LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 233 users in the forums

Cole: A stat that indicates the 49ers wont win the SB

Shop Find 49ers gear online
We all agree some stats are totally overrated (total offense and total defense)... I'm more concerned with points allowed and points scored which niners are rated high in both.. Niners are also tops in league for +- which is a critical stat (taking care of the football)... For me it's championship or bust (that's how us lakers fan roll) and you best believe I'm going to refer to critical stats which gets gets me to the Niners lack of 3rd down efficiency is concerning especially when u see all the crappy teams in the bottom of the league for third down efficiency (49ers are 2nd to last).. I'm viewing this as a trend developing and unless our defense creates short field and special teams set up short fields, our offense (Alex smith) we'll be exposed in the playoffs (stats prove that our offense is anemic) .....
Originally posted by global_nomad:
A word of warning to San Francisco fans who are, rightfully, getting geeked up about the 49ers' 9-1 mark. One of the key stats in forecasting the possible playoff success of a team is how much of a differential there is between yards a team gains per play and how many it gives up. Championship teams are usually at .6 more yards per play. For instance, if a team allows 5.0 yards per play, a potential title team is usually around at least 5.6 yards gained per play. For the 49ers, they are only at .1, gaining a pedestrian 5.3 yards per play while allowing 5.2 yards per play. In short, the 49ers have the statistical numbers of a team that should be closer to 6-4 than 9-1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjxmsGi72f9Y4IxBksUxsqxDubYF?slug=jc-cole_direct_snap__andrew_luck_nfl_draft_112211

Thats all you got Cole

Well we lead the league in Turnovers so maybe we don't to gain a lot of yards on offense to get points!

I agree, we have had a lot of short fields due to takeaways and special teams play. We have strugled when we have had to go longer to score, but the percentages for success go down for all teams in those situations. We have benefited from getting a shorter field for our O, so sue us.
Originally posted by GorefullBore:
Originally posted by global_nomad:
A word of warning to San Francisco fans who are, rightfully, getting geeked up about the 49ers' 9-1 mark. One of the key stats in forecasting the possible playoff success of a team is how much of a differential there is between yards a team gains per play and how many it gives up. Championship teams are usually at .6 more yards per play. For instance, if a team allows 5.0 yards per play, a potential title team is usually around at least 5.6 yards gained per play. For the 49ers, they are only at .1, gaining a pedestrian 5.3 yards per play while allowing 5.2 yards per play. In short, the 49ers have the statistical numbers of a team that should be closer to 6-4 than 9-1.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AjxmsGi72f9Y4IxBksUxsqxDubYF?slug=jc-cole_direct_snap__andrew_luck_nfl_draft_112211

Thats all you got Cole

Well we lead the league in Turnovers so maybe we don't to gain a lot of yards on offense to get points!

I agree, we have had a lot of short fields due to takeaways and special teams play. We have strugled when we have had to go longer to score, but the percentages for success go down for all teams in those situations. We have benefited from getting a shorter field for our O, so sue us.

Our offense has struggled to convert on 3rd downs ranks us 30th in the league and only the Cardinals and Rams are worst. Harbaugh needs to fix things if he wants to win in the playoffs.
Share 49ersWebzone