LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 157 users in the forums

Should we cool it with the big jumbo formations ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Just watch, it's bait for the next game. Harb's and crew is setting it up ... to run something different out of it for the Ravens. Bank on it.
We can do anything out of the jumbo formation: run, pass, bootleg, you name it. Just when defenses think we're going to ram Gore up the middle -- Alex can hit a jump pass to Vernon. The Jumbo keeps other teams guessing.
Originally posted by IWasWrongRubber:
We can do anything out of the jumbo formation: run, pass, bootleg, you name it. Just when defenses think we're going to ram Gore up the middle -- Alex can hit a jump pass to Vernon. The Jumbo keeps other teams guessing.

Let's hope Harbaugh adds on to it ..I know it's tempting to blast into the endzone with the big bully package, but we have left points on the field with this formation....always room for improvement
Originally posted by NeeJ49er:
Seems like the Cards were ready for our jumbo packages with Sopoaga and extra offensive lineman ..maybe the rest of the league is taking notice and preparing for it and we cant surprise anyone with it anymore

I'd like to see us throw a 5 WR formation on the field for a 1st and goal play ....what do you guys think ? ...should we keep pounding away with the big formation or use it sparringly from now on?

Like all things teams will come around to it when they seen enough of it and have tape of what is sucessful. doesn't mean they should abondon it. If say they are in the jumbo formation and it is say like 2nd and short it is still effective because they have to defend it less we get the first down, if they play it you can always go Sop or Staley as tackle eligible or quick slant or similar to VD-all those came off the jumbo package. It is a matter of Alex making the right readof whether to let it roll or check down depending on what if the call is pass or run originally and how the D reacts. Sometimes you still want to run it on like 1st and ten as the other aspect even if it doesn't gain yards is that you wear down the front seven which affects their pass rush later in the game and even their rushing D later in the game.

5 WR formations are more predictable, you don't have to worry about running, it does spread the D, but as history tells it is good when you can employ without changing personell, like putting Walker as full back with say hunter then both motioning or shifting to the WR position, this way they are in their base defense and will create a lot of 1 on 1.

Also, history tells us the spread or whatever variation you want to call it, is very effective in between he 20s, but once you get near the red zone, it is less effective cause there is less area to defend. When things break down everyone knows the receivers are to head to the four corners of the endzones and the post hoping in the confusion a defender slips up and the QB makes the quick read.
Originally posted by Janitor:
The point is to continue doing it so they have to plan for it.

this
Originally posted by Allx9er:
Originally posted by Janitor:
The point is to continue doing it so they have to plan for it.

this

Exactly 9-1
Originally posted by WildBill:
Seems like the Cards were ready for our jumbo packages with Sopoaga and extra offensive lineman ..maybe the rest of the league is taking notice and preparing for it and we cant surprise anyone with it anymore

I'd like to see us throw a 5 WR formation on the field for a 1st and goal play ....what do you guys think ? ...should we keep pounding away with the big formation or use it sparringly from now on?

Like all things teams will come around to it when they seen enough of it and have tape of what is sucessful. doesn't mean they should abondon it. If say they are in the jumbo formation and it is say like 2nd and short it is still effective because they have to defend it less we get the first down, if they play it you can always go Sop or Staley as tackle eligible or quick slant or similar to VD-all those came off the jumbo package. It is a matter of Alex making the right readof whether to let it roll or check down depending on what if the call is pass or run originally and how the D reacts. Sometimes you still want to run it on like 1st and ten as the other aspect even if it doesn't gain yards is that you wear down the front seven which affects their pass rush later in the game and even their rushing D later in the game.

5 WR formations are more predictable, you don't have to worry about running, it does spread the D, but as history tells it is good when you can employ without changing personell, like putting Walker as full back with say hunter then both motioning or shifting to the WR position, this way they are in their base defense and will create a lot of 1 on 1.

Also, history tells us the spread or whatever variation you want to call it, is very effective in between he 20s, but once you get near the red zone, it is less effective cause there is less area to defend. When things break down everyone knows the receivers are to head to the four corners of the endzones and the post hoping in the confusion a defender slips up and the QB makes the quick read.

I'm not saying abandon it ..I am hoping we can be more effective running plays from our base offense in the red zone ...a 5 WR set would just be another option for Harbaugh to throw at the defense ...I like the Big Bully formations ..I just dont like using it 3 plays in a row and having to settle for a field goal
Let's hope Harbaugh adds on to it ..I know it's tempting to blast into the endzone with the big bully package, but we have left points on the field with this formation....always room for improvement

Yes but as the saying goes, coaches coach players play-so if the coaches do their jobs, its the players job to execute, many times when they don't punch it in is becaue it wasn't excuted. Even when it seems like a Chinese fire drill, their is an option that everyone is supposed to execute. When they don't it is a cluster f**k.

On the interception, Alex should not have forced it, Staley was not tackle elegible and crossed the line of scrimmage, He must have had flashback to when Staley was tackle eleigble, Staley meanwhile thought Alex was going to run and headed up field. He did it too soon. Crab was open in the back of the end zone. Heading to the end corner flag. Alex would have had to throw across his body, but it was not impossible. However mute point since Staley crossed the LOS.
  • dj43
I believe that a good part of the mediocre performance yesterday was due to coming off a huge emotional win over the Giants and then looking forward to the Harbowl game on Thursday left this game in an emotional lull.

I know that is not supposed to happen in the pros, but it does. There is no way around it. You just cannot play on an emotional high week after week.

In this case, AZ was known to be a weaker team, and despite the "we don't like each other hype," it was obvious that the execution was just not as sharp. Players were not coming off the ball as quickly, the blocking wasn't as crisp, etc., etc.

Part of it is the fact other teams have film on it now, another part may be that JH did not feel a need to expand things against a weaker opponent, and then there is the emotional factor.

Just my thoughts...
Originally posted by dj43:
I believe that a good part of the mediocre performance yesterday was due to coming off a huge emotional win over the Giants and then looking forward to the Harbowl game on Thursday left this game in an emotional lull.

I know that is not supposed to happen in the pros, but it does. There is no way around it. You just cannot play on an emotional high week after week.

In this case, AZ was known to be a weaker team, and despite the "we don't like each other hype," it was obvious that the execution was just not as sharp. Players were not coming off the ball as quickly, the blocking wasn't as crisp, etc., etc.

Part of it is the fact other teams have film on it now, another part may be that JH did not feel a need to expand things against a weaker opponent, and then there is the emotional factor.

Just my thoughts...

I think a big part of is the rain. We had the advantage though of experience and what type of cleats are best at candlestick park. Zona players were slipping a lot on the field. Which is why if the packers come to SF and it rained and was hi tide, it would be advantage to us than us going to Lambeau.

• BROWN
  • Veteran
If it ain't broke, why fix it? It's got us to 9-1, keep using whatever got us to 9-1. They shouldn't switch their mentality especially this late in the season.
  • dj43
Originally posted by WildBill:
Originally posted by dj43:

Just my thoughts...

I think a big part of is the rain. We had the advantage though of experience and what type of cleats are best at candlestick park. Zona players were slipping a lot on the field. Which is why if the packers come to SF and it rained and was hi tide, it would be advantage to us than us going to Lambeau.

Rain may have played a part as well but I just didn't see quite the spark that we have seen in other games.
Not at all. It's like combination punching in boxing. You keep throwing them and a couple hit and the damage adds up.

If we use them and disguise them we can really surprise some people when we need it.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
9 - 1

• TX9R
  • Veteran
Originally posted by lamontb:
It's all about execution. It isn't a mystery anymore. All teams have the tape on it. The Cards just beat the Niners guys at the point of attack. That doesn't mean you scrap it, but maybe run some play action off of it or add a wrinkle to the formation.

I'm sure they're setting up for that but had no use in wasting it on AZ. With the TOs and field position we seriously could have taken a knee every possession and kicked enough FGs to win this game.
Share 49ersWebzone