There are 170 users in the forums

Vernon Davis makes it into 49ers history books

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Congrats to Vernon, what a turnaround he's had the last 3 years, dudes a beast!!!!!
I'd trade VD for Brent Jones any day
One of my favorite Niners. If the guy could ever develop hands, he'd be unstoppable. But good to see him play well today, after initially having some drops. That TD catch was the most fluid-looking play I've seen him make, I think ever--NO JUMP HOP!
Yeah I really find it amazing that Vernon already passed Brent considering all the different QB's he's had to play with. But really Vernon could be so much better if he would just learn how to catch with his hands instead of his body.

I think it's a just a bad habit for him now. Jesus Christ can he catch a ball with hands extended out???? Football 101
Gore passes the 'bar', Vernon passes Clark... the torch has been passed, what a magical season...
here is something to think about.

Vernon drafted in 06 has that many TDs with little QB help early on.

Jason Witten was in 04 and only has 41.

Am I the only guy that thinks we should consider trading Davis?

Pros: He's very fast and a great blocker.

Cons: Worst YAC of all time and not a lot of good football smarts or awarness.

His 2009/10 performance showed he can be great given the right offense (down field passing), but I just dont think we use him to his strengths. He's not a clutch pass catcher and he's horrible with the ball in his hands. This guy needs to be in an offense that likes to throw deep, we dont. I wouldn't mind if the Niners traded him for a 1st rounder or another really good player.
Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:

His 2009/10 performance showed he can be great given the right offense (down field passing), but I just dont think we use him to his strengths. He's not a clutch pass catcher and he's horrible with the ball in his hands. This guy needs to be in an offense that likes to throw deep, we dont. I wouldn't mind if the Niners traded him for a 1st rounder or another really good player.

Yup. You're the only one.
Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Nope. I'm sure I always can get Krizay to agree with me...

Originally posted by Bluefalcon61:

Nope. I'm sure I always can get Krizay to agree with me...

I think Davis can be taught more about YAC. He will get better with time and I think he can be Super Bowl MVP someday.

Absolutely! Unfortunately, TEs are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL, so we're stuck with an unusually good example of the breed.
I love how in MMQB Peter King talks about Gronkowski breaking an "illustrious" record (TD's by a TE in a season). I don't remember it even being mentioned when Vernon tied the record. If it was, it was barely, and it certainly wasn't made into a big deal like it is with Gronkowski.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
I love how in MMQB Peter King talks about Gronkowski breaking an "illustrious" record (TD's by a TE in a season). I don't remember it even being mentioned when Vernon tied the record. If it was, it was barely, and it certainly wasn't made into a big deal like it is with Gronkowski.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think I am.

You're absolutely correct. It's PK manlove for all things east coast.
Gronk is a beast though. He's like a combination of Vernon Davis and Tony Gonzalez, except bigger than both and twice as dumb.
Share 49ersWebzone