only a 3 year contract, Kap will stay.
[ Edited by mayo49 on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:55 AM ]

Originally posted by mayo49:
Good, post Saint and welcome from a fellow poster. I agree with everything you said. If Alex is signed to a 3-5 year contract. Look for Kap to move on when he is a restricted free agent. I think if Smith get's only a 3 year contract, Kap will stay.

Teams are going to be beating our door down to sign Kaep? Don't see it right now. Before the team structures Smith's next contract to suit Kaep, they have to be very sure that he is Smith's replacement. I imagine that decision is another year or so off.
I like how people dismiss Kaepernick and act like Alex Smith would be the better long-term option. Why? Because Alex went 1st overall? Kaepernick's physical attributes own Alex's, so how does anyone figure Harbaugh can't groom him the way he's been grooming Alex?

If anyone is seriously looking at what CK7 did in PRESEASON and thinking he wont be good based on that, all I can say is LOL @ you.
Originally posted by 49erRider:
I like how people dismiss Kaepernick and act like Alex Smith would be the better long-term option. Why? Because Alex went 1st overall? Kaepernick's physical attributes own Alex's, so how does anyone figure Harbaugh can't groom him the way he's been grooming Alex?

If anyone is seriously looking at what CK7 did in PRESEASON and thinking he wont be good based on that, all I can say is LOL @ you.

Your post is just full of assumptions. Nobody is saying Smith is the better long term option. But does it not make sense to see what we have before we let Smith walk? It will probably take at least another year for Harbaugh to get CK NFL ready, I guess.

And nobody except you is making any assumptions at all based on CKs pre-season. So LOL right back at you.

Right now Smith is playing well and we do not know if CK is an NFL starting qb or not, let alone if he will be better than Smith.
I prefer to wait and see as I don't think either is going anywhere for a few years.

Smith would be stupid to leave after finding some success, Kap is locked up.

I will say one thing, isn't it cool to be trying to decide who is the best QB and who we should keep? Much better than the usual who is our worst QB and what guy off the waiver wire should we get who would be an upgrade??? Not exactly the Young vs Montana debate, but a world apart from Hill vs Smith 1.0 vs O'Sullivan
I prefer to wait and see as I don't think either is going anywhere for a few years.

Smith would be stupid to leave after finding some success, Kap is locked up.

I will say one thing, isn't it cool to be trying to decide who is the best QB and who we should keep? Much better than the usual who is our worst QB and what guy off the waiver wire should we get who would be an upgrade??? Not exactly the Young vs Montana debate, but a world apart from Hill vs Smith 1.0 vs O'Sullivan
Share 49ersWebzone