There are 213 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

4th Quarter Play Calling....

I agree we tend to get too conservative but I think the thought is with the way our D plays we are safe and the right thing to do is eat clock. I guess that's what we do... we aren't the GB Packers or 07 Patriots looking to win by 30 every game. It cost us wins with the Singletary regime but at least we are more capable of getting a rushing 1st down this year than in the past when the game is on the line. Plus the difference this year is we are up 8-10 to 16 points compared to where we did that in the past being up 1-3 or whatever.
49ers are playing old school kill the clock and protect the ball. Should have had another score in the second half but we turned the ball over. From JH perspective we were up 16 and the Cards would have to make 2 TDs and 2 - 2 pointers. Playing at home, you go with the odds.
Originally posted by JayDAche:
What would've happened if Smith didn't bat that pass down last week?

Manning tried to force it between Willis and Whitner, so it would have been batted down or intercepted.
Originally posted by Lott49ersFan:
Ya, the way the cardinals were driving up and down the field yesterday in their 16 minutes of possession had me really worried about it at the end. Anything else you'd like to complain about?

I remember when we were the team that did too little too late in 4th quarters the past 7 years and we were always taking that as a plus.
Not managing too well when we go 3 and out....
They score,
Then we go 3 and out...
They drive down the field. and our D saves us.

That's not play calling but more execution.
Not managing too well when we go 3 and out....
They score,
Then we go 3 and out...
They drive down the field. and our D saves us.

i believe that's what the defense is supposed to do...the cardinals ran 20 plays and we ran 19 in the fourth quarter with 13 being run plays using about 38/39 seconds per play plus the passing plays and the cardinals had about 5/6 minutes to score 23 points for tie and 24 for a win not impossible but also not likely. we ran 5 plays before their score and 5 plays after their score then after the d stopped them we ran 9 to end the game
  • DJD
  • Veteran
The game this week I suspect will force the issue a bit and playing it safe and saving stuff for the future won't be enough. I can't wait to see this team rise to the challenge and 'open it up'
i think u look back to the pats in the first year they won teh superbowl the way they used brady, relied on the defense, and played smart is pretty similar to what we are doing. building up alex but not putting it all on him but increasing his load and relying on the defense to close it. some of it is conservative by nature and some depending on the flow of the game. but i think the thing you want to take away is that in close games more often then not we have won this year. we know that if its a dirty, ugly, mucky game we have what it takes to win it. not every game is gonna b like az or tb or whatever. more often then not it'll b like cincy, giants, eagles which btw are all wins. and sure we'll have a cowboys type game too here and there but that is to be expected. i would just say to you what coach says..."it's a process"......
Nobody is coming back on us again this year....our defense aint letting that happen ever again....