There are 135 users in the forums

49ers Offense - One Thing Clear.....

Shop Find 49ers gear online
ok the title might have been alittle over dramatic...but
The 49ers team you saw last night was the same you saw for most of the season. It was just that the Ravens played mistake free football and converted 3rd downs when it counted.

look at these stats...

we were...
2/12 16% on 3rd down conversions against the Ravens

8/21 38% on 3rd down conversions against the Cards

3/11 27% against the Giants

3/12 25% against the Redskins

6/15 40% against the Browns

2/14 14% against the Lions

etc...

the point is we have been bad at converting 3rd down conversions all year. It just helped us that most of the teams we played made mistakes to get us good field position or just get the ball back for our offense to get another chance to score something. Sure we caused those mistakes as well, but we have also had the luxury of offenses making bonehead plays to help us out.

last night, the Ravens played mistake free football and relied on their offense converting key 1st downs when it counted.

with the type of offense we run and the decisions our QB goes for....if we play another team again that plays mistake free football, we will HAVE to improve our 3rd down conversion percentages drastically or we will lose. And more importantly be one and done in the playoffs.

I've said this before, but some wonder why folks make a big deal about Alex not having alot of yards per game......By Alex converting these 3rd downs, he is extending drives which also adds to his yardage total...which show up at the end in the box score. I'd personally be fine with 250-300 yards a game, as long as we convert 1st downs with those yards and score.

I don't remember alot of plays where our RBs were stuffed on 3rd downs.....but do remember more on missed passes and drops....or passes completed short of the first down. So it is not all on Alex. But he has a part along with our receivers. I think we have seen the ceiling for this offensive approach.....we should be able to beat most teams with it. But I don't know if we can beat a talented disciplined team unless our offense converts 3rd downs much more often.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:12 PM ]
I'll say that last night was alittle different though, we put our selfs in alot of 3rd and longs...

Sure the Oline looked like it had a horrible game...and it did, but I think more credit should be given to the Ravens defense. There were a couple of plays where guys just got in and Alex had no hope, but there were also times where Alex had a chance to go some where with the ball but hesitated (didn't want to make a mistake) which resulted in a sack and it was 3rd and +12.

reading back on everything I wrote though, maybe the Ravens are a team that just matches up well against us. Its a good thing we don't have too many of those teams in the NFC. But I'd be worried about teams like the Falcons and Giants come playoff time.
[ Edited by Afrikan on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:19 PM ]
we rank 30th in the league in 3rd down conversions not good leading up to the playoffs.
I understand that its just one game and yada yada yada... However, i also understand that this is a copy cat league and i know that whatever the problem was on Sunday I gaurantee that every team on our upcoming schedule will try to play us like the ravens did. The niners coaching staff will have to fix what went wrong yesterday or there will continue to be pass protection problems that will affect the rest of the team
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:
we rank 30th in the league in 3rd down conversions not good leading up to the playoffs.

John Harbough alluded to it in the post game interview. Basically said we are a tough well coached team. They knew they had to play mistake free football to win.

I remember alot of commentators would say that our approach forces teams to play our style of football. And it seems that when they don't, we usually win.

I just wonder if teams from here on out will change their approach against us. Say, Rams could try to run it all day and punt the ball alot and try to limit their mistakes and see where the game goes. Granted their defense isn't the Ravens, but I wonder if they did take that approach until we started scoring...then they would open it up a bit. Seems like their only chance really.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by sfninerfanMax:
what are Chilo's issues--physically he looks like he should be solid----is he just low IQ?

Very poor awareness in zone blocking

Lack of physicality in pass pro

Overall slow and unbalanced

I can't remember--but i think Chilo was a Scott M draft pick----the Niners are so much better off with Baalke!
Originally posted by sacniner:
The Ravens have one of the best defenses in the NFL. This template won't work with most other teams because they don't have the Ravens' personnel.

I am going to cheer for the ravens to lose against anyone in the AFC playoffs--we just don't match up well with their defense.
Originally posted by andes14:
Originally posted by mike:
Ginn still has the worst hands on the team. Although most of our receivers are playing like they've got hot butter on their hands.

It may be Braylon. At least Ginn showed nice hands on the long TD catch that was brought back and I believe he has yet to muff or not catch a punt - a VERY welcome change given our struggles when he was out last year (i.e. N.O. game) and certainly 2009 and before. I always used to hold my breath when another team punted and for the first time in a while we have a guy that we can rely on to field punts cleanly. Also, I think he should get some PT at WR - but only when we're on our own side of the 50. That way he brings value as a decoy as a safety has to respect his deep speed. However when the field becomes shorter when we cross the 50, I don't really think he should play much WR, and CERTAINLY not in the red zone.

their has to be a way to improve catching ability---but a lot of it is mental also---wanting to run first or seeing defenders or feeling them. It isn't an easy job!
You raise an interesting point. To be sure, our 3rd down conversion rate needs to improve and Baltimore highlighted that ruthlessly. Another aspect of the game in which Baltimore shined a glaring light was what happens to us when we don't generate turnovers. In light of our poor 3rd conversion rate, I believe it is safe to say that we strongly rely on turnovers to assist in moving the ball. We had no such luck last night and subsequently only managed to just barely eke into FG range twice.
Originally posted by 9erred:
I think the answer should be yes. Have Chilo Inactive, that would send a message.

At this point, I'd rather have Shawntae Spencer playing guard over Chilo. The sad part is I am completely not being sarcastic.
[ Edited by Willisfn4life on Nov 25, 2011 at 5:52 PM ]

Originally posted by frenchmov:
yeah, here is the formula for beating the niners:

1. have the baltimore ravens defense
2. make sure sorry ass chilo rachal plays and compromises our whole line
3. ??
4. profit

There are many stats that are not nearly as important as some would have you believe, and stats can be manipulated to serve a variety of purposes. Winning is the most important stat.

The second most important stat, imo, is 3rd down conversion %.

And we need to do a better job. I'm not going to waste time blaming any one player, because it's not the fault of one player. It's the fault of the offense as a whole.
older brother always wins.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by Norwalks_Best:

John Harbough alluded to it in the post game interview. Basically said we are a tough well coached team. They knew they had to play mistake free football to win.

I remember alot of commentators would say that our approach forces teams to play our style of football. And it seems that when they don't, we usually win.

I just wonder if teams from here on out will change their approach against us. Say, Rams could try to run it all day and punt the ball alot and try to limit their mistakes and see where the game goes. Granted their defense isn't the Ravens, but I wonder if they did take that approach until we started scoring...then they would open it up a bit. Seems like their only chance really.

Playing conservative in other words I mean that's our formula but man 3rd down conversions are key to win in the playoffs in my opinion and in that style. Which brings the question can Smith be the QB to turn that around it's going to be interesting from in on out, has a lot to prove as I mentioned.

All true. Which tells us just how good we are in the other two phases of the game . . . but we're only going to go as far as the offense can take us. I like what Alex is developing with Crabtree and I think we'll be able run the ball consistently in the 120-140 yds per game range so long as we can keep Rachal out of the rotation. Crabtree has been the only perimeter reciever to get any kind of consistent seperation. Braylon looks gimpy and Ginn can only run by people. I'd love to see more Kyle Williams out there.
Share 49ersWebzone