LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 435 users in the forums

Are we "a very soft 9 - 2?" The WE DIDN'T PLAY ANYBODY argument.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
I don't worry about the interference or the chop block. Those can go either way. It's the complete line of scrimmage domination that concerns me. We got abused badly. The game was not as close as the score.

The O-line was playing pretty good for that last 6-7 games. Suddenly they couldn't block a 4 man rush. The Ravens D-line was good but I don't think they were any better than the best d-line that we had played in previous games. The culprit was Chilo and the lack of a running game. I have no doubt.

Chilo in again had a huge impact. Not noticed by the national media and fans. Noticed by WZers for sure...
  • Envy
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Eskendale:
That game was far worse than a 10 point loss. If we didn't go 3 and out so much our offense would have spent more time on the field. And if they did would it be 15 sacks? The abuse at the line of scrimmage was unbelievable. We are not ready for the big time IMO based on this team. We are physically overmatched vs. top tier teams.

And if the refs didn't call the chop-block or Braylon go outside when Alex went inside, we'd be talking about how badly we destroyed Baltimore

I don't worry about the interference or the chop block. Those can go either way. It's the complete line of scrimmage domination that concerns me. We got abused badly. The game was not as close as the score.

But consider the performance that Defensive line put in place. Then consider that we rarely blitz at all and I can imagine during practices that the case also. Our offensive line was always going to struggle.

Baltimore D is a group that has been together for years and given some small alterations play mostly the same way. They had a performance like that in them and it just fell on us.

What I hate, and I'm not directing this just at you SD, is that people can't accept that we got our ass kicked. It has to be bigger than that for them. They over analyse this until they convince themselves there is something to fear. Frankly I disagree with that perspective. We are not unbeatable and Baltimore showed that. I'm more concerned how we react to the defeat not the defeat itself. Keep an eye on the big picture.
[ Edited by Envy on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:38 AM ]
Originally posted by Envy:
That game was far worse than a 10 point loss. If we didn't go 3 and out so much our offense would have spent more time on the field. And if they did would it be 15 sacks? The abuse at the line of scrimmage was unbelievable. We are not ready for the big time IMO based on this team. We are physically overmatched vs. top tier teams.

And if the refs didn't call the chop-block or Braylon go outside when Alex went inside, we'd be talking about how badly we destroyed Baltimore

But consider the performance that Defensive line put in place. Then consider that we rarely blitz at all and I can imagine during practices that the case also. Our offensive line was always going to struggle.

Baltimore D is a group that has been together for years and given some small alterations play mostly the same way. They had a performance like that in them and it just fell on us.

What I hate, and I'm not directing this just at you SD, is that people can't accept that we got our ass kicked. It has to be bigger than that for them. They over analyse this until they convince themselves there is something to fear. Frankly I disagree with that perspective. We are not unbeatable and Baltimore showed that. I'm more concerned how we react to the defeat not the defeat itself. Keep an eye on the big picture.

Well that game and line of scrimmage performance should concern us some. Battles in the trenches like that won't get us far in the playoffs. One and done I suspect.
  • Envy
  • Veteran

Well that game and line of scrimmage performance should concern us some. Battles in the trenches like that won't get us far in the playoffs. One and done I suspect.
I completely agree with you. I'm only pointing out that I want them positive about the next game rather than down about their performances against Baltimore. We cannot replay that game. Move on.
Our defense is one of the best in the NFL, probably the best in the NFC and our special teams units are among the VERY best in the NFL. But we will only go as far as our offense allows us to go and I could see us ranked 6th by a lot of analysts this week just because our offense has been operating in fits and starts for so long. If the offense can TRULY gel over the last five regular season games, the passing game in particular, I would NOT want to play us in January.
Its not our fault that we played the weak NFC East.
The niners have the third most easy schedule for the remaining games. Their first 11 games were in the low 20s as far as strength of opponent. So, yes there schedule was not terribly difficult but they still beat some very good teams. Before the year started the teams strength of schedule was listed in the 30s. So it is going as expected if they can close strong against inferior teams.

Pittsburgh is obvioulsy the most interesting game but, while I want to play well against the Steelers, more emphasis should be on closing out the weaker teams and getting healthy for the playoffs. Going in at 13-3 would probably get the 2nd seed.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:11 AM ]
Originally posted by English:
Tough away game, pretty much must win for them, short preparation time and travelling, not to mention key injuries. A ten point loss.

IMO you are way overreacting.

Wot? How about, if our O had spent more time on the field they might have scored more points? How about, when we get Snyder and Miller back the line is going to be back to previous standards?
Originally posted by fister30:
Its not our fault that we played the weak NFC East.

Dallas beat us.
Tough away game, pretty much must win for them, short preparation time and travelling, not to mention key injuries. A ten point loss.

Wot? How about, if our O had spent more time on the field they might have scored more points? How about, when we get Snyder and Miller back the line is going to be back to previous standards?

Nope that doesn't matter. We were outplayed so we're terrible.

Good god the pessimism on this board....

The week was too short to adequately prepare offensively. Get over it, crazy.
Maybe. But aren't the Saints much better right now than they were then? We almost lost to the Seahawks if not for Ted Ginn.

we were winning the game before Ginns returns.

Originally posted by VaBeachNiner:
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
That crossed my mind as well. The teams we beat that were supposed to be good this year just aren't, although the Giants are decent. I don't know, I'm going to just enjoy winning this year, and wait and see how far this ride goes.

The only reason those teams are no longer good is because the Niners exposed them.

This

Also look at the teams we beat WHEN we beat them. The Giants and Lions were streaking and among the best in the league. The Eagles, Bucs, and Bengals were all winning teams when the got beat and all but 1 on the road. 5-1 on the road is never soft. Like Parcells said "you are what your record says your are!"

Yeah, you're probably right, the NFC is filled with clones of Baltimore's defense, right? right? No, that is the best defense we will see all year. Jeez, just stay off the board until after next sunday's win. We had a bad game, not the end of the world, nor does it mean we are going one and done, we will most likely play in the NFC Championship at least.
Lol how can we be soft? Beat the Lions, & Bengals at their peak. Beat the touted eagles. Lol we've only played 2 divison games. See ya in the playoffs
Is the Baltimore game a warning from a top tier team or was it a "scheduled loss?" Short week, travel several time zones and play at Baltimore where losing is not an unexpected result. When we lost 1 game to Dallas in overtime I thought we were for real. But this game gives me pause. And here is why looking at the schedule and circumstances.

It's been argued by WZers and media types that we did play somebody. But did we? Wins vs. the Bengals, Eagles, Lions, Bucs and Giants were often pointed to as "good teams" we beat. Are they?

~ Eagles 4 - 7.
~ Bucs 4 - 7.
~ Lions - started 5 - 0 and have been dropping games ever since. Really imploded around the time we played them and after. Ok we can claim this one if we want. They were good when we played them. But they haven't been good lately. So how good are they?
~ Giants - Yup we beat them. But we resorted to onside kick trickery at home and could barely get them off the field after several 4th downs. IMO they are perfectly capable of beating us in a rematch.
~ Bengals - good record but a ROOKIE QB. Albeit a good one.

The Seahawks and Cardinals are a joke. And the Seahawks gave us a good game remember if not for 2 Ted Ginn returns that bailed us out. The Browns and Redskins are simply not good teams.

So look at who beat us.

~ Cowboys - a good team. Beat us passing all over the field. Looked like an unstoppable offense vs. us.
~ Ravens - a great TOP TIER team IMO. Completely abused us. Manhandled us all over the field. If we spent any more time on offense they would have had 15 - 20 sacks. Utter domination at the line of scrimmage. Far worse than the score IMO. A game that gives even the most rabid homer some pause and concern.

If I had to do a power ranking right now I would put it like this.

1) Packers - Would abuse us badly.
2) Saints - If we get behind no way to catch up. And we would get behind vs. them.
3) Patriots - Far superior IMO.
4) Ravens - Any worse abuse than this and you file assault charges...
5) Steelers - Vastly underrated by the WZ and media. This team is for real.

6) 49ers. Just my opinion.

I think the Texans and Bears have too many injury concerns at QB to be considered serious contenders. I'd put the Cowboys and Giants about even with us. Almost right on par. The Cowboys beat us. And we barely beat the Giants with onside kicks and all. IMO they are capable of beating us. I think Atlanta is about on par with us. They are definitely capable of beating us on a given sunday.

So maybe:

7) Dallas
8) New York Giants
9) Atlanta

I don't think those teams are far behind us. Capable of beating us too. One of them did.

I think we played one super elite top tier team and they abused us all over the field. It was far worse than the score in the physical matchup. I'm glad we are better. But I don't think we are as top tier as we think. Our offense is not capable of coming from behind. And if we get down in the playoffs I don't see much come from behind capability to keep the season alive. I'm glad we are better than we used to be. But we may not be ready yet for the big time. I agree with the argument that the Ravens and Steelers are the true test. Even if we split those, win out and go 14 - 2 I would start to believe again. If we lose that, get abused, win in NFC West matchups and go 13 - 3 I'm not sure how good we are?...
San Diego, you mention two teams that beat us.

The first, the Cowboys, won on plays like our DBs slipping and falling on TD bombs and Madieu Williams pathetically jumping routes and getting burned (we didn't have Goldson at this time). Really, we beat the Cowboys and gave the game away; better put, there is no reason why we couldn't beat them if played them again.

The Ravens game has been analyzed to the minutest detail, already. A football game is 60 minutes, and it came down to the 4th quarter. Flacco barely finished the game with more yards than Alex, and for all the sacks that the Ravens had they were prone to the big play. This is also a Ravens team that lost to the likes of the Seahawks and gave up 20+ points to teams like the Bengals.

The point is this: any team can be beaten any Sunday, but in 11 games we know two things: our defense is great and leads the league in points allowed (we allowed only 16 to the Ravens AT HOME), and our offense is mediocre and usually thrives off of winning the turnover ratio. The Ravens game taught us nothing new about this season.

Are you scared about playing the Saints? Unless start losing games we shouldn't, we'll play them at home. The Saints seem unstoppable when they are playing at the Superdome, but they come back down to earth on someone else's turf.

Cowboys? With our full arsenal at our disposal on defense and 16 games worth of time with Harbaugh's playbook, I don't see how we lose at home.

The Bears? Will Cutler even be ready?

The Giants? They might play themselves out of playoff contention.

The Falcons? Same team we lost to only because of Nate Clements, and that was WITHOUT Harbaugh.

The Packers? We have the same problem that the other 31 teams in the league have; it doesn't matter how or who it is, someone has to beat them.

The real question you should ask yourself is, are the 49ers bad enough to lose a 1st-round bye through a loss to one of the NFC West teams? Or, are the 49ers bad enough to lose at home to any NFC team not named Green Bay?

If you remember that Giants game, it was the same one that Tedd Ginn tipped a pass that was intercepted during the 2 minute drill, could've been points. We had been up two scores in that game heading into the 4th, and silly crap like blitzing Goldson on a late blitz eroded that lead. Our MO is bend but don't break, and we shouldn't F around with it. The game would've been a lot more lopsided if Fangio didn't try to get cute there.

we sucked cuz Alex can't play , Harbaugh and Co. are protecting his ass all season . We will never be contenders to go to SB untill Alex go somewhere and leave us alone . Never heard of a good QB with less the 250 yards a game unless we have the Ravens D. which we have but the OL is not good ! Alex must go !
Share 49ersWebzone