There are 97 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

"The Lions beat the 49ers this year."

This is why I'm on here... If you dont know the name of every player on your own team and the players on most other teams then I dont wanna talk to you unless your willing to learn a few things from me about NFL football. I dont waste my time with ignorant football fans who think they know it all when they really dont.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:

Do you guys run into the same ignorance regarding the 49ers out there? Or is it just he idiots I run into? It's getting pretty annoying. I don't think people know what is really going on with this team this year and they are really going off of past perception.

I had a conversation last night with a Bears Fan. He's a good guy but his perception is the same that I see on the TV mostly. "The Niners have played well and really surprised some teams... Alex is a game manager and Harbaugh never puts him in a position to make mistakes... Alex has never had to put the game on his shoulders to win a game... We play in the NFC WEST..." After trying to explain the same arguements we all make for the Niners, he said at the end of the year, how playoff teams will you have beaten??? There's no getting through to people. If we don't go all the way or to the NFC Championship game, they will all be waiting to say " See I told you so" "Alex is a game manager at best" "They weren't as good as their record"
I know the season will be succussful no matter what happens from here on out, but as much as we think we have peoples respect from beating the Giants, the majority of the Media and the outside perception of us is that we win games because other teams fail. The Giants, Lions, Tampa, etc... lost those games because they didn't bring their A game. More of their failure than us actually being good. I'm telling you some people praise us now, but the second we lose a game they will have a list of reasons lined up of why we can't go all the way.
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

Do you guys run into the same ignorance regarding the 49ers out there? Or is it just he idiots I run into? It's getting pretty annoying. I don't think people know what is really going on with this team this year and they are really going off of past perception.

I had a conversation last night with a Bears Fan. He's a good guy but his perception is the same that I see on the TV mostly. "The Niners have played well and really surprised some teams... Alex is a game manager and Harbaugh never puts him in a position to make mistakes... Alex has never had to put the game on his shoulders to win a game... We play in the NFC WEST..." After trying to explain the same arguements we all make for the Niners, he said at the end of the year, how playoff teams will you have beaten??? There's no getting through to people. If we don't go all the way or to the NFC Championship game, they will all be waiting to say " See I told you so" "Alex is a game manager at best" "They weren't as good as their record"
I know the season will be succussful no matter what happens from here on out, but as much as we think we have peoples respect from beating the Giants, the majority of the Media and the outside perception of us is that we win games because other teams fail. The Giants, Lions, Tampa, etc... lost those games because they didn't bring their A game. More of their failure than us actually being good. I'm telling you some people praise us now, but the second we lose a game they will have a list of reasons lined up of why we can't go all the way.

I get that all the time too. The Lions, Giants, Tampa and Philly "weren't playing well when they played us." If they were playing well they would have beat us. We caught them at the right time. When they were playing bad. We were lucky...
Originally posted by jacklegniner:

I get that all the time too. The Lions, Giants, Tampa and Philly "weren't playing well when they played us." If they were playing well they would have beat us. We caught them at the right time. When they were playing bad. We were lucky...
If we lose the Baltimore or Pitt they will say see look what happens when you play a good team... or can't hang with the big boys. If we slip up against a weaker NFC WEST opponent it will be even worse. If we beat the WEST teams it's who cares, that division is so weak. If we beat Baltimore or Pitt, it will be because bad Flacco showed up or Pitt is resting their players for the end of the year. The Niners have "fresher bodies" because they don't have to play tough games every week. In the end, I don't care all that much, but it is just crazy to be a football fan and not think that they are doing a great job. It's idiots being posioned by the media and they don't know what else to say except repeat whatever they heard Colin Cowheard say.
Originally posted by BrianGO:
This is ridiculous. Almost as ridiculous as saying "The Niners will go 0-16 this year".

which guy said that?????was it deion or sapp
Hahaha one of my coworkers was telling me "the raiders are in first place, the niners aren't even in first" for some reason he thought green bay was in our division.
Originally posted by Snider8706:
Hahaha one of my coworkers was telling me "the raiders are in first place, the niners aren't even in first" for some reason he thought green bay was in our division.
People like that think Tom Brady and Aaron Rodgers play for the same team...They still haven't heard that Peyton Manning is injured... and Brett Farve is having a horrible year with the Vikings... Change the subject as fast as you can because they obviously know nothing about sports in general.
I work with Raiders fans and my boss is a Packers fan. Still hearing remarks like (1 and out) and (Aaron Rodgers is Aaron Rodgers do Aaron Rodgers god). Anyway...

Yea, same crap where I live (MD).

Excuse #1: "The 49ers didn't beat anybody yet." When in reality.....

We're perfect on the east coast so far this year (knock on wood). We beat the Bengals, the undefeated Lions, the "Dream Team" Eagles, put an NYPD-style beat down on the Bucs, the surging NY Giants....and yet it was all luck? Spare me.

Excuse #2: "The play in a weak division." When in reality.....

We just played our second division game. Seriously, next time someone goes to mention this...tell them don't. It just makes you sound stupid.

Excuse #3: "If you stop Gore, you stop the 49ers." When in reality....

Ask Arizona, Cincy, Seattle, Philly, and New York how that worked out for them. Which ties into my next point perfectly.

Excuse #4: "Alex still isn't an elite QB." When in reality....

The depends on your definition of elite. But I will say this. Alex Smith currently has the 7th highest QB rating in the league. That's higher than Matt Ryan, Ben Roetlisberger, Matthew Stafford, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco, Philip Rivers, Michael Vick, Andy Dalton, Cam Newton and many other so-called "elite" QB's the pundits drool over. And more importantly, he has a better record than EVERY QB in the league save Aaron Rodgers. Don't know about you, but I'll take W's over gaudy passing stats any day of the week.

The fact of the matter remains that we are a good football team. And not just good, we're DAMN good. Anyone not able to see that by now is clearly a hater beyond redemption. End.
Your need to stop having sports conversations at bars my friend lol seems like you always run into these kind of conversations with people at bars. Why do you feel the need to drink your pains away? the 49ers are 9-1 life cant be that bad
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Bears fans are the cockiest, most arrogant fans out there. I think it's Chicago fans in general. Living in chicago ruins trying to talk sports with anyone but friends

You don't know any Steelers fans, do you?
Originally posted by socalfan21:
Bears fans are the cockiest, most arrogant fans out there. I think it's Chicago fans in general. Living in chicago ruins trying to talk sports with anyone but friends

Having lived in Chicago, I can agree that Bear fans can be pretty bad. But here in Dallas, I think Cowboy fans are by far worse and the Steelers too. They were thumping their chests pretty hard after the victory over the Rams. Then after they beat Buffalo, all the super bowl talk came back. Even the media is starting to talk Superbowl again. With the way some of them are talking trash to me, you'd think the 49ers were 1-9 and the Cowboys were 10-0. I so hope they miss the playoffs. I'll be pulling for NY, Chicago, Detroit and Philly the rest of the year. Anything to shut their moronic fan base up. Then again, I'd love for the 9ers to get another shot at them so they can shut up about that lucky OT victory against us early in the year.
[ Edited by Hollywood on Nov 21, 2011 at 11:54 AM ]
I hate talking with people I don't really know. All hear is, "They have no QB and all they do is run."

I just say, "Yeah, we'll see what happens." No point in trying to explain something to people who really don't keep up anyways.
More gems of wisdom from the sports bar this week. And "we have a weak division." Of course we now played 2 games in the division so far. Just 1 before Sundays game. The perception / mis perception on this team by both the media and fan base in general is just massive. This guy was arguing with me back and forth and he was swearing up and down the Lions were undefeated and they "beat the 49ers at home when they played." He really thought I was lying to him when I said we won... Of course he was drinking. And I'm guessing he doesn't watch much football.

That guy posts here regularly under half a dozen different screen names.
In my opinion, fantasy football has ruined NFL football. Having an intelligent conversation with most people is impossible. Living in Denver, fans are already jaded but the common thing I'm hearing now is that the 49ers will be one and done because Alex's numbers are terrible. People think they know alot more about football because they are in a FF league and track individual player stats. People would rather watch the NFL Red Zone channel to watch scores than tune in to see the 49ers and their #1 ranked defense and the result is a less informed overall opinion.