LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 395 users in the forums

Should the Niners make it a higher priority to sign Rogers and Goldson?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by BrianGO:
Do you think we can afford to keep all four linebackers? Aldon and Bowman are going to want to make as much as Willis. Brooks is going to want a pretty nice contract too.

How could we even afford to keep Willis, Aldon and Bowman alone?

I think it will be all right, LB's dont get paid like corners for starters. Willis gets his bank for being the captain of the defense and the face of our franchise, but in general the rest while making good money shouldnt break our bank. Dont discount how much they value playing here (Brooks), or know in their gut that they look as good as they do because they play alongside Willis either ( Bowman). Beyond that once we cut Haralson loose in a year or two to get Smith in the line up full time, that money can be spread around the rest.
[ Edited by PhillyNiner on Nov 17, 2011 at 5:37 AM ]
How long is Navarro Bowman's contract? He seems like a very important piece of our puzzle. I love me some Dashon Goldson we need to pay the man, so I can buy his jersey already...
the way they are playing now, I want Rogers back before Goldson. But they should resign him as well
rogers is 30, i'd give him a 4 yr deal max nothing over 4. goldson has been playing well but im in no way comfortable seeing him get huge money
  • Chico
  • Veteran
No, we should cut everyone and rebuild
Originally posted by servegmo:
I want goldson for 4 or 5 years as for rogers a 3 year deal will work, the problem is he may want to much money and in that case we will have to let him go!!

we need to resign:

Defense:

A.Brooks
D.Golson
C.Rodgers

probably extend

J.Smith
R.Jean F.
N.bowman

Offense:

A.Smith
D.Love
J.Morgan
B.Edwards
T.Ginn

probably extend:

A.Snyder
A.Boone

Special teams:

andy lee

to much people to resign or sign!! can give a CB a ton of money!!!

What do you mean extend Snyder and Boone? Does that mean sign them to an extension now before the end of the season. If yes, I totally agree, OT that can back up both spots are priceless, the team turned around when Snyder took over for Rachal. I think Snyder, Staley and Alex are close so if he would sign a 4 million dollar a year contract I would lock up Snyder.
Originally posted by Chico:
No, we should cut everyone and rebuild

Dat you TDon?
Yes on Roger and Brooks before Goldson
[ Edited by Juniorminime on Nov 17, 2011 at 7:35 AM ]
i think we lock up rogers before the end of the season. it seems he really enjoys being here. hopefully goldson doesnt try and get greedy again, ginn i dont see asking top dollar and of course alex will come back. no way he leaves harbaugh, he is grasping the offense and i can see him tearing it up next year. i hope we get edwards for another year or two because when he is healthy he is a real threat.
Hmm, between the two of them, Goldson & Rodgers, I think Carlos Rodgers is who they need to get a good deal going for. Goldson is playing well though.....still, Rodgers first.

Originally posted by BrianGO:
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:
Damn, look at this list of FA next season:

Alex Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Braylon Edwards
Ted Ginn
Dashon goldson

Alex Smith will not leave Jim Harbaugh and start over again. He would be insane if he did that after all those struggling years. He is in no position to demand a huge contract, even though he is playing well.

Brooks is going to want a good contract. Its going to be tough because eventually we have to pay Bowman and Aldon. I can't image us paying all of them. They are all going to want huge contracts. All four linebackers are going to want to be paid, and although Brooks is good, he is not as good as Aldon, Willis or Bowman. Can we afford to pay huge contracts to all four linebackers?

Rogers says he wants to be here. We'll see. If he keeps piling on the interceptions, his agent will give us Hell. If he wants ridiculous money, he's just not worth it. Our pass rush is the main reason he has been able to get the picks.

Edwards injury makes him a possibility to resign. Although I'm sure he wants to get paid big. In our style of offense, he is not as valuable anyway, so I wouldn't dish out big money to him.

The greatest thing Tedd Ginn does, is catch punts without muffing them. The next thing is his return ability, which is very good, but not really elite. If he wants too much money, I would rather sign other players.

Goldson is a tough one. He makes great plays, but commits really stupid unnecessary penalties (like kicking the football for a delay of game). Also, his hard hitting has been neutralized by the way the officials call a game. If a blow to the chest or shoulder is hard enough, the officials will flag it as a "blow to the head". Hard hitting safeties are not worth as much as they used to be.
Thats a good point about all four linebackers. But Wills is never going anywhere else, Smith still has four years here, but Bowman is the guy we totally need to lock up! I wouldnt mind seeing Brooks walk to lack him in or resign goldson. And Edwards is nice to have around for now. But after this season, he needs to go! We need to draft a young talented WR, who actually has a height advantage over the DBs that are covering him!
The Niners acting aggressively in free agency? What is the precedent? We are one of the more passive teams in free agency, and unless that changes, this could all be a house of cards, a one-year wonder.

I know many get hostile when I criticize Baalke in his approach to free agency, but if you passively sit and wait until all the top-flight free agents are off the board, and then skim off the next tier, or third tier, to try to get a bargain bin player, eventually it is going to catch up with you. You may get lucky one year, but this is a losing long-term approach. You know Rogers is not going to be the 7th or 8th rated free agent corner this year, so the Niners will have to pony up some money, or he is going to walk. Do we want to gamble again on the next 7th or 8th graded free agent CB in 2012?

I am skeptical that Baalke is going to change his stripes. Prove me wrong, Baalke.

P.S. I want to add some names to the FA list: Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, Alex Boone, Constanzo, Spillman
[ Edited by MadDog49er on Nov 17, 2011 at 10:58 AM ]
Originally posted by MadDog49er:
The Niners acting aggressively in free agency? What is the precedent? We are one of the more passive teams in free agency, and unless that changes, this could all be a house of cards, a one-year wonder.

I know many get hostile when I criticize Baalke in his approach to free agency, but if you passively sit and wait until all the top-flight free agents are off the board, and then skim off the next tier, or third tier, to try to get a bargain bin player, eventually it is going to catch up with you. You may get lucky one year, but this is a losing long-term approach. You know Rogers is not going to be the 7th or 8th rated free agent corner this year, so the Niners will have to pony up some money, or he is going to walk. Do we want to gamble again on the next 7th or 8th graded free agent CB in 2012?

I am skeptical that Baalke is going to change his stripes. Prove me wrong, Baalke.

P.S. I want to add some names to the FA list: Reggie Smith, Josh Morgan, Alex Boone, Constanzo, Spillman

Reggie...really, he never stays healthy.

Originally posted by jreff22:

Reggie...really, he never stays healthy.

Yeah, but is a BA cover safety!

you realize that the one-year contracts were the result of a flooded free agent market, right? and that few players in that "second and third tier" were unwilling to sign longer contracts with the hope that they could turn that one year into a bigger payday than they could have gotten last summer, right?

it does create a difficult situation for us, but you can't force people to sign long-term contracts if they don't want to.

and given the results your complaining about the approach to free agency is just incomprehensibly stupid.
Share 49ersWebzone