There are 266 users in the forums

if snyder cant go, would alex boone be a better option at right guard

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Somebody create a "Things that block better than Chilo Rachal" thread

lmao someone listened to you, or was that you that started it?!?!?

Seriously their play is really frustrating. I didn't want to use a pick before the 3rd round on a guard but they are seriously sending me to the tipping point right now.

Snyder should stick for depth purposes but three likely replacements for Chilo, all at different points in the draft:

Kelechi Osemele from Iowa State roound 1
Ryan Miller from Colorado round 2-3
Jaymes Brooks from Virginia Tech 4-6

I have never watched Iowa State but Miller and Brooks have been playing great this year and they are immediately my 3 favorite draft targets for RG.
Revisiting this thought. Anyone think Boone might be part of the FOs consideration for RG this coming season?
Originally posted by TexasNiner:
Revisiting this thought. Anyone think Boone might be part of the FOs consideration for RG this coming season?

no
No.
Originally posted by TexasNiner:

Tackles are hard to come by. They get picked high in the draft for a reason. Therefore I think the 49ers value Boone highly as a swing tackle. I think Kilgore and Person will get first crack at RG. It would only make sense to draft another interior lineman and possibly early.
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-expected-to-get-chance-to-compete-?blockID=686430&feedID=5936

When the 49ers' offseason programs begins Monday, offensive lineman Alex Boone is likely to get a chance to show his versatility.Boone, who was the 49ers' primary backup at both offensive tackle positions last season, is expected to get a chance to compete for a starting job at guard, according to multiple individuals close to the team.
Originally posted by valrod33:
http://www.csnbayarea.com/football-san-francisco-niners/niners-talk/Boone-expected-to-get-chance-to-compete-?blockID=686430&feedID=5936

When the 49ers' offseason programs begins Monday, offensive lineman Alex Boone is likely to get a chance to show his versatility.Boone, who was the 49ers' primary backup at both offensive tackle positions last season, is expected to get a chance to compete for a starting job at guard, according to multiple individuals close to the team.

I find that puzzling since they seem to like Kilgore and they have not brought in ANY FA Tackles that would be the swing if Boone moved to guard
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

I find that puzzling since they seem to like Kilgore and they have not brought in ANY FA Tackles that would be the swing if Boone moved to guard

Competition is good. If Boone wins the spot, and a tackle goes down, Boone kicks out to man the tackle spot and Kilgore likey comes in a RG.
It the Niners are planning in going in the direction of Boone at RG I think they would be more open to moving Davis to Guard and getting Boone at RT. But I think it is much higher potentiality to draft DeCastro, or some other OG, and let Kilgore and DeCastro have the Training Camp to settle the guard issue. I also think with Boone coming on and showing that he can play in the NFL that there might be some shuffling in the Oline to get the best 5 players on the line. I think with a full training camp all loyalties will be put on the shelf and they will go for the best five. I think it will be Staley, Iupati, Goodwin, Kilgore/Rookie/'Davis, Davis/Boone

YES! Best 5!!!

I don't see how Boone at RG could possibly work. Has there ever been a 6'8" guard? I can't recall any. It would be too easy to get under his pads...his height is a major disadvantage if placed at guard. He is strictly a tackle IMO.
  • sfout
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wysiwyg:

Person might be the next Alex Boone in their eyes and Kilgore is getting a ton of consideration as the long term center after Goodwin so this off season will go a long way to deciding what our OL will look like in 2 or 3 years.

Staley / Iupati / Goodwin / (likeliest)Kilgore-Davis-Boone(least likely) / Davis-Boone
with the top back ups still being Kilgore/Boone and Person.

I'd really rather have Davis kick into RG and Boone at RT with Kilgore backing up Goodwin at C and Davis at RG with Person becoming the new swing tackle. It free us up from "having" to pick an RG in the draft and we'd still be fielding our best five lineman.

Something else to consider, yes Boone is a good backup but you dont lock up a backup OL to a 5 year contract(even if it was cheap on the fiscal front, the long term commitment says something) without the idea that he is going to be play absolutely crucial role to your offense in the very near future. I also wouldn't be surprised if Snyder's contract offer from us was either identical or worse then Boone's due to his age and lack of starting experience before the 2011 season.
[ Edited by sfout on Apr 10, 2012 at 12:48 PM ]
Originally posted by OKC49erFan:
Competition is good. If Boone wins the spot, and a tackle goes down, Boone kicks out to man the tackle spot and Kilgore likey comes in a RG.

this boone is a good T he will make a great G
Brandon Jacobs.
This sounds like a cluster f**k
Share 49ersWebzone