There are 141 users in the forums

Couple of thoughts...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't think there are any positives to take from this game. It was a step back in my eyes. Regardless, I expect the coaching staff and players to bounce back strong.
  • Hopper
  • Veteran
Not sure it will be a blessing in disguise. I'm just glad none of the top NFC contenders have a defense as good as the Ravens defense to exploit us like yesterday.
Well I hope the coaching staff adjust to this as off we've seen the same blitz packages from the New Orleans Saints when we played them in the pre-season. I know it was only pre-season at the time but it was the same kinda blitz and stunts they used and they killed our oline, and obviously the Ravens did the same thing and killed us too and made our oline looked confused lastnite. Its a all year problem that needs to be fixed before the playoffs. I do believe that we are going to bounce back and demolish the Lambs next week.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
Of course other teams will duplicate what the Ravens did if they had Suggs, Ed Reed, Ngata etc. We'll be fine whether this was a blessing in disguise or not. There isn't a defense in NFC that is comparable to Ravens except ours.
Originally posted by monsterzero789:
This game probably killed Jim. It's gonna piss him off losing to his brother on a national stage like that. I feel sorry for opposing teams from here on out :)

and who knows when he is going to face him again.
Originally posted by tohara3:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
As much as I wanted to win, this loss was built into our schedule from day 1. Playing a division game at hme, then traveling accross the country to play in Baltimore on Thanksgiving night?

The great part about it? His brother showed him what style of play can beat him. They basically played Niner football as we had been all year. Mistake free, slow-moving offense with a stingy defense. Other teams will attempt to replicate what Baltimore did last night, but none have the personnel to do so. Jim will use this game as a tool to build for the rest of the season.

Nice post

when you put it like this, it actually make me feel good about last night loss. its brother to brother help and he basically help us prepare for the playoff.

for thanksgiving, i can say i am thankful for the loss and we wont regret it in the future this lost will come in handy.
Originally posted by dorkasaurus_rex:
This game probably killed Jim. It's gonna piss him off losing to his brother on a national stage like that. I feel sorry for opposing teams from here on out :)

Super Bowl.....
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Originally posted by dorkasaurus_rex:

Super Bowl.....
SUPERHARBOWL lol
Originally posted by ClassicNiner:
Originally posted by pasodoc9er:
PatrickWillis HOF is spot on. Ravens were bigger, faster,meaner, stronger, smarter, and outcoached us. That said, this is a blessing in disguise, and
"laughsatyou"'s comment about opinions, if I understand it correctly, would have a better handle if it were "laughs-at-me". There was nothing to laugh about here, in that we just got an azzwhippin' out in the woodshed. Why the blessing in disguise?

At 9-1 and "2nd best team in nfl", a lot of us really believed that. Watching the official "best front 7 in football" destroy, demolish and demoralize our OL was a painful thing to see, yet this yr our OL has been amazingly resurrected from total futility to become a strong point on our team. Alex's improvements all went away once there was no OL to protect him. Watching Ngata eat Iupati's lunch, the RDE schooling Staley, the LDT and LE gaming Snyder and AD, the SS and CB blitzes along with the above, the resulting 8 sacks, 9 hits, 12 hurries on alex... man, we got a look at what a real "best D in the league" looks like. And , we were not up to the occasion.

I had said earlier that ravens lose even if they win, because of the short 3 day week with 1and1/2 days to prepare, plus the 3 time zone difference (on a Thurs nite? how stupid of nfl network), would all give a huge advantage to Ravens, and if they won, it would be a pyrrhic victory. Wrong. I didn't conceive of a bushwhacking like this, and Ravens left no doubt, depite their record, they are a vastly better team. It didn't hurt that their QB was perfect, we didn't get near him, no sacks(or maybe 1), and virtually on target all nite with no pressure. Wow! Forget about the short week and 3 time zones. We got stoned by a way better team, a much better coached team....a team with a much better O and D gameplan.

Fangio just got embarrassed. Coach Jim H got really embarrassed. ST got neutralized, tho there was one "c.s." call on Ginn's TD called back. So here are the lessons:

D game plan: playing off on receivers, with no pressure on passer was an open invitation to complete everything short and underneath. It was a disaster. No meaningful blitzing, nor putting any pressure on Flacco was inexcusable. Our run D did themselve proud, with still no running TD. But that was the extent of it. Pass coverage schemes were ineffective, and players executed poorly

O game plan. Once it became apparent that Ravens could blitz at will ,5,6-7 guys, the immediate coaching calls should have been for quick one step snap it and sling it. Instead, remarkably, Coach called for 3, step, 5 step, some 7 step drops that were doomed from the git go. Alex had no time to do anything except handoff, or throw quick. This was a game that shouted out, "49ers got outcoached". What Coach H was thinking , no one knows. But one thing for sure. He sure didn't take into consideration our Ol was getting its azz kicked on each snap of the ball. And that was pretty easy to see.

O play: alex had a bad game, but he had a shiddy plan to follow. After the first 4 downs, there should not have been a pass longer than 1-2 seconds after that. For what ever reason Coach didn't see it. Receivers as a group once again did not shine. I counted 6, maybe 7 really nice catches, and then we had the showpieces like at the end of the game with Ginn, hitting him in the stomach and falling incomplete. Our Run game was better with Hunter, not Frank, because they were looking for frank on every play. How he got any yds is a tribute to him. Our OL ground it out, but Ravens DL just beat them bad. Yet Coach never really gave Hunter many more carries.

ST play: Prior to this game we were #1 in field position with kicks and return exchanges. Ravens changed that, and THEY had best field position.

D play: Front 7 again looked great, but Not as good as Ravens, who were better. DBs laid off and let one pass after another get completed. The ones that were incomplete should have been caught. Give the D backfield an F.

Coaching: Offense F
Defense A for front 7 , F for D backfield . Overall C-

Game plan: Obvious F.

So how, then, could this be the blessing in disguise? Until this game, it looked like we were looking at a first rd bye, and ultimately end up playing in GB. If we played like in this game, we would have been demolished. This one Ravens game gave Coach H all the things he needed to know on what to work on. Obviously if our OL is getting beat, then throw quick 1 steppers until D backs off LOS. On D, if there is a great OL, and we are not playing close coverage, opponents will throw and complete passes on us all day long.

OL: Our OL has come a long way and I thot was one of the best in league. Wrong. They saw stunts last nite that rendered them useless, and alex got pulverized. Coach has done a fantastic job on OL. Now he needs to teach them how to play all the stunts that Ravens used...along the entire OL. Our game plan has to reflect that, and our individual OL players have to learn to recognize that. They have come a long way. Now they know they have another long hill of "D recognition" to climb.

DBackfield: If DL can't get passrush, then rush more guys(on occasion), esp corner and safety blitzes, and second, make coverage tight. Last nite all the 8- 10 yarders were gimmes.

Coaching: Coach got stuck in a mindset, and didn't translate what was happening on field with what needed to be changed. Eg, at end of half, we had Ravens on their heels, with the 2 minute drill, and were beating them. Come 2nd half, we should have run the 2 minute drill exclusively to prevent Ravens from making personnel changes.
Finally, Coach needs to teach OL, individually on how to read and pickup blitzes, from DL that fooled them virtually every play. He isn't ready for the bigtime...yet.

Silver lining: this game just may, give us the extra oomph to get ready for the playoffs. Looking at this game, we were NOT close to ready. We can beat NFC East, and hopefully Saints, but we were not ready for Packers,(who also would have lost to Ravens last nite.) Now maybe Coach can work on our severe deficiencies, and maybe, just maybe , if we get to GB we can match them.

Unh, playing Ravens again...ummm...I don't know if we can beat them without a major overhaul in game philosophy.
With all due respect, The D and Fangio did not get embarassed. They gave up 16 points. Flacco passed for 161 yards. Ray rice got almost nothing. The Ravens' total offensive output was way less than 300 yards.

We lost because of 9 sacks, 97 yards in penalties (versus 20), and an unfortunate chop block call on Ginn's TD.

Gotta agree with ClassicNiner here; saying that Fangio got embarrassed and that we are out out of Baltimore's league is really hyperbole.

If you think that giving up 16 points is bad, did you expect us to only give up 3? What about that terrific goal-line stand that we put up? I'd take that over all those sacks on one drive, where we give up seven, for a defense that holds the opponent to three points. If you recall one stat that they point up on NFL network, we lead the league in opposing teams' red-zone trips that end up in field goals.

Pass-protections need a lot of time to be implemented, and one day of practice is not enough time to prepare for Baltimore's D, especially with a guy like John Harbaugh who should be quite familiar with what his brother does. It is hard to say someone is out-schemed when someone barely has enough time to implement a scheme.

For a game that ended up 16-6, give us the field goal we lost from the Braylon int, as well as the seven points from the Teddy Ginn TD, and we have a tied ball game. Are we that far from being on par with Baltimore, then? No matter how ugly our offense looked, we were always in the game.

We have a full week to prepare for Pittsburgh, Pasodoc; if Jim Harbaugh lays a stinker then, I'll be the first to eat crow and say that the guy has a lot of work cut out for him. But considering the disadvantages of a short week and a cross-country trip, losing a game by 10 points to a good team does not suggest that we are lesser, it does more to suggest that we aren't "better," at least substantially. Probably a team like the Packers could have pulled it off, but I'd wager that we're just as good as the Ravens, and personally, I feel that we field a better squad, because Alex is more consistent than Flacco.

Frankly, I don't know how we're going to lose to the Steelers, when Jim's brother is the coach of the team that swept them divisionally; as they talk once a week about their respective games, I'm damn sure Jim will be getting pointers on how to attack the Steelers, considering that a loss for the latter will be mutually beneficial.
[ Edited by Eskendale on Nov 26, 2011 at 4:02 AM ]
We had this game as a loss from day 1. everyone whos crying is acting like a spoiled kid who wanted to win every game. were still 9-2. It wouldve been an incredible feat to go into Baltimore on 3 days rest and take them out.

It gave Harbaugh a chance to see his teams weaknesses, and gave the Niners a taste of what a SB contender could throw at them.

Were still going to be 12-4 or 13-3, which is good enough for a first round bye anyways. we probably werent taking the 1 seed from GB regardless.

nobody walked away from the game on IR.

We now have 9 days of rest to prepare for one of the worst teams in the NFL, at home. Now that we know what its like to play an elite team, we can raise our game to that level and try to get to that point. Were going to take out alot of frustrations from that loss on the Rams next week.

to keep things in perspective, were going to the playoffs no matter what. were in. anytime you get in, anything can happen. were still probably hosting after a bye week, and this is a wildly successful year 1 for a new coaching staff. most everyone thought that due to the strike, even if Harbaugh was the real deal, he didnt have enough time to install the system, and wed have a rough year. were a couple of cupcake wins away from starting that very same season 11-2.

For the experienced fan with common sense, the Thanksgiving loss should have put you in a sour mood for about an hour or 2 after the game was over, and then have shaken it off. were way ahead of schedule, so a loss in those circumstances is perfectly ok.

i agree. better to have the problems revealed now than in the playoffs when it's too late. at least now they can go trade for a better player, come up with better schemes, whatever they need to not have this happen in the playoffs
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
Championship.
Originally posted by PatrickWillisHOF:
Jim Harbagh and his staff have not faced a real good defense like that in their coaching careers. It is a blessing in disguise because now they have faced a team that created tremendous pressure on the offensive line. Harbaugh and hist staff can now spend time and figure out how to create plays when the defense is putting so much pressure on the offensive line.

Cheers...
straight up, that lose shows us a weak spot that will allow for the correct changes. I'd personally would look at FA just to size things up.
Red and Gold baby
All I saw was a Baltimore defense doing what it does best. Their main tactic was having their front four crisscross routes, and left our defenders confused, and standing straight up, and missing blocks. The comentators were making a mockery of us, on how unable we were to protect our QB. Our offensive game plan, should have been altered just for this team, with quick slants, and short passes. Our lack of running game killed us too. We needed better (misdirection) to get that aggressive front seven off balance. I know, we have all the answers here, but 9-2 is OK, and we just want to win them all! This is one tough east coast team we played, who beat Pittsburgh twice. so...oh well, lets take it out on the Rams now! Back to winning the west.
  • Cjez
  • Hall of Fame
idk about you guys, but i had the feeling that we were gonna lose from the first couple drives. s**t just looked outta sync.
Share 49ersWebzone