LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 275 users in the forums

Why do people constantly point out that Pat Willis and Ray Lewis wear the same #?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Like it's some sort of absolutely WILD coincidence. Almost every single ILB in the league has a # in the 50's so there's a 10% chance. Do people constantly point out that Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady wear the same #? Or Charles Woodson and Nnamdi Asomugha. Or Justin Smith and DeMarcus Ware. Or Anquan Boldin and Calvin Johnson. Or DeSean Jackson and Santonio Holmes. Or Drew Brees and Matt Stafford. Or Ben Roethlisberger and Michael Vick. Or Haloti Ngata and Richard Seymour. Or Jamaal Charles and LeSean McCoy. Or Cameron Wake and Tamba Hali. Or Darrelle Revis and Champ Bailey. Or Suh and Jay Ratliff or Peppers. etc. etc. etc. There's tons of superstars that have the same # as other superstars. It'd be impossible for there to not be a ton of overlapping. Yet for some weird ass reason, the only time they mention like it's such a big coincidence that they wear the same # is with Willis and Lewis. So weird. Anyone else notice this?
[ Edited by andes14 on Nov 22, 2011 at 9:44 PM ]
Maybe because he told the reporters that the player he looks up to is ray Lewis, and that's why he picked the number.
when Willis was drafted he chose that number because of his admiration for Ray Lewis. I thought this was common knowledge.
I think a lot had to do with Mike Nolan's association with Ray Lewis when he was DC there. Everyone was saying "Mike Nolan got his new Ray Lewis". It just kind of stuck. I remember after it was announced he would wear #52 somebody here posted what he imagined happened after Nolan gave him the jersey . . . "Here Patrick put on this #52 jersey . . . oh yeah . . . turn around . . . oh yeah, daddy like . . . daddy like!"
Originally posted by AXEGRINDER:
when Willis was drafted he chose that number because of his admiration for Ray Lewis. I thought this was common knowledge.

So? Maybe Aaron Rodgers chose 12 because of his admiration of Brady (he was #8 at Cal). Still doesn't seem to be worth constantly pointing out. Not to mention that probably at least 6-7 of the other #'s in the 50's were already taken when he was drafted. I'm sure tons of players choose #'s based on guys they admire. In fact, that's probably how the MAJORITY of guys choose #'s. I know if I were a WR in the NFL I'd sure as hell like to wear #80 because of Jerry. It's not like Pat's the first guy in NFL history to choose a # based on a guy whose game he'd like to pattern his own after. It just seems to be way overmentioned.
  • Janitor
  • HOF Food Reviews
Originally posted by andes14:

So? Maybe Aaron Rodgers chose 12 because of his admiration of Brady (he was #8 at Cal). Still doesn't seem to be worth constantly pointing out. Not to mention that probably at least 6-7 of the other #'s in the 50's were already taken when he was drafted. I'm sure tons of players choose #'s based on guys they admire. In fact, that's probably how the MAJORITY of guys choose #'s. I know if I were a WR in the NFL I'd sure as hell like to wear #80 because of Jerry. It's not like Pat's the first guy in NFL history to choose a # based on a guy whose game he'd like to pattern his own after. It just seems to be way overmentioned.

It also has to do with the fact that they are nearly identical in prowess and skill, as well as mentality, attitude, and invincibility.
Originally posted by Janitor:
It also has to do with the fact that they are nearly identical in prowess and skill, as well as mentality, attitude, and invincibility.

I don't think they have similar attitudes at all. If by attitude you mean personality. Lewis is FAAAAAAAR more vocal and rah-rah than Pat. Also, Tamba Hali and Cameron Wake were the 2 leading sackmasters in the AFC last year. Both 3-4 outside linebackers who have nearly identical prowess and skill in terms of rushing the passer. I highly doubt anyone makes a big deal that they're both #91. The 2 leading receivers in the NFL last year were Brandon Lloyd and Roddy White. Both #84. Highly doubt that that's ever brought up. I literally think it's only for Lewis and Willis.
Dumb thread
Originally posted by Eli_23:
Dumb thread

This
Question Answered

FOR GOD'S SAKE, IF YOU DON'T LIKE A THREAD, WHY REPLY IN (AND BUMB BTW) IT????? God damn, it blows my mind. There's so many threads I find stupid, so I just don't respond in them. Why would I wanna bump them? And how is it any skin off my back? You don't like it? Fine. Good for you. Then DON'T REPLY. Jesus.
Ray Lewis is the best ILB of all time... And Willis has arguably been the best ILB since he came into the league. And the heir apparent to Lewis.

Think about it.
Originally posted by skeetskeet:
Ray Lewis is the best ILB of all time... And Willis has arguably been the best ILB since he came into the league. And the heir apparent to Lewis.

Think about it.

But there's so many examples like that. When Willis was drafted, probably the only #'s even available were 52 and maybe like 59 or something. So he chose 52. Big stinkin' deal. T.O. was one of the all-time greats when Calvin Johnson was drafted. You can make the same statement between Owens/Johnson as between Lewis/Willis. But I'd bet a lot of money people didn't bring up that they were the same # even once when they played each other back in '07.
[ Edited by andes14 on Nov 22, 2011 at 10:42 PM ]
Ughh, blowing it out of proportion a bit?!

Just jersey numbers, that's it, calm down. lol

/thread
Share 49ersWebzone