There are 133 users in the forums

Soo umm who do you see NOT making it back with the Niners next season? Trade or Release?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Daddyt4949:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I might be the only one but I think Ted Ginn. With the way that Kyle Williams has played when given the chance you can tell that he is a better receiver than Ginn. The only thing that worries me is the return game, but didn't Williams do that at ASU and was pretty good at it iirc.

I think most people including myself like Ted Ginn and want him to be on included in the offense. The frustrating issue is he so inconsistent with his hands. He would give a fabulous catch like the one that was called back in the Ravens game. And even catches some good ones for nice gains. But then he drops some easy ones like the 4th down play against the Ravens. Or the tipped INT against the Giants.

Yeah Ginn is not a consistent enough receiever and we rarely ever use his speed to our advantage. Thats why I like Williams, he has caught everything thrown to him so far AND he has the speed to be a big play threat. I think a reciveing core going into next season of Williams, Crabtree, Morgan, and a #1 draft pick or FA I would feel safe with.

but check out what Ginn has done for our O on return duties alone. Hopefully, we keep him. We need him.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
I think your putting trade value way too high on Spencer and Rachal, either way I don't see them back, same with Norris.
  • dj43
Originally posted by Kolohe:
I think your putting trade value way too high on Spencer and Rachal, either way I don't see them back, same with Norris.

I'm surprised Spencer has not made it back into the starting lineup. When he has been healthy, he has played well. The only reason I can think of is that Harbaugh has made a decision to go with youth rather than bring back the vet.
Originally posted by English:
I might be the only one but I think Ted Ginn. With the way that Kyle Williams has played when given the chance you can tell that he is a better receiver than Ginn. The only thing that worries me is the return game, but didn't Williams do that at ASU and was pretty good at it iirc.

I think most people including myself like Ted Ginn and want him to be on included in the offense. The frustrating issue is he so inconsistent with his hands. He would give a fabulous catch like the one that was called back in the Ravens game. And even catches some good ones for nice gains. But then he drops some easy ones like the 4th down play against the Ravens. Or the tipped INT against the Giants.

Yeah Ginn is not a consistent enough receiever and we rarely ever use his speed to our advantage. Thats why I like Williams, he has caught everything thrown to him so far AND he has the speed to be a big play threat. I think a reciveing core going into next season of Williams, Crabtree, Morgan, and a #1 draft pick or FA I would feel safe with.

but check out what Ginn has done for our O on return duties alone. Hopefully, we keep him. We need him.

Yeah that is my one concern. Thats why I said in my first post that I would want to see Williams in return duty first (he was quite good at it in college at ASU). If he cant then I would keep Ginn specifically for returns.
  • dj43
Originally posted by English:

Yeah that is my one concern. Thats why I said in my first post that I would want to see Williams in return duty first (he was quite good at it in college at ASU). If he cant then I would keep Ginn specifically for returns.

If Williams did win the starting role as a slot receiver, I would not want him returning kicks. Too much risk of injury.

I am fine with Ginn as a specialty return guy and emergency 5th receiver.

I expect to see dramatic changes at WR next season, based on what we are seeing now. It is clear Crabtree will not be the burner needed to stretch the defense, nor will anyone else currently on the roster. Morgan will be a good possession and mid-range guy, sharing that role with Crabtree. Williams doesn't have the size to go up for the deep ball nor does he have the elite speed to just outrun guys. Edwards needs to prove he is healthy and wants to remain here, even so, he isn't a speed guy. That leaves a high draft pick to fill that role. If that pick is successful, one of these 4 will not be on the team. I see a trade possibility here, likely involving Crabtree. He would have the most value in seeking a high pick or a package to get an impact player from another team.
Your trade values is something you do in Madden.

Also what is wrong with keeping Brock? He's no starter but last time I checked we need a 4th and 5th stringer and he fits that perfectly.
The 49ers would be stupid not to resign Ginn. Field position is so important in the NFL and he always gives us great position. He's an elite returner
Hate to say it but Gore looks like he is finished. Just hasn't been 100% the same after the hip injury.
I'd be willing to let Ginn walk if we could get DeSean Jackson.

As for who's gone:

Madieu Williams
Shawntae Spencer
Moran Norris
Justin Peele

Wouldn't be surprised if gone:

Dashon Goldson

I will cut you some slack, but Ted Ginn restructered his deal and is a FA after this season. Ginn, Chilo Rachal cannot be traded. Rachal you could franchise him, but why would anyone want to do that.

I think Chilo and Moran are the 2 guys who have started that wont be back. I know Ginn has not been great as a WR but that TD that wasn't in Baltimore was the best play a WR has made all season for the team. Maybe some of you forgot just how bad the return game was before Ginn too. You could argue that the niners would have gone to the playoffs in 09 if Ginn had been on the team since special teams fumbles alone cost the niners at least 2 games that year. I am firmly off of the Mesean Jackson bandwagon myself, the guy is turning into a grade A turd.
Originally posted by 9erred:

I will cut you some slack, but Ted Ginn restructered his deal and is a FA after this season. Ginn, Chilo Rachal cannot be traded. Rachal you could franchise him, but why would anyone want to do that.

I didn't say anything about trading Ginn or bring up Rachal at all....so what are you cutting me slack for. The thread is just about who won't be with the team next year.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
If I were the JH, id be cutting or trading:

Chilo Rachal( worth maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder if we were to trade him)
Moran Norris (his time is up)
Shawntae Spencer (I like him when he plays, but he's always hurt. Kinda like a Bob Sanders scenario. Could trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder as well)
Tremaine Brock (I feel that maybe he's peaked, not sure. He's a nickel corner at best)
Tarrell Brown (Only if we can land a better CB)
Madieu Williams (Cost us the Cowboys game, plus he brings nothing to the team. He can definitely enjoy free agency)

What about B. Edwards?? Signed one-year deal, missed several games with injuries, now playing hurt and underperforming?
Players who I do not expect to return:

OG Rachal (terrible)
WR Edwards (good player, but just hasn't done enough. We'll draft a WR)
FB Norris (old, terrible)
DB M.Williams (just not good)
DB Reggie Smith (too slow and terrible with tackling angles)
LB Gooden (special teamer easily replaced)
TE Peele (Byham returning from injury)
I think with a real offseason, and a whole season to evaluate existing talent and how it fits with their schemes, JH and Baalke could make a few key acquisitions and really supercharge the performance of this team. It could be scary how good they are next year. Think about how much they have accomplished with the existing talent - whether it fit their plan or not. I suspect, they will seek upgrades in this order of priority:

1. WR - we need a true #1 -- an AJ Green type performer to open up the outside and deep areas of the field.
2. OL - need help at RG. But I would not be surprised if we saw a larger make-over that affects LT and RT -- for example, having Staley and Davis switch positions.
3. CB - An upgrade here could free up the scheme to be more aggressive with blitzes.

Then augment existing talent in this order:
4. TE - I know we have VD and DW - but they disappear for big stretches of games. I don't think they are the TE types fit JH and staff schemes - I think they will make it a priority to find a big body type that can still be a good receiver in zones to complement VD's skills. Then again, adding a true #1 WR could really help VD and DW become huge weapons.
5. S - I suspect Goldson will leave on a big contract, so adding talent here could be key.
6. DL - Unless Dobbs develops, they need some rotational help here to keep guys fresh, and JSmith is getting older.
7. QB - I think they will still be looking for QBs to groom even with CK and Tolzien on the roster.
8. RB - They have to add talent here to eventually replace Gore's production.
Share 49ersWebzone