There are 156 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

if snyder cant go, would alex boone be a better option at right guard

Originally posted by sfout:
Person might be the next Alex Boone in their eyes and Kilgore is getting a ton of consideration as the long term center after Goodwin so this off season will go a long way to deciding what our OL will look like in 2 or 3 years.

Staley / Iupati / Goodwin / (likeliest)Kilgore-Davis-Boone(least likely) / Davis-Boone
with the top back ups still being Kilgore/Boone and Person.

I'd really rather have Davis kick into RG and Boone at RT with Kilgore backing up Goodwin at C and Davis at RG with Person becoming the new swing tackle. It free us up from "having" to pick an RG in the draft and we'd still be fielding our best five lineman.

Something else to consider, yes Boone is a good backup but you dont lock up a backup OL to a 5 year contract(even if it was cheap on the fiscal front, the long term commitment says something) without the idea that he is going to be play absolutely crucial role to your offense in the very near future. I also wouldn't be surprised if Snyder's contract offer from us was either identical or worse then Boone's due to his age and lack of starting experience before the 2011 season.

Dont forget about former Stanford starting C Chase Beeler who was one of the top C's in college in 2010.
Originally posted by DRUSTOPO:
Dont forget about former Stanford starting C Chase Beeler who was one of the top C's in college in 2010.

if he was one of hte top C why did he go undrafted?
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

because teams hate guys named Chase ?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't see how Boone at RG could possibly work. Has there ever been a 6'8" guard? I can't recall any. It would be too easy to get under his pads...his height is a major disadvantage if placed at guard. He is strictly a tackle IMO.
Robert Gallery is 6'7" and made a successful conversion from T to G. Saints Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks ( now with TB ) is 6'5". Whatever Boone would lack in pad level, he would make up for with leverage and pass blocking ability.

Jim always said he would get the best 5 on the field. Why not? He'll be an improvement over Snyder. Davis and Boone side by side would be a great pass blocking wall on the right side.

I still think that a drive blocking RG will be drafted before day 2 is over though.
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:

because teams hate guys named Chase ?
I think you nailed it!

Not sure why he didnt get drafted. In 2010, he was named AP first-team All-American, first-team All-Pac-10 and second-team All-American by the Walter Camp Football Foundation. Beeler was also a National Merit Scholar, had the highest grade point on the Stanford football team and was a 2-time Academic All-American. I read that he turned down multiple offers from other teams and that he's been working out at the facility all offseason. He's 6'3" and 295, pretty strong too with 33 reps at the combine.

I tried to find some info, but all I could find was that he was undersized.
I prefer Boone at either tackle spot. Don't want him being moved cause of necessity. We are over that.
Originally posted by sfout:
Person might be the next Alex Boone in their eyes and Kilgore is getting a ton of consideration as the long term center after Goodwin so this off season will go a long way to deciding what our OL will look like in 2 or 3 years.

Staley / Iupati / Goodwin / (likeliest)Kilgore-Davis-Boone(least likely) / Davis-Boone
with the top back ups still being Kilgore/Boone and Person.

I'd really rather have Davis kick into RG and Boone at RT with Kilgore backing up Goodwin at C and Davis at RG with Person becoming the new swing tackle. It free us up from "having" to pick an RG in the draft and we'd still be fielding our best five lineman.

Something else to consider, yes Boone is a good backup but you dont lock up a backup OL to a 5 year contract(even if it was cheap on the fiscal front, the long term commitment says something) without the idea that he is going to be play absolutely crucial role to your offense in the very near future. I also wouldn't be surprised if Snyder's contract offer from us was either identical or worse then Boone's due to his age and lack of starting experience before the 2011 season.
I think this is great!! They obviously think he can make the transition. And considering they locked him up for 5 years the possibility is worth exploring. As for Davis to RG Ithought about that myself. But I truely believe that if they felt Daviv could do it them that would be the story. After all, they see what happens in practice and JH states time and again that he want's his best 11 on the field. Boone certainly can start for many teams. Personally, I think Kilgore will start, and be better than OK. I trust JH's development. But it's worth looking into.
Well it looks like he is going to get his chance to win a starting spot no matter who in the webzone disagrees. I personally think he's better at tackle but it doesn't hurt to give him a chance and it also keeps him happy.
Is this some writers opinion on what they should do, or is it actually what they are going to do? If Boone wins the rg spot, who will back up at tackle then?
Originally posted by SofaKing:
I don't see how Boone at RG could possibly work. Has there ever been a 6'8" guard? I can't recall any. It would be too easy to get under his pads...his height is a major disadvantage if placed at guard. He is strictly a tackle IMO.
Robert Gallery is 6'7" and made a successful conversion from T to G. Saints Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks ( now with TB ) is 6'5". Whatever Boone would lack in pad level, he would make up for with leverage and pass blocking ability.

Jim always said he would get the best 5 on the field. Why not? He'll be an improvement over Snyder. Davis and Boone side by side would be a great pass blocking wall on the right side.

I still think that a drive blocking RG will be drafted before day 2 is over though.

Off the top of my head Kevin Gogan made a few Pro Bowls as a 6'8 guard.