There are 52 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Soo umm who do you see NOT making it back with the Niners next season? Trade or Release?

Originally posted by martysofresh:
If I were the JH, id be cutting or trading:

Chilo Rachal( worth maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder if we were to trade him)
Moran Norris (his time is up)
Shawntae Spencer (I like him when he plays, but he's always hurt. Kinda like a Bob Sanders scenario. Could trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder as well)
Tremaine Brock (I feel that maybe he's peaked, not sure. He's a nickel corner at best)
Tarrell Brown (Only if we can land a better CB)
Madieu Williams (Cost us the Cowboys game, plus he brings nothing to the team. He can definitely enjoy free agency)

In what world do you think someone would give us a 3rd or 4th rd pick for Rachal or Spencer? if neither can start on our team, why would someone give up high picks for them when Randy Moss only got a 4th rounder a few years ago?
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
I don't know how long Goodwin can last. He's getting up there in age. We have to get someone in at center incase of a likelihood of a total drop off from Goodwin. Like Larry Allen.

Aren't we reportedly grooming Kilgore to take over as a center? I doubt we go over a center unless he is simply the best player available in the draft and don't want to trade back.

Maybe we bring in another "low cost" vet if Goodwin falls off but spending big money on a center in free agency seems really risky and I doubt Baalke will risk setting the team back by going after another free agent once Goodwin starts going down hill.
Originally posted by enker1700:
Hey everyone, first time, long time........

I have been a 49ers fan for 25 years now and I live in NY so I rarely get to see any games (I had to go to a bar on Thanksgiving to watch the Ravens game!)

Anyway, I wanted to touch on this post and just say that we should use the money that we save by letting these guys go/trading them and sign a #1/shut down corner. We don't need a Derrel Revis or a Nhamdi Asoumaugh, but maybe someone like an Ike Taylor or Dantu Robinson or Deangelo Hall because I feel this is the one and only piece were are missing to be an absolute no question about it elite team. That guy could take away the other team's best receiver and we could then roll the coverage with Rogers and one of the safeties over the top to the other receiver and allow Rogers to make plays, like he has been doing this year, on a more frequent basis.

Thoughts?

That would make us a helluva defense on top of the one we already have now. But we may lose Dashon Goldson to FA next year. To replaced both a safety and a cb in one year is pretty tough.

I have been a 49ers fan for 25 years now and I live in NY so I rarely get to see any games (I had to go to a bar on Thanksgiving to watch the Ravens game!)

Anyway, I wanted to touch on this post and just say that we should use the money that we save by letting these guys go/trading them and sign a #1/shut down corner. We don't need a Derrel Revis or a Nhamdi Asoumaugh, but maybe someone like an Ike Taylor or Dantu Robinson or Deangelo Hall because I feel this is the one and only piece were are missing to be an absolute no question about it elite team. That guy could take away the other team's best receiver and we could then roll the coverage with Rogers and one of the safeties over the top to the other receiver and allow Rogers to make plays, like he has been doing this year, on a more frequent basis.

Thoughts?
Deangelo Hall gets burned a lot. I wouldn't touch him. I doubt the Steelers let Ike Taylor go. and if so he's still in his 30's and might only have 2 years left in the tank. I agree corner needs an upgrade. I just wouldn't use it on those guys you listed.

Originally posted by crabman82:
dashon goldson, hes looking to break the bank and i wouldnt pay him that much
i think carlos rodgers is looking to break the bank also
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Daddyt4949:
I might be the only one but I think Ted Ginn. With the way that Kyle Williams has played when given the chance you can tell that he is a better receiver than Ginn. The only thing that worries me is the return game, but didn't Williams do that at ASU and was pretty good at it iirc.

You're correct, remember he was supposed to be our return man until the the turf monster got him with turf toe and also had his foot stepped on while fielding a punt and broke a toe if I'm not mistaken. Which is the main reason while Baalke traded for Ginn in the first place.

Much like the idea of a team coughing up loads of cash for alex, someone will probably be dumb enough to offer something for Ginn because of his success this season and while mild is also happening at the same time that Hester, Peterson, and that damn rookie on the panthers are running all over people. So someone will inevitably want a proven commodity in the return game and come calling for Ginn.
[ Edited by sfout on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:34 AM ]
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Alex Smith.

I know, a lot are going to call this hateing or whatever; but, some stupid team (Redskins) will probably offer way too much $$$ to Alex for us to want to keep him.

You think after 6 years, if he could've gone anywhere else that he would leave now? Start over again with another team, another coach and offensive coordinator and staff? I highly highly doubt it, even if someone offers him all the money in the world. He wants stability so he can improve, not another megadeal. And after going 9-2 and to the playoffs with Jim Harbaugh, after years of losing you think he wants to leave for Washington? Ohhhkay.
Originally posted by lamontb:

Thoughts?
Deangelo Hall gets burned a lot. I wouldn't touch him. I doubt the Steelers let Ike Taylor go. and if so he's still in his 30's and might only have 2 years left in the tank. I agree corner needs an upgrade. I just wouldn't use it on those guys you listed.

No, I understand, I was just using those guys (Taylor, Hall) as an example.....

We just need someone that can matchup with the other teams best receiver (most notably Larry Fitzgerald ad we play them twice) and then Carlos Rogers can make plays......if you look at most solid secondaries (not saying ours is bad, just not elite) they have a "shut down" corner and a "playmaking" corner which is what Rogers is, we just don't have that shut down guy....
I might be the only one but I think Ted Ginn. With the way that Kyle Williams has played when given the chance you can tell that he is a better receiver than Ginn. The only thing that worries me is the return game, but didn't Williams do that at ASU and was pretty good at it iirc.

I think most people including myself like Ted Ginn and want him to be on included in the offense. The frustrating issue is he so inconsistent with his hands. He would give a fabulous catch like the one that was called back in the Ravens game. And even catches some good ones for nice gains. But then he drops some easy ones like the 4th down play against the Ravens. Or the tipped INT against the Giants.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:

Thoughts?

Ike got locked up by the steelers this offseason, so he's completely irrelevant. DeAngelo had one good game against Jay Cutler during the time when no one in Chicago was running Martz's offense correctly. He is probably not even a top10 corner in the league right now.

Rogers isn't trying to break the bank but he's trying to get locked up for next 5 years, I'm sure we could work out a 18mil 6 year deal with 9 mil guaranteed and have it be middle loaded.

Yes Goldson wants money and unfortunately he is having a good enough year to warrant a lot of consideration from both the 49ers and other teams as well. I bet the Bears will come after him hard if their safeties don't finish strong. If we make it deep into playoff's let alone the super bowl he will definitely be considered for the franchise tag.
Member Milestone: This is post number 1,400 for btwagner.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
LOL @ Rachal worth a 3/4 round pick

Only way this would happen is if Singletary got another head coaching job
Here's what I said in an earlier post about a similar question a few weeks back:

I agree. I don't understand why so many have Goldson leaving for money. If the niners get a win or two ing the playoffs I can't see any of the niners, especially starters, wanting to leave due to money. Plus, if we get playoff wins there are going to be top quality players willing to take paycuts for the chance to play on a YOUNG playoff team, a team with a coach that players have clearly bought into and trust. So I can't see the niners not offering him, or Braylon, an extension. At worst Goldson is an above average FS who likes to hit hard. As for Braylon I doubt he'd even want to leave. This is probably the best TEAM (and best coached team) he's been on in his career. Plus, skill wise and physically he fits our WC system. So I don't see either of them demanding to be paid top dollar. Clearly, we are going to keep Morgan. It is becoming clear that the 49ers are a multidimensional team that can win all kinds of ways. With Crabs, Edwards, and Morgan we pose even more match-up problems for opposing defences when we go into 3, 4, 5 wide sets.

Players I think could be gone in 2012:

Chilo Rachal, finally exposed as not being good enough

Reggie Smith, not good enough in my mind

Brett Swain, just won't be room

Shawntae Spencer, would hate to see him go but if Chris Culliver plays well against the Cardinals, like I think he will, I can't see the niners wanting to bring him back unless he takes serious paycut.

Madieu Williams, I really have't seen him do much

Scott Tolzien, Alex Smith has squashed all ambiguity so the 9ers won't need to keep 3 QB's in 2012. That roster spot could be used on a player that will actually play. Justin Peelle, no room with Nate Byham healthy

Moran Norris, this one is purhaps the most obvious

Anthony Dixon, unless he works for peanuts

Terrell Brown, Chris Culliver could make this easy for the niners

I cannot see the 49ers just letting too many others go. Parys Haralson is just too important against the run, plus he get decent pressure. Aldon Smith is good but in keeping him we can focus our draft picks on the secondary, a WR, and maybe another RB. As for Ginn, please. The 49ers are NOT going to let Ginn go with what he's giving us on ST.

I still don't see Dashon Goldson looking to break the bank in 2012. I could be wrong about Dixon however. I really would like to see Spencer stay, maybe not as a starter, nut purhaps as a nickle. I think Alex Smith and Carlos Rogers have played themselves into long contracts. I don't know what NaVorro Bowman contract situation is but he's got to be in the contract extention conversation.
[ Edited by 9ersLiferInChicago on Nov 30, 2011 at 8:49 AM ]
All I know is Chilo wont be back, so RG is a need for us.

Tarrell Brown would be a great Nickel back for us once we get another solid corner to groom for the coming years

I would like to keep Braylon , he could eventually become a huge factor in our offense, plus I want to get a speedy WR in the draft to play in the slot ..Ginn does not have the hands to be an effective Slot receiver ...but he is valuble on special teams

Another Defensive Lineman with a big motor to throw into the rotation would also be a plus
  • dj43
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sfout:
I don't know how long Goodwin can last. He's getting up there in age. We have to get someone in at center incase of a likelihood of a total drop off from Goodwin. Like Larry Allen.

Aren't we reportedly grooming Kilgore to take over as a center? I doubt we go over a center unless he is simply the best player available in the draft and don't want to trade back.

Maybe we bring in another "low cost" vet if Goodwin falls off but spending big money on a center in free agency seems really risky and I doubt Baalke will risk setting the team back by going after another free agent once Goodwin starts going down hill.

Anyone who does not yet realize the 49ers need an upgrade at center needs to go back and re-watch Haloti Ngata shoving Goodwin all over the field. Goodwin is OK against the journeymen NT/DTs in the league but if you are planning to go deep into the playoffs, you must be able to block guys like Ngata and Raji.

I don't see Goodwin leaving but I would hope Kilgore or a rookie could beat him out next season.

I think most people including myself like Ted Ginn and want him to be on included in the offense. The frustrating issue is he so inconsistent with his hands. He would give a fabulous catch like the one that was called back in the Ravens game. And even catches some good ones for nice gains. But then he drops some easy ones like the 4th down play against the Ravens. Or the tipped INT against the Giants.

Yeah Ginn is not a consistent enough receiever and we rarely ever use his speed to our advantage. Thats why I like Williams, he has caught everything thrown to him so far AND he has the speed to be a big play threat. I think a reciveing core going into next season of Williams, Crabtree, Morgan, and a #1 draft pick or FA I would feel safe with.
Originally posted by martysofresh:
If I were the JH, id be cutting or trading:

Chilo Rachal( worth maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder if we were to trade him)
Moran Norris (his time is up)
Shawntae Spencer (I like him when he plays, but he's always hurt. Kinda like a Bob Sanders scenario. Could trade him for a 3rd or 4th rounder as well)
Tremaine Brock (I feel that maybe he's peaked, not sure. He's a nickel corner at best)
Tarrell Brown (Only if we can land a better CB)
Madieu Williams (Cost us the Cowboys game, plus he brings nothing to the team. He can definitely enjoy free agency)

Rachal, Norris and Williams are all free agents after this season and won't be back. I think we can add Reggie Smith to that bucket. Spencer will probably be a salary casualty but could possibly fetch a low round pick for somebody desperate for secondary help next summer. Brock and Brown I think are safe bets to be on the roster next year.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home