There are 132 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Should the Niners make it a higher priority to sign Rogers and Goldson?

Does anyone else agree that we should give Carlos Rogers and Dashon Goldson new contracts before the end of the season? It seems like all of these guys who get new contracts during the offseason, come back and suck! Plus Goldson is playing at a much higher leval than in the past, im worried that if we dont sign him early some team might snag him during offseason! What do you guys think?
Rogers is the priority since he is a true shutdown CB. Those guys are hard if not impossible to find. However I believe Goldson is younger and is playing really good football. He's a hard hitter, very instinctive, and causes turnovers. I really think we need him too. We have a huge hole if we don't resign Goldson at safety IMO. I really want to sign both + Ted Ginn + Alex Smith obviously. Delanie Walker too. Isn't he a FA? He helps a lot because VD is double covered. Edwards I would like but it seems he is rarely if ever healthy. Therefore I'm not sure how important Edwards is.
I wouldn't say Rogers is a shutdown corner but he plays well within our scheme. We haven't had the type of corner he is in a bit. Definitely try and lock him up but do not break the bank. Goldson is finally playing well too but I think both are complemented by the rush being generated by our front line. I know those two will get better, as well as our secondaries in general, the more we stay playing the way we do.
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Rogers is the priority since he is a true shutdown CB. Those guys are hard if not impossible to find. However I believe Goldson is younger and is playing really good football. He's a hard hitter, very instinctive, and causes turnovers. I really think we need him too. We have a huge hole if we don't resign Goldson at safety IMO. I really want to sign both + Ted Ginn + Alex Smith obviously. Delanie Walker too. Isn't he a FA? He helps a lot because VD is double covered. Edwards I would like but it seems he is rarely if ever healthy. Therefore I'm not sure how important Edwards is.

Oh yeah, Rogers for sure is top priority of the two. He has totally turned our secondary around. I just think both of them are big, and it would be awesome if we had them locked up before the seasons over..... Yeah Alex for sure! As for Ginn, if we can somehow get a good young kick returner in the draft, I wouldnt mind seing him go. I dont think walker is an FA, but I could be wrong. But I do know Brooks is, and I totally think he should be a high priority sign as well.
Originally posted by ninercrue666:

Oh yeah, Rogers for sure is top priority of the two. He has totally turned our secondary around. I just think both of them are big, and it would be awesome if we had them locked up before the seasons over..... Yeah Alex for sure! As for Ginn, if we can somehow get a good young kick returner in the draft, I wouldnt mind seing him go. I dont think walker is an FA, but I could be wrong. But I do know Brooks is, and I totally think he should be a high priority sign as well.

How many times do I have to say it? The last thing we need is a rookie kick returner that will fumble away the game like in year's past. We haven't had a kick returner like Ted Ginn since...John Taylor, if ever. He doesn't cough up the ball and he gets solid field position for us on a regular basis. I don't understand why people haven't figured this out. You don't know what you have until you lose it. That old saying applies so aptly in this case... such a short term memory most people seem to have.

As far as who we need to sign, I really hope we can hold onto Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, Ted Ginn, Ahmad Brooks and Braylon Edwards. As much as I like Dashon's hits, we need a smarter safety back there. Too bad we didn't get Earl Thomas, but those two o-line men seem to be doing pretty well now.
Originally posted by Psinex:

How many times do I have to say it? The last thing we need is a rookie kick returner that will fumble away the game like in year's past. We haven't had a kick returner like Ted Ginn since...John Taylor, if ever. He doesn't cough up the ball and he gets solid field position for us on a regular basis. I don't understand why people haven't figured this out. You don't know what you have until you lose it. That old saying applies so aptly in this case... such a short term memory most people seem to have.

As far as who we need to sign, I really hope we can hold onto Alex Smith, Carlos Rogers, Ted Ginn, Ahmad Brooks and Braylon Edwards. As much as I like Dashon's hits, we need a smarter safety back there. Too bad we didn't get Earl Thomas, but those two o-line men seem to be doing pretty well now.
Yeah your totally right dude, I mean we sucked at returning kicks before Ginn got here. I just hope that he isnt demanding top doller. If so, I just dont see the point in keeping him. But I dont think we should keep Edwards, i really think we should try to get a good receiver in the draft!
I want goldson for 4 or 5 years as for rogers a 3 year deal will work, the problem is he may want to much money and in that case we will have to let him go!!

we need to resign:

Defense:

A.Brooks
D.Golson
C.Rodgers

probably extend

J.Smith
R.Jean F.
N.bowman

Offense:

A.Smith
D.Love
J.Morgan
B.Edwards
T.Ginn

probably extend:

A.Snyder
A.Boone

Special teams:

andy lee

to much people to resign or sign!! can give a CB a ton of money!!!
Damn, look at this list of FA next season:

Alex Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Braylon Edwards
Ted Ginn
Dashon goldson

Originally posted by servegmo:
I want goldson for 4 or 5 years as for rogers a 3 year deal will work, the problem is he may want to much money and in that case we will have to let him go!!

we need to resign:

Defense:

A.Brooks
D.Golson
C.Rodgers

probably extend

J.Smith
R.Jean F.
N.bowman

Offense:

A.Smith
D.Love
J.Morgan
B.Edwards
T.Ginn

probably extend:

A.Snyder
A.Boone

Special teams:

andy lee

to much people to resign or sign!! can give a CB a ton of money!!!
Idk, Rogers seems to be comfortable here. I just dont see him demanding to huge of a price tag, and if he did than I couldnt see the niners giving it to him. He is about to turn 31, so he only has 2 maybe 3 good years left. But I just have a good feeling we will get him back for a good price. As for your list of contract extensions, the only one I can see us extending their contract in the offseason is Bowman.
After 2011

Rogers(#1 Priority), Ginn(If he doesn't get into a bidding war), Morgan, Costanzo, Brooks, R.Smith, Boone(Extend even if a EFA), Brock(One a 1yr EFA deal), Spillman(RFA), Grant(RFA), Peelle(Vet Min to compete), Gooden(Vet Min to Compete), Alex

Maybe, Braylon, might not get Goldson back, he will likely leave.

Extend contracts of Walker, Lee, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Look into Bowman.

Cut Spencer, Have tough decision on Haralson.

Later Years as it goes on, Pick up Aldon Smith's option for 2015, Extend Iupati after 2013, Get Hunter, Culliver, Miller new deals after 2014, maybe before.

If done we would have a good core long term, Hunter, Gore(Till 2014), Miller, Morgan, Ginn, VD, Delanie, Iupati, Goowin(also extend after 2013), Iupati, A.Davis, Boone, Staley, Kilgore, McDonald, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Al.Smith, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Costanzo, Rogers, R.Smith, Culliver, Whitner(Needs to stay), Jones and Spillman for STs, Lee, Jennings, and maybe Akers, might retire he is in late 30's Then decision on Crabtree, depending on length for Alex and Braylon. Brock depends on progression. Not a bad core IMO.
Originally posted by Psinex:
Originally posted by ninercrue666:

We NEED Ted Ginn real big. No rookie is going to do what he is doing. He's the best return man not named Hester. He puts us in good fied position every time. You don't let that go. We used to have guys who fumble the catch. And we can go back to that again too. It can be that bad.
Yes, but they shouldn't over pay either of them.
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Alex Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Braylon Edwards
Ted Ginn
Dashon goldson

Alex Smith will not leave Jim Harbaugh and start over again. He would be insane if he did that after all those struggling years. He is in no position to demand a huge contract, even though he is playing well.

Brooks is going to want a good contract. Its going to be tough because eventually we have to pay Bowman and Aldon. I can't image us paying all of them. They are all going to want huge contracts. All four linebackers are going to want to be paid, and although Brooks is good, he is not as good as Aldon, Willis or Bowman. Can we afford to pay huge contracts to all four linebackers?

Rogers says he wants to be here. We'll see. If he keeps piling on the interceptions, his agent will give us Hell. If he wants ridiculous money, he's just not worth it. Our pass rush is the main reason he has been able to get the picks.

Edwards injury makes him a possibility to resign. Although I'm sure he wants to get paid big. In our style of offense, he is not as valuable anyway, so I wouldn't dish out big money to him.

The greatest thing Tedd Ginn does, is catch punts without muffing them. The next thing is his return ability, which is very good, but not really elite. If he wants too much money, I would rather sign other players.

Goldson is a tough one. He makes great plays, but commits really stupid unnecessary penalties (like kicking the football for a delay of game). Also, his hard hitting has been neutralized by the way the officials call a game. If a blow to the chest or shoulder is hard enough, the officials will flag it as a "blow to the head". Hard hitting safeties are not worth as much as they used to be.
Originally posted by AB83Rules:
After 2011

Rogers(#1 Priority), Ginn(If he doesn't get into a bidding war), Morgan, Costanzo, Brooks, R.Smith, Boone(Extend even if a EFA), Brock(One a 1yr EFA deal), Spillman(RFA), Grant(RFA), Peelle(Vet Min to compete), Gooden(Vet Min to Compete), Alex

Maybe, Braylon, might not get Goldson back, he will likely leave.

Extend contracts of Walker, Lee, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Look into Bowman.

Cut Spencer, Have tough decision on Haralson.

Later Years as it goes on, Pick up Aldon Smith's option for 2015, Extend Iupati after 2013, Get Hunter, Culliver, Miller new deals after 2014, maybe before.

If done we would have a good core long term, Hunter, Gore(Till 2014), Miller, Morgan, Ginn, VD, Delanie, Iupati, Goowin(also extend after 2013), Iupati, A.Davis, Boone, Staley, Kilgore, McDonald, J.Smith, Sopoaga, Al.Smith, Brooks, Willis, Bowman, Costanzo, Rogers, R.Smith, Culliver, Whitner(Needs to stay), Jones and Spillman for STs, Lee, Jennings, and maybe Akers, might retire he is in late 30's Then decision on Crabtree, depending on length for Alex and Braylon. Brock depends on progression. Not a bad core IMO.

Do you think we can afford to keep all four linebackers? Aldon and Bowman are going to want to make as much as Willis. Brooks is going to want a pretty nice contract too.

How could we even afford to keep Willis, Aldon and Bowman alone?
Originally posted by niners4lyfe:

Alex Smith
Ahmad Brooks
Carlos Rogers
Braylon Edwards
Ted Ginn
Dashon goldson

Of this list I think only Goldson asks for more than he is worth. I am actually optomistic that we get most of these guys back. Smith isnt leaving us now after all this, Brooks and Rogers feel like we resurected their careers ( we did ), Edwards is having a bad year with the surgery and all and wont draw the dollars he would like and Ginn although a stud in the return game still hasnt panned out as a reciever the way most teams would want him to if he was going to lock up a roster spot.

Let Goldson walk if he gets greedy..as long as I can have the rest we are still in a nice position to go BPA in the draft and I trust Balke at this point to find quality replacement at the right price if need be in free agency. We are building for the long haul here boys, if you arent on the train when it leaves the station...its your loss.