There are 314 users in the forums

Should we cool it with the big jumbo formations ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by valrod33:

Originally posted by est1985:
I hate them. They do not work. Seems as if we get stuffed for no gain or a loss of yards on 70% of those formations.

How many yards has Gore rushed for again?

Now tell me the jumbo doesn't work.

He sure as hell is not getting the bulk of his yards out of the jumbo formation.
We get plenty of production from those formations. We have several big pass plays from those sets. We sprung Hunter for a TD out of the Jumbo last week. We got Crabtree a huge pass out of it faking run yesterday from the Jumbo.
I hate them. They do not work. Seems as if we get stuffed for no gain or a loss of yards on 70% of those formations.

You say 70% of the time.... hmmmm.... prove it!

I hate post like these, the OP obviously hasn't spent any time researching the outlandish facebook brain wrotted comment. I guess he just heard Billick say that we hadn't gotten any yards out of the formation yestereday and felt like that would be a good extrapolation of his feelings. I bet he doesn't even realize we have scored numerous touchdowns out of the formation and caught passes out of it.

This is just super ridiculous and the OP and 99% of grey matter he wastes daily can go back to facebook.
He sure as hell is not getting the bulk of his yards out of the jumbo formation.

Do you have any idea what you are talking about? Please provide proof for your strong assertion.
the jumbo formations are fine, work just good. No need to change what isnt broken.

Gore has 870 yards rushing on less than 200 touches, the bulk of them coming out of the jumbo formation. Did you miss the games where opposing teams could not stop the jumbo package, even though they knew exactly what was coming?
We have the name for it..

T Alex Boone(notes) has played a lot in the team's "hammer" package, and coach Jim Harbaugh said he has full confidence in Boone if RT Anthony Davis (foot) can't go.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
we need to start doing more creative things out of that formation. we do one thing and one thing only when we line up that way, for the most part. got to start mixing that up. it's coming, though, I'm sure....

We did pass out of that formation to Crabtree for a first down when he was in one-on-one coverage against the Cards. And of course we passed to Soap and Staley out of it too in a previous game. I bet there's more we haven't seen yet. Jim will have something special for John I'm sure of it!

Originally posted by susweel:
I dont mind it in short yardage situations.

I'm fine with it but we should do more bootlegs or playactions out of it. Use Smith's legs to our advantage. Also, have the TE's or even the tackles chip block and go out for a pass. Wish we would mix it up a bit more. I guess one of these times a team will put 9 in the box and we will have an easy TD though.

Like 9ersforu said we have passed out of it a few times but not enough of a mix to me. Not saying it should be 50/50 but more than 97/3.
[ Edited by Gore_21 on Nov 22, 2011 at 12:17 AM ]
Originally posted by Gore_21:
I'm fine with it but we should do more bootlegs or playactions out of it. Use Smith's legs to our advantage. Also, have the TE's or even the tackles chip block and go out for a pass. Wish we would mix it up a bit more. I guess one of these times a team will put 9 in the box and we will have an easy TD though.

Like 9ersforu said we have passed out of it a few times but not enough of a mix to me.
A nice bootleg run out of it would be a nice compliment to the package also.
Originally posted by 9ers4u:
A nice bootleg run out of it would be a nice compliment to the package also.

The only good thing about us hardly ever passing/faking the run out of it is that the few times we do do those things it should shock the defense and be a big play.
the formation is versatile and may be used to run out of now in order to execute a pass out of next week or later in the season. Im confident that harbaugh is thinking many moves ahead with his strategies knowing full well how much other coordinators will focus on trying to defend it. so that just when we appear to be predictable we do just the opposite. the cool thing is that we can run out of the formation effectively(even with 8 in the box) so it appears that the imposing our will part is working. When we really need to we will pass out of the formation . it is at this point that we will have to deliver rogaine to opposing d coordinators for all the hair they will b pulling out. Stanford runs up to four TE at once. They are now the coolest new thing in football because they serve as Oline man who also catch(settle down staley) . Versatility and unpredictability. Don't be surprised if we draft another TE high in the draft next year. Harbaugh is all about the TE and The fact that we had the most talented TE duo in the league in place for Harbaugh is one of the main reasons he has curtailed the rebuilding process that many thought to be requsite for success. Expect to see more and more TE packages

Oh yea, the TD against the giants was stuffed :)
Share 49ersWebzone